What should I be prepared for, first grow?

Gaijin

Good Morning all,

I'm in the planning stages of my first indoor grow. I'm wondering if you kind folk can give me some suggestions on what to have in hand in case of infestation, what I might expect to come across, what I can do to prevent any infestation in advance, anything that will keep them bugs away in the first place? I've seen a product called the Neem Control Cube and I've listed its magical properties below. It would appear to prevent just about every issue you can think of lol Can it really be that good? Plop one in each tent and forget about them? What do you experienced growers do to prevent infestation? What do you keep on hand in case of infestation? Advice much appreciated :) 

Going by this - the Neem bucket is all I could ever need

• Efficiently eliminates grow room odours
  • Repels bugs, insects and pests (thrips, aphids, whiteflies, fungus gnats and more)
  • Includes organic neem oil, which contains several lipids (omega-3, omega-6, omega-9, etc)
  • Controls bacterial, viral and fungal infections, such as powdery mildew
  • Contains completely organic, and non-harmful ingredients
  • All-in-one long-lasting formula
  • Non-toxic to humans and does not affect growth of plants
  • Great solution for spider mite and fungi control

Clean rooms a dream room,

I don't stress much about bugs on plants, I mean if you keep a clean room and surroundings and keep your environment in check and get your watering correct you should be fine

I normally spray my plants a couple of times once they are in their final pots and before they are in flower and then just leave them too it and in my opinion nothing kills bugs like a strong chemical, I've been using abermectin lately as I found that works great with thrips which is what i always tend to have 

Whenever I've seem infestations in crops its been more to do with environment than anything 

• Like 3

Touch wood...
The only pests I’ve ever really had to deal with in my years of growing is fungus gnats. And that’s only affected one or two of my most recent grows. Turns out it was caused by a particular bag of canna soil I brought from my local grow shop. 
Best way of combating this is to bake your soil in the oven prior to using it.

• Like 1

Why are you worrying about pests with an indoor grow - do you have open vents or something?

mysticriver

• Like 1

The only pest I saw was a few Fungus Gnats and I think that was from the worm castings tbh, if you keep it clean (no pets, pests, pubes etc) and don't bring in plants from outside then you can worry less about blasting them with Neem.

Neem is apparently bad for the ballz but maybe it's all a plot from Monsanto!

• Like 1

@cannaboy_420 So keep the environment as close to spot on as possible, keep the room clean, intake vents screened, that kind of thing. ok

@Tegridy Farms  @mysticriver   It had occurred to me that I'll be inside a cabin, inside a room in the cabin, inside a tent. All pristine and brand new. Any air intake from the outside will be screened. Really I would have to carry the bugs in there on my person.

Which is why I'm asking the question. Not really sure if I need to be prepared for anything or not 

• Like 1

If you've got pets, have a garden with patio doors open, work on a site or in the great outdoors, you will run into pests sooner or later. 

Neem cake broken up on the compost or coir will help. 

By far the pest defence is a couple of spray sessions with harkers. 

Just now, DeltaMelter said:

The only pest I saw was a few Fungus Gnats and I think that was from the worm castings tbh, if you keep it clean (no pets, pests, pubes etc) and don't bring in plants from outside then you can worry less about blasting them with Neem.

Neem is apparently bad for the ballz but maybe it's all a plot from Monsanto!

Yeah so really a matter of watching what I introduce into the environment myself, and keeping it clean

And watching for anything that's bad for the ballz :ohmygod:lol 

• Like 2

Just now, Gaijin said:

@cannaboy_420 So keep the environment as close to spot on as possible, keep the room clean, intake vents screened, that kind of thing. ok

@Tegridy Farms  @mysticriver   It had occurred to me that I'll be inside a cabin, inside a room in the cabin, inside a tent. All pristine and brand new. Any air intake from the outside will be screened. Really I would have to carry the bugs in there on my person.

Which is why I'm asking the question. Not really sure if I need to be prepared for anything or not 

keep your room clean and get your environment good and even if you get the odd bug you will be fine,

I do maintenance sprays just before flower and leave them to it then 

• Like 1

Just now, fatboy77 said:

If you've got pets, have a garden with patio doors open, work on a site or in the great outdoors, you will run into pests sooner or later. 

Neem cake broken up on the compost or coir will help. 

By far the pest defence is a couple of spray sessions with harkers. 

I'll be the only one going into the room. That's the plan anyway, please god lol 

There may be cats eventually, she tells me :doh: but they will be in the house and garden NOT in the cabin

I'll go Google this Harkers product you mentioned. Thanks 

Harkers harka mectin or I've been using plant vitality killermite recently, i only ever spray plants in veg and spray them even if there's nothing on them just to be sure before I switch to flower

Edited by cannaboy_420
  • Like 1

Just now, cannaboy_420 said:

Harkers harka mectin or I've been using plant vitality killermite recently, i only ever spray plants in veg and spray them even if there's nothing on them just to be sure before I switch to flower

@fatboy77 yeah spamazon went crazy with results just searching for "harkers" lollol The Neem cake was easier to find. I'll get a kilo of that to start off with. Plant Vitality killermite? I'll go take a look. Not really sure which Harkers I should be looking for though 

Just now, fatboy77 said:

Cats are cunts, you definitely need to take precautions. 

lol:rofl:  indeed. I shall pass your words on to my missus, from a distance lol 

• Like 3

Just now, Gaijin said:

@fatboy77Not really sure which Harkers I should be looking for though 

Harkers mectin (pet life).  Spot on treatment for pigeons. 

Just now, Gaijin said:

:rofl:  indeed. I shall pass your words on to my missus, from a distance lol 

Got two so I'm qualified.  One such cunt is stretch scratching the shit out of one tent right now.  Pricks.