CBD Strains - What's the high like?

yabbah

Myself and my partner haven't really smoked in about a year, after almost daily smoking for 2 years.

Im planning to do another grow and im thinking about what strain I want to do.

After such a long stint of not smoking im a bit iffy about the paranoia and anxiety from high thc strains.

Whereas my partner absolutely loves the couch lock effect from conventional indicas and is wary that the cbd strains won't give a similar effect.

I started thinking about CBD strains with a 1:1 ratio or things with lets say, 15% thc and maybe 10% cbd.

I've read that some of those new cbd strains that the likes of Dinafem, Royal queen and Sweet Seeds now sell give you a high with no anxiousness or paranoia due to the cbd content.

This really interests me but I don't want to commit to a 3 month grow of something that we may both end up not liking.

Have any of you guys grown out any of these CBD strains before and what are your thoughts on them?

• Like 5

Have you considered just buying some CBD isolate and adding to your normal THC weed to see if it's what you want ?

Personally, I prefer CBG.

• Like 2

I aint tried many but every cbd strain i have smoked has undeniably got me high, especially if i haven't smoked for a while, they all had thc in them even when sold as pure cbd I find the high kinda weird tbh and dont really know how i feel about it. Its not quite what i was expecting truth be told

• Like 6

1:1 or similar strains high is pretty much the same and it's non CBD counterpart but with added medical benefits. The CBD can take the edginess off for some people but not everyone as everyone is different.

Also you have to think about what is the cause of your " anxiousness or paranoia " as it could be caused by the high THC and could be rectified but picking a strain with 5-10%THC instead of 15%(5-10% can definitely still get you high), If it caused by psychological reasons then you have to factor in the right kinda genetics aswell e.g Sativa/Indica.

Hope this helps

Side note: When ever i try my new harvest for the first time i get a bit of anxiety before i even spaked my blunt as the anticipation of how strong it maybe makes me worry, And that can sometimes set me up to fail on the first try as my frame of mind is already in a bad place and then when the high kciks in it makes my anxiety even worse.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 9

@yabbah

I have grown a few CBD/THC strains. Most were pretty good. The only criticism, and it may be me, is that they can be somewhat "oily" if you get me? I don't know if it's the CBD content? The high as @Kickstand says is a bit weird. What you expect is not what you get if that makes sense. It is pleasant without the unpleasant feeling of impending doom. I reckon some smokers won't get on with them but a 1:1 ratio THC/CBD can and does get you stoned without the need to go outside for air

So off the top of my head:

Dinafem Cheese CBD was really lovely. A good taste and a pleasant hit

Dinafem Purple Orange CBD. Didn't like it at all. An edgy unpleasant hit. I binned the lot

Dinafem OG Kush CBD. Again nothing to right home about but fine in it's own way. 

Sweet Seeds Green Poison CBD: Bang on. You can smoke a good few and enjoy all of them with no paranoia

Sweet Seeds Ice Cool CBD. Our current smoke. Lovely piney, woody taste and a pleasant high. No edginess

I hope that gives you some food for thought?

• Like 8

11 hours ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

Have you considered just buying some CBD isolate and adding to your normal THC weed to see if it's what you want ?

Personally, I prefer CBG.

I've found cbg flower quite edgy. Had some at the end of the night and it wasn't calming, more racy.

Quite strange. Think it was siesta sidewinder from California....

• Like 2

its always good to experiment with CBD flower first (not isolate)

Get some high quality CBD flower and mix it in with your usual (When sober) So you can see the effects for yourself!

you can put the tiniest pinch of THC bud in with it or you can put 8:1, 4:1, 3:1. 2:1 ,1:1 
This in turn would be a shortcut before selecting and growing a CBD strain so you know the right ratio for your needs. For example i have a hunch that Nurse Lilly might be the daytime weed i need

Edited by vape_ninja
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, vape_ninja said:

Curious why ? What does the Legal CBD flower have over isolate in your Opinion ?

2 hours ago, vape_ninja said:

high quality CBD flower

Costs nearly as much as THC flower from what I've seen.

Hemp flower doesn't seem to be grown with much love, either. Maybe you just got a better quality than what I was able to obtain

Plus, you can accurately dose and repeat.

But if your happy with, then good on you :yinyang:

I have grown a few different CBD strains they were all the rage  when I started did Dinafem's industry plant 1:1, Haze CBD, Bubba Kush CBD

They were nice in their own way, Although i preferred the THC only variants on the same strain more if im honest , I liked the BK CBD the most.

But personally I'd prefer to jump between pure THC and however much CBD isolate I needed at the time, which isolate allows.

And it's massively cheaper  to try and instead of growing out a whole plant and the electrical running cost associated with that 

IF you like CBD then obviously worth growing out, just he might not like it

5 hours ago, M Pamplemousse said:

I've found cbg flower quite edgy

Oh, wow, really first time I've heard that.

Was it isolate or flower ?

• Like 1

Ive used all sorts of CBD over the years , first tried CBD 7 years ago CBD gum it was 
I used isolate for a long time, its more about the experience i never found it tasted that great when smoked where as CBD flower when vaped (smoked it can be a bit dry depending on where its from) is overall a much more pleasurable experience.
CBD isolate was something i was big on for a few years but i just prefer the whole synergy of Terpenes and Cannabinoids together that goes on if you mix CBD flower in the mix vs Isolate 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Kickstand said:

I aint tried many but every cbd strain i have smoked has undeniably got me high, especially if i haven't smoked for a while, they all had thc in them even when sold as pure cbd I find the high kinda weird tbh and dont really know how i feel about it. Its not quite what i was expecting truth be told

Thats interesting. It also confirms some of my suspicions that much like conventional thc seeds - where you get different phones from a pack, you may also get different phenos from a cbd pack that actually don't really have much cbd at all. It seems like a reliable product may still be some years away.

20 hours ago, Military Grade said:

1:1 or similar strains high is pretty much the same and it's non CBD counterpart but with added medical benefits. The CBD can take the edginess off for some people but not everyone as everyone is different.

Also you have to think about what is the cause of your " anxiousness or paranoia " as it could be caused by the high THC and could be rectified but picking a strain with 5-10%THC instead of 15%(5-10% can definitely still get you high), If it caused by psychological reasons then you have to factor in the right kinda genetics aswell e.g Sativa/Indica.

Hope this helps

Side note: When ever i try my new harvest for the first time i get a bit of anxiety before i even spaked my blunt as the anticipation of how strong it maybe makes me worry, And that can sometimes set me up to fail on the first try as my frame of mind is already in a bad place and then when the high kciks in it makes my anxiety even worse.

I got given some what i was told was cbd stuff on a night out and smoked it the next day - got me high the same as normal weed lol  doesn't bode well!

Have you got any good recommendations for a 5-10% strain? I kind of think its the thc that does it to me as sativa tends to not give me any paranoia. My favourite strain is amnesia and that makes most people racy and paranoid. 

I hear you about the paranoia from your grow! The more dank the more nervous lol

9 hours ago, Larry Badgeley said:

@yabbah

I have grown a few CBD/THC strains. Most were pretty good. The only criticism, and it may be me, is that they can be somewhat "oily" if you get me? I don't know if it's the CBD content? The high as @Kickstand says is a bit weird. What you expect is not what you get if that makes sense. It is pleasant without the unpleasant feeling of impending doom. I reckon some smokers won't get on with them but a 1:1 ratio THC/CBD can and does get you stoned without the need to go outside for air

So off the top of my head:

Dinafem Cheese CBD was really lovely. A good taste and a pleasant hit

Dinafem Purple Orange CBD. Didn't like it at all. An edgy unpleasant hit. I binned the lot

Dinafem OG Kush CBD. Again nothing to right home about but fine in it's own way. 

Sweet Seeds Green Poison CBD: Bang on. You can smoke a good few and enjoy all of them with no paranoia

Sweet Seeds Ice Cool CBD. Our current smoke. Lovely piney, woody taste and a pleasant high. No edginess

I hope that gives you some food for thought?

Feeling of impending doom - you hit the nail on the head lol 

i was actually looking at the purple orang cbd but im glad you chimed in! will be avoiding.

Will definitely check out the sweet seeds stuff a bit more. Thanks dude!

6 hours ago, vape_ninja said:

Get some high quality CBD flower and mix it in with your usual (When sober) So you can see the effects for yourself!

you can put the tiniest pinch of THC bud in with it or you can put 8:1, 4:1, 3:1. 2:1 ,1:1 
This in turn would be a shortcut before selecting and growing a CBD strain so you know the right ratio for your needs. For example i have a hunch that Nurse Lilly might be the daytime weed i need

I can get pure cbd flower pretty handy so this may also be a great otpion. Also a good system for narrowing down my tolerances to thc. hadn't thought of that!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, yabbah said:

Thats interesting. It also confirms some of my suspicions that much like conventional thc seeds - where you get different phones from a pack, you may also get different phenos from a cbd pack that actually don't really have much cbd at all. It seems like a reliable product may still be some years away

Thc and cbd is like a balance in the plant from what ive read about it, the old skool stuff used to have 50/50 of each. As breeders bred for higher thc the cbd levels went down accordingly. Now they are breeding for cbd and the thc levels are going down accordingly, but nothing is 100% stable so variables are always going to be there 

• Like 2

@yabbah
I'm growing two 90% Sativa that about 4-6% THC and 15% CBD. I have a diary going atm. Of course I can't tell you what's like yet tho lol

I did find Northern Lights CBD Photoperiod from Pyramid Seeds decent 1:1 can still be too strong for me at times if I over do it.

I did do Barney's Farm's Critical Cure CBD that is 5.5 THC and 8% CBD. This strain was pretty spot on for what I wanted in terms of effects stand point. But it hermed right near the end(probably stress I put it under being a noob) and I ended up with 88 seeds lol

Dinafem Amnesia CBD Auto was way to hard hitting for me and that was only 6% THC where as the NL CBD I mentioned is 10%THC but is more tolerable. Funny how different entourage effects from strains can really effect the effects of THC regardless of %

I also grew a Exodus Cheese CBD Auto from Greenhouse Seeds but stunned it. Was decent effects but the taste wasn't like proper Cheese. I do have 4 more Seeds of this that I might try giving it ago to see if there is a better phenotype in there. But prefer to grow Photoperiods nowdays.

I'm hoping this Nurse Lilly CBD ticks all the boxes I want but only time will tell.

Not sure if any of this is helpful but you never know lol:yep:

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

Curious why ? What does the Legal CBD flower have over isolate in your Opinion ?

Entourage effects for a start. And you shouldn't smoke isolate in a joint its nasty and most of it gets vaporised due to the higher temps a joint burns at compared to dabbing, i've tried with all kinds of wax and iso powered but ruins the taste for me. I do understand you still get a hit from it but no entourage effects like actual bud.

I just save crumbles and powders for the dab pen only now as it uses it more efficiently.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 2

I'm not advocating using it alone, but to add to your own THC buds, which will give you the Entourage effect just with increased CBD from the isolate.

Does that make sense?

4 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

You shouldn't smoke isolate in a joint, it's nasty

To me, all combustion is nasty.... in fact, I hear it's a killer.

I'm also a big believer of the entourage effect using CBD alone in any form without all the rest is massively underwhelming, I agree.

I add a small scope to my morning Vape, I honestly don't find it interferes with the taste at all,  I use all glass pathway Cloud EVO at low temps

and I clean my Hydro tube every time to preserve taste and I don't notice any taste issues, but obviously we are all different.

Personally, found CBG to be what I originally wanted from CBD with regard to health benefits.

Just now, BarrySHitPeas said:

I honestly don't find it interferes with the taste at all,

Yeah dabbing/vaping it is different when it comes to taste, But putting it in a Joint or blunt is horrid

As i say only for dabs/vapes not joints/blunts. But OP is looking for bud.