Bug Free Organic Compost or Soil Anyone?

PabloAcuario

Are my expectations too high? Should I be able to get organic compost or soil without gnats?

Over the last 18 months I’ve got totally fecked off with gnats in my organic compost/soil :wallbash:

Anyone recommend a organic compost/soil that’s not....Teaming with Gnats :naughty:

If I get plenty of feedback I might even write a book on it…:eek:

I have about 20 20cm X 10cm yellow stickey things all over my room at the minute which seems to keep them at bay

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JungleGeorge said:

I have about 20 20cm X 10cm yellow stickey things all over my room at the minute which seems to keep them at bay

Same here. I think I need to buy shares in the company that the yellow sticky things :wallbash:

In one three metre bay window I put two full size yellow stickies and six 1L airpots with small plants.

Both stickies were covered in gnats within days :( In addition to loads being on the stickies the window ledge was covered in dead ones zapped by Poundland Vapona style killers.

Getting fed up with the little beggers.

Also consider where you're buying it from and how they store it, Like not outside:yep:

• Like 3

Get some Hypoaspis miles predator mites. They'll make short work of it and they're really hardy species too and cheap unlike some predators for other pests. Says they go upto 4 weeks without food so if you have gnats flying around they should last months for protecting. From past experience using predators you probably won't see any gnats after a week or two they can work quick for little things you can hardly see

• Like 4

Plant magic soil supreme, used about 6 bags of the stuff so far and never once seen a bug. On the other hand, used mother earth multi purpose compost 100% peat and made by the clover people and, not the end of the world, this is full of soil mites.

None of the "soil" is organic but they contain organic matter as food.

Other than that, coco + earthworm castings + organic dry ammendments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Subliminal Criminal said:

Biobizz never seems to have any unwanted visitors.

Depends where you buy it from, The big river seems to be a place to avoid buying BioBizz soil going off the reviews.

Tho i have bought a few different soils from the big river and never had Gnats myself, only had them in my first grow and i bought that from a wilko store that was stored inside. So can be trial and error with a little bit of luck i guess.

In terms of soil quality Clover MP has been the best I've used to date. I've not tried BioBizz soil yet due to only being able to source it from the Big River. I would like to try it one day i just need to find a reliable source that store it so it don't become contaminated. Where do you get yours?

Edited by Military Grade
Spelling
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Military Grade said:

Also consider where you're buying it from and how they store it, Like not outside:yep:

I think this is a very good point.

The two products I've been using are from BioBizz and Canna both from the same supplier.

Although the supplier is supposed to be the UKs number one supplier.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HazyHashMan said:

Get some Hypoaspis miles predator mites. They'll make short work of it and they're really hardy species too and cheap unlike some predators for other pests. Says they go upto 4 weeks without food so if you have gnats flying around they should last months for protecting. From past experience using predators you probably won't see any gnats after a week or two they can work quick for little things you can hardly see

Brilliant, thank you. Just searching now...

• Like 1

@PabloAcuario Hope im not too late but if you order some predators from that Dragonfli site most people on here use. Use code : RETURN10 It's just a generic code they send out with all first orders so you can get 10% off, me and mates have used it works for everyone

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HazyHashMan said:

@PabloAcuario Hope im not too late but if you order some predators from that Dragonfli site most people on here use. Use code : RETURN10 It's just a generic code they send out with all first orders so you can get 10% off, me and mates have used it works for everyone

Brilliant

Thank you :notworthy:

Not ordered yet so the code will be useful.

Also, whilst clearing out and tidying up after a premature chop I've found some Mozzie Dunks in the cupboard :naughty:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Military Grade said:

Depends where you buy it from, The big river seems to be a place to avoid buying BioBizz soil going off the reviews.

Tho i have bought a few different soils from the big river and never had Gnats myself, only had them in my first grow and i bought that from a wilko store that was stored inside. So can be trial and error with a little bit of luck i guess.

In terms of soil quality Clover MP has been the best I've used to date. I've not tried BioBizz soil yet due to only being able to source it from the Big River. I would like to try it one day i just need to find a reliable source that store it so it don't become contaminated. Where do you get yours?

The last few times I've bought soil, be it BB light mix (20litres for seedlings) BB Allmix etc it's been from the big River site.

I suppose it's the luck of the draw (sic) where your soil has been stored and if the seller has been careful with it. 

I would buy from and support my local hydro shop but a to z is just more convenient sometimes and I assume a lot of hydro shops will be sellers on there. I try to avoid the auction sight as I had to return too much stuff. I don't have a vehicle at the moment so..

In my previous grows I've been very lucky I suppose, I've no bugs or parasites no Hermies no problems much at all.

In the grow before this, I mixed my soil supreme with Coco and even stored it outside in sealed storage bins. 

It seemed to store well like this and the only bugs I got was a centipede and a few wood lice.

I wanted to stock up on soil and didn't have much room and didn't want to store it inside.

I don't know much about soil and no til business, I have briefly read the true living organics book.

There must be many ways to treat soil such as neem oil (on the plants themselves) which I have used and I'm sure you can cook soil in a oven to kill off the pests etc they'll be loads of info on here about that but I've just never needed to.

Using insect traps you know the sticky yellow ones and preventative measures like that

Best of luck man

Subs

Edited by Subliminal Criminal
  • Like 1

If the likes of bio bizz is stored outside it would hardly make shit all difference so long as the bag aint punctured. 90% of the bugs etc are in the dirt before it's bagged, some gets treated with heat etc some don't.

Toke...

• Like 1