First soil grow eco life

Blue brother

1 hour ago, Flamedodger said:

I use ecothrive soil, and lifecycle :yep:

Thanks for getting back to me mate. :cheers: Love KISS method and simplicity! Will keep an eye on your drobe grow.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 16/08/2021 at 6:02 PM, Blue brother said:

The uva was something of an after thought, initially I dismissed it as I’ve only ever read about uvb in short doses improving resin production but I had a listen to dr Bruce bugbee saying that all uv will work it’s just all about the dosage, even uvc in super short doses. So I thought I’ll give it a go.

My time on riu lead me to a thread about far red specifically 730nm, and it’s use as a flowering initiator. Basically a 15 min burst of this light starting 5mins before lights off allows the plants to fall asleep. In nature as the sun sets in the winter they would experience this too. The idea is that more rest = a faster finish. There’s research being done by a guy on there with various lighting regimes and cycles including a 10.5 hour day with a 13.5 hour night, hes finished a known clone which is usually an 8 week strain in about 6 weeks with no loss in yield. So I thought imma give it a go, I’m not gonna mess with the day length I’m just gonna use it like I said at lights out. 

Mate it’s a myth 

On 28/01/2023 at 11:12 AM, CDF20 said:

and I believe you grew them in 15l fabric pots in Ecothrive soil using livingsoilfertilisers.

No mate, they are 50l pots.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flamedodger said:

No mate, they are 50l pots.

This is key really isnt it?  I love Ecothrive soil, but growing in 12.5L airpots or even the 23L ones, there isn't enough soil for it to work as intended with lifecycle and run a complete grow without nutes.

I start to notice deficiencies approximately 3 or 4 weeks into flowering, mainly N, even top dressing with lifecycle and using Biosys. So I add Biobizz nutes and the problem halts straight away.

I am tempted to get a 120 x 60 frame and turn the tent into a notill environment, but I think maybe I will try coco first and come back to do notill once I have increased the bredth of my experience.

1 hour ago, MidgeSmith said:

This is key really isnt it?  I love Ecothrive soil, but growing in 12.5L airpots or even the 23L ones, there isn't enough soil for it to work as intended with lifecycle and run a complete grow without nutes.

I start to notice deficiencies approximately 3 or 4 weeks into flowering, mainly N, even top dressing with lifecycle and using Biosys. So I add Biobizz nutes and the problem halts straight away.

I am tempted to get a 120 x 60 frame and turn the tent into a notill environment, but I think maybe I will try coco first and come back to do notill once I have increased the bredth of my experience.

I’ve grown in NFT, soil with chem nutes and with ecothrive and it’s by far the simplest. I did the same experiment in smaller pots like you and had to feed almost as soon as they were flipped. I’ve got a bed that will fit my space easily for no-till, just haven’t taken the plunge and I’ve not done enough grows in my cab yet. It also makes cleaning and maintenance after a grow easy. Imo no-till/organic grows broaden your grow experience more than a grow in coco would, I’m not knocking coco by any stretch it kicks arse, but it is hydro. I’ve taken the whole ‘ethos’ to my garden and grown some awesome flowers and veggies and my grass is always green lol

• Like 1

Yeah nothing you'll really learn growing in coco will translate over to no till. Obviously the environment is just as important and the same temps and humidity apply across the board, but other than that the rest is more or less irrelevant. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

What are you saying is a myth there @williambilly?

I think he's saying the effect the sun has on weed grown outdoors is a Myth lol

• Like 2

Ah, yeah I know, thanks @Flamedodger & @MindSoup  That was probably too out of context and badly put to make sense as I intended.  I just want to have a go at coco first. Then I will have had a pop at two of the most affordable main disciplines. I know it is more different to NoTill than my Ecothrive in pots is :)I'd like to try aeroponics and DWC / NFT before I call myself ready,  but all of those approached require (or benefit from) different equipment and I don't really want to spend any more than I have to. Whereas I have the coco in a bag in the shed.

I grew hydroponically in Rockwool in the 90s, got busted, didn't grow for 20 years and then have been in soil since. I just want a go in coco before going No-till as I suspect once I go to no-till, I will stay that way.  I am using Ecothrive etc, but as I am in relatively small posts, its not really working much better than if I were using all mix and even with lifecycle and biosys, there's not enough soil in each pot to make it work as its own ecosystem without nutes. IIRC No Till is really just the box and soil and then its done in perpetuity give or take.

Edited by MidgeSmith

22 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

I think he's saying the effect the sun has on weed grown outdoors is a Myth lol

Ah.  I'm pretty sure that it has been proven that it does have an effect both scientifically and empirically. N'er mind.

• Like 2

Just now, MidgeSmith said:

I am using Ecothrive etc, but as I am in relatively small posts,

I'm with you now, ima bit scared of all the ec and ph stuff, but I do want to try hempy buckets one day, just out of curiosity really. 

Looks like you've learnt the first main lesson for water only growing, so your over the first hurdle. The other big lesson that I've finally learned after 2-3 years is the value of Integrated Pest Management (IPM), I've been waiting till pests appear and then trying to deal with the issue, instead of taking preventetive measures. 

• Like 2

Just now, MindSoup said:

I'm with you now, ima bit scared of all the ec and ph stuff, but I do want to try hempy buckets one day, just out of curiosity really. 

Looks like you've learnt the first main lesson for water only growing, so your over the first hurdle. The other big lesson that I've finally learned after 2-3 years is the value of Integrated Pest Management (IPM), I've been waiting till pests appear and then trying to deal with the issue, instead of taking preventetive measures. 

Yeah.  I've been using 'Mosquito Bits' (partially successfully) to help with a fungus gnat infection that I think came from the ecothrive, so figuring out fixes for pests is definitely a discipline I will be pleased to learn.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 2

Yeah I will definitely be watering in nematodes and adding soil mites and rove beetles before I even plant in any future beds. 

• Like 3