Telling the difference between a spider mite and predator mite ?

HazyHashMan

Caught the start of a spider mite infestation a week or so ago, released a load of predators 5/6 days ago and hoping they make short work of them as i bought way more than recommended. Been checking up on the girls and noticed quite a heavy grouping on some top fans closest to the light. Since iv released predator im inclined to just leave them alone as they could be the predators themselves and wouldn't want to kill them, on the other hand if they're spider mites then could be the predators aren't working

large.B351C0E2-6202-47E8-ACDA-19F131D8E22C.jpeg

Edited by HazyHashMan
Add photo

What’s the name of the predators? Are they Phytoseiulus? If they look different to borg then we can maybe look up the difference on google images and identify them better.
I can’t be certain and may be wrong but in your pics to my stoned eyes they look like the borg to me. Dark spot in the middle of the body cluster of legs at the front.

Edited by vapeOguy
  • Like 1

@vapeOguy The species is Phytoseiulus persimilis, im starting to think it's the predators iv pictured as i released a good 1000 in there 6 days ago + a load of the foil sachets on top and the tent is tiny only 120x90x180cm and they recon population can double in 2 days when the temps and humidity is right, which mines basically bang on. If thats right that could be why im seeing so many little bugs and fingers crossed is the imminent death of all the spider mites. What are the borgs you mentioned in your comment ? Haven't heard of those

Iv seen pics of the predators on google and it's too hard to tell tbh, They look so similar to spider mites i'd need a good macro lens to get a good enough shot. If they are the predators it could be good news since they apparently turn red shortly after eating spider mites and can't see any red bugs in there when i could spot the odd one or two a week ago which could mean all the spidermites are already long gone, still see eggs on the under sides of some leafs though hopefully it's just left overs

Edited by HazyHashMan

I reckon they're predators, it's hard to tell from a photo but they look too big to be spider mites to me.

My understanding is that when they have eaten all of the spider mites they turn on each other so the numbers should drop off quite sharply if they are predators.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HazyHashMan said:

@vapeOguy The species is Phytoseiulus persimilis.

What are the borgs you mentioned in your comment ? Haven't heard of those.

I was just going by google pics, that species all seemed to be red. But I see you’ve read they turn red after dining on the “borg” = spider mite. ( I hate even typing it:crybaby:).

I picked borg up from the internet somewhere I have no claim to attaching it to spider mites. Very fitting tho.

14 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

I reckon they're predators, it's hard to tell from a photo but they look too big to be spider mites to me.

I agree they do look pretty big but the leaf might be pretty small:rofl:. Absence of webbing for that many bodies is a good sign tho so.. I’m stumped.
Time will tell. Stay vigilant and good luck :yep:

• Like 1

@vapeOguy @latigid aikon Managed to find some actual mites it seems in one of the propagators i have on the side and they're definetly predators now, the spider mite i found on one of the clones was tiny in comparison to the ones in the photo so think you're both onto something with the size difference :yep:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HazyHashMan said:

@vapeOguy @latigid aikon  the spider mite i found on one of the clones was tiny in comparison to the ones in the photo so think you're both onto something with the size difference :yep:

Get your ruler out 1/50th of an inch for an adult spider mite apparently  :skin_up:

Edited by vapeOguy

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, the things in the picture im still not 100% sure which they're but i might be more leaning they're two spotted spider mites. Which are usually a brown or yellow colour. Different from the usual red mites.

In the end im deeming the predators a failure here, wasn't that big of an infestation could hardly notice them when i released the predators and has only gotten worse since with visible webs about now.

12 hours ago, HazyHashMan said:

two spotted spider mites

they start off green/beige with the two spots then mature to red over time as far as I'm aware:yep:

• Like 1

@buddy13 Ah nice that'll be why they're all still brown then. Just sprayed them all up with some harker spot on for pigeons yesterday so fingers crossed that's the last of em. Can't see any movement so good sign so far :thumsup:

• Like 3

19 hours ago, HazyHashMan said:

@buddy13 Ah nice that'll be why they're all still brown then. Just sprayed them all up with some harker spot on for pigeons yesterday so fingers crossed that's the last of em. Can't see any movement so good sign so far :thumsup:

Just make sure you spray them again in 3 days then again 3 days later focusing on underside of the leaves.:yep:

• Like 1

I had spider mites a few years back, only way I got rid was at then end of the grow, I bombed the tent 3 times to make sure and then alcohol wiped everything down another 3 times ( after each bomb) maybe overkill but they can hibernate and come back when you start again I believe, they have never come back after that, I have 1 pair of trainers specifically for the tent now and if I'm in the garden or been in any grass at all change your clothes and take a shower depending on what I've been doing, I feel for you man they are horrible little things and a nightmare to get rid of :(

• Like 1