grow room

Highlander

High there,

Wow Dave! It sounds like a LOTTA ventilation for a single 600W bulb, IN CONJUNCTION WITH ANOTHER FAN!

What sort of temps are you getting there Dave?

What brand is the 600W MH?

I usually opt for a slightly more powerful than req'd option, but this truly seems like overkill Dave!

I would say the 420m3/hr fan in and out would do the job - what prompted you to get the 8" fan?

Regarding the tempered glass, this really isn't difficult to get. You ring a glass merchant, say you want, for example, a 700mm x 350mm piece of 4 millimeter glass, and that you want them to send it away to be tempered.

It usually takes a day for them to get it tempered, then you go to the glass merchants and collect/pay for the glass.

Once tempered, the glass cannot be altered, so make sure you choose the size wisely.

Why mention HPS's?

'Just say you want tempered glass in a confident way, not unsure, etc.

All the best,

Trichome

Hi Trichome,

Maybe I need to explain the setup - both fans are on speed controllers so neither runs flat-out. I have two tents inside the room that is used to flower in, and when I'm not there both are shut to stop light spillage into the flower room.

There is a 1000w HPS over two F&Ds in the main part & a dehumidifier that generates about 200w when running.

There are 4 55w over some mothers in one tent, that has an air inlet from the room at the bottom, the air feeds out through another hose at the top into the bottom of the 'veg' tent.

The veg tent has a humidifier and the pump in the GH system is about 50w - the bulb is a 600w Venture MH, bought from Greenfields - there's an A/C hood that is extracted into a 150m3/hr fan - why?

because it's pulling through two tents, it's the smallest fan that has the same size pipe as the hood, if it's too big I can always run it slower, if it's too small I'm up the creek.

The 750 fan is only £5 more than the 680 I needed according to puffer and the same reasons go as before. There is a long run from the main fan to the air outlet and a carbon filter on the inlet - with everything on and both fans running about 75% the room itself is 75F 40%RH - btw you're absolutley rightr, when there was a single 600w in the room a 420 would have done.

There's over 2kW to be dumped out of the room so I think thats quite good.

I hope this explains things, I really only mentioned the fan in passing, my main point was regarding the red light lost through glass. I haven't got any toughened glass and I don't want to cover my plants in shards :unsure: but you could check this with a dark red filter (like for IR film) and a light meter. I have read this in two different books but crap gets propogated through books and people copying and or not doing original research so maybe it's a crock. What makes me think it might be true is that is if the glass is stopping the heat then it's blocking the IR end of the spectrum which is only just above the visible red - and you can't get a tan through glass so the UV must be cut too - no?

Peace

David

BTW - Yes, the big one is screwed down, through rubber bungs!

High Dave,

Thanks for the explanation - sounds like a nice set-up man :unsure:

Regarding the glass, it's not toughened glass, but tempered - there is a difference.

Tempered is needed.

In regards to whether you lose through the glass: yes you do, a few %, but you can get the bulb closer, so this will more than make up for it.

It's hotter than the UK in many US states, and from the air-cooled set-ups I've seen at Overgrow.com, the loss through the glass does not matter, due to the increased intensity.

Which strains are you working with Dave?

All the best,

Trichome

Guest bc pete

is glass from vehicles, for example a side window. i know in this country the glass shatters unlike canada. laminated or something?

just recieved my heat shield today, but would love a glass set up as has been recently mentioned.

just thinking about car glass. is that not tempered?

:ninja:

bc pete

Hi all

Thanks for the explanation trichome. I'm on the case.

Dave, sure sounds like a wicked set up!!

Chip