Vitalink chill

Dsmile

Since my AC and chiller are in a constant battle with each other, im wondering if I can raise my chiller temp from 18c to 20c and suppliment with Vitalink Chill. 

Just heard of this product and a bit skeptical tbh, anyone using this product or had much success with it? 

Nice thought but its the wrong application I'm afraid, the issues with higher res temps are less dissolved oxygen and increased risk of root rots. Chill is for applications where the environment is too hot and dry, chill forces your plants to keep metabolising and transpiring even though its at their detriment - ie its too hot and dry, most people end up killing their plants with it as they don't increase irrigation frequency or lower the EC to meet the high requirements the plants need in a less than ideal environment.

• Like 5

Just now, GSZZ said:

Nice thought but its the wrong application I'm afraid, the issues with higher res temps are less dissolved oxygen and increased risk of root rots. Chill is for applications where the environment is too hot and dry, chill forces your plants to keep metabolising and transpiring even though its at their detriment - ie its too hot and dry, most people end up killing their plants with it as they don't increase irrigation frequency or lower the EC to meet the high requirements the plants need in a less than ideal environment.

Ah that makes more sense, so not even worth it to give the AC a break in your opinion? 

Puzzles me why water chillers dont come fitted with an exhaust vent for ducting, its just overheating the room, then all the hot air is being sucked into the tent. 

lights are off and been fight since 10am to get the temps below 24c, dreading what its going to be like when lights come on. last night cost £10 in electricity... 

Just now, Dsmile said:

Ah that makes more sense, so not even worth it to give the AC a break in your opinion? 

I'm not a hydro guy like this, my first thought was start looking at other systems that aren't going to cause domino problems, IE the waters warm, so you get a chiller, which then makes the room warm and in turn the water warm so the chiller is working harder to cool it down and make everything warmer, so you get an AC to cool the room down and on and on it goes.

maybe get a bottle of silver bullet roots and just run a sterile system, you could run the warmer at 20c then I guess and save yourself some headache. Tenner a night just to cool the room is a fookin joke.

• Like 4

@GSZZ

honestly been considering going back to autopots, could  open a hydro store with the amount of supplies I got lol..  Just got fed up with the substrate mess tbh but the current headaches and costs are even less appealing. 

I guess having a tent pretty much the same size as the room, with a not very accessible window, no wall vents abd south facing is just asking for problems. Was also considering down sizing the tent or even into 2 smaller ones. I have 5ftx7ft worth of space. Also got a loft but i think its risky with temps and light leaks

@Dsmile I think dtw coco with automatic timed feed is probably the most controllable hydro, without the temperature/oxygen conundrum. With dtw you don't have to constantly readjust  feed parameters, as you do recirculating either.

• Like 4

@catweazle1 never actually considered drain to waste tbh, if i change my system again I'll look into it, i just want to get some good stables grows behind me now, after all these years the shitty seem to outweigh the good grows. Cant keep throwing money at this, literally got a loft full of equipment and its not even my loft:thumsup:

Think theres much in results of autopots to dtw? 

Autopots are a sure fire way of fucking a grow up. They can be used correct to some pretty good effect and results, but then it kind of starts defeating the point of having the system in the first place. 

Drain to waste coco with drippers really doesn't get any easier. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

Autopots are a sure fire way of fucking a grow up. They can be used correct to some pretty good effect and results, but then it kind of starts defeating the point of having the system in the first place. 

Drain to waste coco with drippers really doesn't get any easier. 

Been using autopots on and off for years, never had a fuckup I could blame on the autopots.

• Like 1

Just now, GSZZ said:

@SmokeTester

Which part of that did you miss mate? 

I was referring to this bit...

Autopots are a sure fire way of fucking a grow up.

put your chiller outside the tent, get a 4 inch fan, put it beside the chiller extraction, duct it out window- problem solved

1 hour ago, SmokeTester said:

I was referring to this bit...

lol

I stand by it, an autopot is a sure fire way to fuck a grow up. You can crack em, and get a good result from them, but at that point the system becomes more work than its worth in my opinion. 

I don't care if you disagree with me, if it works for you then crack on I'm happy for you :yep:

insualte surfaces that may be heated by surrounding air

with my halea chiller i can use 22mm barrier pipe allowing it to be insulated with pipe lagging and run the pipes on walls in pipe clips 

Edited by TheGreenShabeenReturns

Just now, GSZZ said:

lol

I stand by it, an autopot is a sure fire way to fuck a grow up. You can crack em, and get a good result from them, but at that point the system becomes more work than its worth in my opinion. 

I don't care if you disagree with me, if it works for you then crack on I'm happy for you :yep:

I don't do anything special, I just follow the usual recommendations i.e. pebbles in the bottom and I always use a medium with good wicking (Light mix is my choice). I'm not looking for an argument, I am just curious what do you mean by; "the system becomes more work than its worth"? I'm a right lazy fucker.

• Like 1