Charge - Fish Shit - Mammoth P - Moonshine

sweettooth

I'm looking for that next edge to my grow now that I have some decent leds and the readily availability of a co2 system. Used a trial of fish shit before, didnt see a massive difference but I was under HPS at the time and temps were all over the place.

Ive got come charge for extra bennies this time round, i know fish shit and charge are similar products.

Ive been reading about mammoth P although there are a few haters of PGRs - does Mammoth P have pgrs? How does mammoth P also compare against Moonshine? I know moonshine is more of a nutrient booster as it breaks down the compounds into smaller parts and makes it more available to the plants. Can I combine these together?

Any users of the 4 I've mentioned? Any tips or advice about any of them?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

Used a trial of fish shit before, didnt see a massive difference but I was under HPS at the time and temps were all over the place.

Its very expensive for what it is, and for what benefit really? I'd probably swerve.

46 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

Ive been reading about mammoth P although there are a few haters of PGRs - does Mammoth P have pgrs? How does mammoth P also compare against Moonshine?

No PGRs in mammoth P in the classical sense (IE retardants like paclo), apparently got some lead in it though which causes concern for some people. Think its got alfalfa meal / tricontanol and the same stuff thats in clonex in it, alfalfa meal etc is as much as pgr as seaweed extract is, and as for the stuff in clonex well no one minds it then and no one minded it when it used to come in roots excel.

Moonshine doesn't compare to mammoth P as mammoth is bacteria and moonshine is an industrial degreaser (the active ingredient is biowash 100) thats how it breaks salts down. I trialed it years ago before they started wholesaling it and were knocking it out direct from their shop in Sheffield, gotta say the system stayed nice and clean but there was little other benefit I could tell.

49 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

Can I combine these together?

Yes if you wanted to.

• Like 3

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more Heavy metals in the fish shit.

If you buy certain fish, it literally comes with a health warning not to eat more than twice a week. That's linked with HM exposure.

Cant imagine the fish shit being much better.

I found the biggest benefit with both insect frass and Mam P was root growth,

Pretty sure insect frass has chitin and chitinase which can help against pests.

• Like 2

Just now, BarrySHitPeas said:

I forgot to add on I use the ecothrive coco with added charge. After a nasty fungus gnat infestation a few years ago, and a top dress of charge and tanlin being the only thing that cured it I have stuck with the premixed bagged stuff ever since. Top quality stuff and can attest charge + mammoth does make for some very fiberous and thick root balls.

• Like 3

You've just reminded me about application rates, I'd go lower than they suggest on the packaging it adding it by hand, it burnt a few of my plants when I added it manually in compost.

Never had any issues with the premixed charge /coco that said.

Just now, GSZZ said:

After a nasty fungus gnat infestation a few years ago, and a top dress of charge and tanlin being the only thing that cured it

And yeah I can attest to that myself.

Helps the plant help itself.

• Like 2

cheers guys. Ive always used the standard canna coco pro but have bought a tub of charge to mix in and then top dress as they grow and may try the ecothrive coco with added charge as an easier solution as to pre mixing it up manually.

Ill get some mammoth P and try that and leave the moonshine alone

On the subject of gnats, I've only had issues when I've had a bag of coco left open for ages. I'm chucking every open bag out and starting fresh this time with lots of sticky traps. done see many in my little veg tent at the moment so fingers crossed they've gone

• Like 2

I'm not sold on moonshine , got given some samples a couple of years ago at a BBQ at a hydro store , having used both bottles I didn't notice any discernable difference having added it , the foliar moonshine however was definitely noticeable , it burnt absolutely everything I touched with it , weed , peppers , spider plants, even arundo and begonias,  literally everything went crispy within 24h of application.

Not a fan.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

I think, because it’s insect shit, there is a chemical or hormone in it that makes the plant think it’s under attack from a pest which makes it produce more trichomes as they are the plants defence against pests.

or that’s what I’ve read, it makes sense but might be bro science.

• Like 2

Just now, Whatwentwrong said:

I think, because it’s insect shit, there is a chemical or hormone in it that makes the plant think it’s under attack from a pest

Yeah, that's my understanding to,  it's called a SAR response. (systemic acquired resistance)

I've read it from  many cited sources, so I doubt its Bro science, and from somewhat experience

Charge is pretty good value for performance IMO just go easy with it initially

• Like 3

No need to sound, it become it, which you already did. If you get the core meaning, that's always better than the faff that surrounds it, IMO.

If I want to know if something is bro science or not I look at multiply sources, if it's true it tends to keep showing up IME.

And of coarse personal experience, received wisdom can only teach you so much right ?

Ive opted for Tribus and swapped my 3 bags of Canna coco for Eco Thrive 70/30. Gonna keep using the neaturilse to ensure Im not killing my bennies with any surplus chlorine. Also got gifted a bottle of SLF100 to try - anyone familiar with it?

@sweettooth The BioSys "Instant Microbe Tea" is a decent product too imho, easy to water-in and gives the plants a real boost that's noticeable the next day. Has a bunch of different beneficial bacteria and fungi and is great for potting-up and stress relief for the plants. I use it every couple of weeks in veg and flower when they look like they could use a lift.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, DeltaMelter said:

@sweettooth The BioSys "Instant Microbe Tea" is a decent product too imho, easy to water-in and gives the plants a real boost that's noticeable the next day. Has a bunch of different beneficial bacteria and fungi and is great for potting-up and stress relief for the plants. I use it every couple of weeks in veg and flower when they look like they could use a lift.

Just had a look. anything by ecothrive to be fair looks good and is beneficial to the plans microbial health

• Like 1

On 19/08/2021 at 8:30 PM, GSZZ said:

Its very expensive for what it is, and for what benefit really? I'd probably swerve.

I absolutely love fish shit! Albeit it is in my soil mix.
Luckily i have an endless supply of the stuff from cleaning out the aquaponics filters so cost not a worry for me.
I add a good healthy amount to my soil mix and as a topdress throughout the grow and the plants love it.

On 19/08/2021 at 8:59 PM, BarrySHitPeas said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more Heavy metals in the fish shit.

If you buy certain fish, it literally comes with a health warning not to eat more than twice a week. That's linked with HM exposure.

Cant imagine the fish shit being much better.

Yes you're right but i wouldnt think you would find any in fish shit.

Youre thinking of fish such as tuna, mackerel, barracuda....
The concentration of mercury goes up as you go up the food chain.

As the bigger fish eats the smaller fish and an even bigger fish eats that one the concentration of mercury goes up.

Youre just not gunna find those heavy metals in fish shit thats been sold to the growers market.
It's a by product from fish farming.

No free range apex predator fish shit available as of yet...
I will search for a whale floater next time im out on the boat lol