First soil grow eco life

Blue brother

Okay so I’m at day 35 of flowering now, probably looks like a strain that will take 9 maybe at a push 10 weeks. Since I induced flowering I’ve found the plants have grown paler with purpling stems. Noticed that some pistils were amber and the bract was starting to bleach so I’ve dropped my pair of hlg 350rs down to 70% and raised them up abit. This could also be to blame for the purpling stems, but I think I’m sure they are needing more nutes.

what is it safe to add at this stage in flowering to a living soil setup? Any help is greatly appreciated Thankyou 

I also must add that I topdressed each 56l pot with fresh ewc and 50ml of ecothrive charge at the start of flower 

Edited by Blue brother

Just now, MindSoup said:

LC and EWC is all you really need to add throughout the whole cycle, but some molasses is good for mid/late flower. 

Thanks buddy, I didn’t get lc I just got charge I’ll order some tonight. 

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

@Blue brother I'm sure charge will suffice.

So far I’ve only used it as a top dress and mixed in with ewc. Is it more effective if I brew it? I did some earlier and it doesn’t look very soluble, I have aloe and yucca extract maybe they’ll help as surfactant 

• 1 month later...

Okay guys so I just finished my first run with this soil, and I’m quite happy with the quality, I got phosphorous def at about week 5 and chased my tail adding guano all the way through, I’m now ditching my 56l pots and using 450l beds, I’m about to re ammended the 220l of ecolife I have here, I was gonna just mix all my 

barley straw mulch and cover crop in with the soil, was also gonna add all the waste material from harvest, then mix in life cycle at a stronger than recommended dose. can anyone tell

me if this will be a good idea or not? I think it will but I’m just learning so would like some other opinions

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 15/08/2021 at 3:57 PM, Flamedodger said:

I’m currently in week 4 flower on my second grow using it. What I read regarding it is you don’t need to feed if using 40l+ pot sizes.
I’m using 15l fabric pots and they’ve had a teaspoon of some organic bloom amendments per pot so far and they will probably only get a teaspoon more. I give them some compost tea when in veg, but that’s all :yep:

That's quite interesting and sounds exactly how I want to grow (well after watching Mr. Canuck's grow videos). However some organic growers/gardeners keep telling me that it wouldn't work as living soil needs bigger pots. I can't get my head around it as I've seen few your diaries and it worked well.

My favourite diary is UGORG#1 Winter Shed Grow (https://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/420473-ugorg1-winter-shed-grow/

and I believe you grew them in 15l fabric pots in Ecothrive soil using livingsoilfertilisers.

Thanks !!!

Edited by CDF20
  • Like 1

It's not that it doesn't work, but that it doesn't work as well/isn't as easy. Like I was saying in the other post there's a far higher risk of nutrient imbalance and lock outs. As the pot gets root bound the microherd struggles to make enough nutrients available so you end up having to supplement and doing so accurately isn't easy because your not using an inert media, just like with salt feeds, adding inputs willy nilly isn't the best idea and can cause all kinds of issues, issues that can't as easily be fixed as they would with salt feeds. Another thing that will be unavoidable is having to dump out and remix your soil each run, something that's pretty impractical with indoor growing. Eventually that soil will also need replacing, something that doesn't really line up with your desire for sustainability. 

The comment above yours is a prime example of why people recommend bigger containers, I see the same conclusion being drawn by most people that try using solely dry ferts in smaller pots including myself, I definitely managed some half decent results when i did it, but not without a lot more work, mishaps and never without having to supplement with liquid feeds.  

By all means give it a go in smaller pots and find out for yourself if it works for you, but if you do I would recommend using peat or coco as a base, that method is well documented and Coco/peat both act as a bit of a buffer absorbing excess nutrients and leaching them out when concentrations become lower (something about cation exchange). I'm not sure that a compost based mix would have the same buffering ability as Coco/Peat based ones, so if your dead set on avoiding them I would do some proper research into cation exchange and wether your proposed soil mix would be a comparable alternative. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

Yeah, I did mine in 12.5L pots and needed nutrients.  I will keep using it and one day, I hope graduate to a full bed.  I don't grow all y ear round atm so its not going to  be a thing yet.  The soil is still a great substrate.

• Like 1

@MindSoup Thanks for getting back to me hundred times , mate :cheers:

Will do pheno hunt in pots with coco and salt based nutes and then will grow keepers in bed and keep mother's as blackpoolbouncer suggested.

• Like 1

No worries geez I could ramble on for hours and hours lol

Going back to the cation exchange, I think I got myself in a bit of a muddle. Organic matter of all types should have good cation exchange capacity and by adding (activated) biochar it should also boost it even further, so in theory your soil mix should be as good if not better than peat or coco. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CDF20 said:

My favourite diary is UGORG#1 Winter Shed Grow

Thanks mate, was a bit of a cock up at the start, but the best grow I’ve done, cropped roughy 13oz from a 2x4 tent. What I will say though, it ended up being a summer grow due my negligence and cockups lol which helped with temps and humidity. It’s a good stepping stone to getting a full no-till bed :yep:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Flamedodger said:

Thanks mate, was a bit of a cock up at the start, but the best grow I’ve done, cropped roughy 13oz from a 2x4 tent. What I will say though, it ended up being a summer grow due my negligence and cockups lol which helped with temps and humidity. It’s a good stepping stone to getting a full no-till bed :yep:

What soil and ferts did you use in that grow mate?