Loft grow. Reduced height growing???

Bobcharlieeeee

17 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

Use clones, less stretch. 

Yeah this 100% I've been growing clones in a height restricted loft for a decade without a second thought but I popped some beans recently and the stretch really took me by surprise.

large.IMG_3239.jpg

That's about 1.6m floor to ceiling, thats also Girl Scout cookies, and Gorilla x Peyote - both leggy sat dom hybrids - veg to about 900mm - 1m. I wouldnt go full on Trainwreck sativa obviously - but if you cjeck my diary link theres some useful info about loft/roof space growing.

Sometimes its gets a bit outa hand...in fact most of the time for me, but then again its ok, thats the fun. I average 1.5gpw from my LED on 75% in a 1.2m2 grow area. I use mainly use 6.5L and 11L pots, but ive flowered 2L pots and 20L pots in there...

large.IMG_3073.jpg

large.IMG_2003.jpg

I lowered the light for this plant as i flattened out the canopy - she gave up about 12oz dry i think from memory. I still had 4 other plants in there too...Supercropping, tying and training are your friends, but if you time it right you dont need to :)

Loft spaces are wicked mate :)

• Like 2

My space almost the same shape only 40cm less headroom . I have grown a few leggy sativas and laid them on their side ,but even when growing in larger spaces I'd try to keep plants topped and as prostrate as I could with bending ,kinking stems . 

I'd write a paragraph or three on keeping a cut from the best seed plant because it'd be more squat than the donor and flower a tad quicker ,generally with less stretch but this experience of mine has been questioned and I assumed the clones were sexually mature without the cotyledon stage and longer ,leggy structure at the base but only generally . Anyway ,cuts may ,or my not or might stretch 3x more after 12/12 than the seed mother ,but I wouldn't gamble on it . I'm up against the experience of the elders though so take my advice with a pinch of salt . 

• Like 1

In that sort of area i'd either do sog still with loads of squat indicas preferably from clone so you can flower them straight away or i'd do one big sativa and scrog it lengthways in every direction. It's definetly dooable

9 hours ago, zeroG said:

large.IMG_3239.jpg

That's about 1.6m floor to ceiling, thats also Girl Scout cookies, and Gorilla x Peyote - both leggy sat dom hybrids - veg to about 900mm - 1m. I wouldnt go full on Trainwreck sativa obviously - but if you cjeck my diary link theres some useful info about loft/roof space growing.

Sometimes its gets a bit outa hand...in fact most of the time for me, but then again its ok, thats the fun. I average 1.5gpw from my LED on 75% in a 1.2m2 grow area. I use mainly use 6.5L and 11L pots, but ive flowered 2L pots and 20L pots in there...

large.IMG_3073.jpg

large.IMG_2003.jpg

I lowered the light for this plant as i flattened out the canopy - she gave up about 12oz dry i think from memory. I still had 4 other plants in there too...Supercropping, tying and training are your friends, but if you time it right you dont need to :)

Loft spaces are wicked mate :)

Looks good mate. Is that 1.6m in the middle to the ridge?

do you ever have to turn your light down atall if they get too close?

do you know the footprint of the space? Your space and size looks basicly the same as mine

what are you using for ventilation?

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee

28 minutes ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

Looks good mate. Is that 1.6m in the middle to the ridge?

Its actually about 1.7 to the light, as thats the top of the space ;) - giving 10cm grace lollollol

do you ever have to turn your light down at all if they get too close?

Nope, I supercrop them, fold them over, bend and train them into a mess to untangle at the end ;) , I Use the tangle to support the plants (and tie that to the light as well) as I cant ever get a screen in there...So i tie buds to the light and do 'whats necessary' lol

do you know the footprint of the space? Your space and size looks basicly the same as mine

im about 1.7 wide and about 2m front to back, giving me tending and maintanance space - cant be shoehorning into tent, you canny move properly...but the grow area is 1-1.2m2 - give or take

what are you using for ventilation?

I have a ruck 125mm intake fan I use to cool the room that draws cool air from my eaves, or when I turn the light up to full - with the kinds of PAR and PPFD these pro LEDs throw down, you need to keep your Co2 up at its highest natural ppm  - otherwise my intake is largely passive - its a loft space, its naturally a bit drafty lollol ...I use a 150mm extraction fan with a Rhino pro filter (600mm version with the 900cuFt draw capacity - i think?)   and I have 2 movement fans to keep shit moving and groving, that I also alternate 1 or both or none, depending on what the plants are doing...

Bear in mind you need a warm room with LED - No IR heat, so you have to bring it, however a 9mm or an AK isnt the right kind of heat lollollol you need rads and ceramic fan ;)

The rest you can read in my link...Its all there.

:)

1 hour ago, zeroG said:

Its actually about 1.7 to the light, as thats the top of the space ;) - giving 10cm grace lollollol

Nope, I supercrop them, fold them over, bend and train them into a mess to untangle at the end ;) , I Use the tangle to support the plants (and tie that to the light as well) as I cant ever get a screen in there...So i tie buds to the light and do 'whats necessary' lol

im about 1.7 wide and about 2m front to back, giving me tending and maintanance space - cant be shoehorning into tent, you canny move properly...but the grow area is 1-1.2m2 - give or take

I have a ruck 125mm intake fan I use to cool the room that draws cool air from my eaves, or when I turn the light up to full - with the kinds of PAR and PPFD these pro LEDs throw down, you need to keep your Co2 up at its highest natural ppm  - otherwise my intake is largely passive - its a loft space, its naturally a bit drafty lollol ...I use a 150mm extraction fan with a Rhino pro filter (600mm version with the 900cuFt draw capacity - i think?)   and I have 2 movement fans to keep shit moving and groving, that I also alternate 1 or both or none, depending on what the plants are doing...

Bear in mind you need a warm room with LED - No IR heat, so you have to bring it, however a 9mm or an AK isnt the right kind of heat lollollol you need rads and ceramic fan ;)

The rest you can read in my link...Its all there.

:)

Cheers for the advice

mine is 1.3m to the light. So with a 300mm pot iv only got 1000mm grow height at maximum!!

youv got bags of room at 1.7m ;););):) 

i plan on having my ventilation intake from inside my house. So it should stay around the same temp as inside the house

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

mine is 1.3m to the light. So with a 300mm pot iv only got 1000mm grow height at maximum!!

1000mm including light is more than enough

large.sd-day-59.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, highgrower said:

1000mm including light is more than enough

large.sd-day-59.jpg

Thats what i like to see! Are they autos??

what light are you using? 

is that 1000mm from floor to light? Or floor to top of the box

48 minutes ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

Thats what i like to see! Are they autos??

what light are you using? 

is that 1000mm from floor to light? Or floor to top of the box

Total height of drobe is just under 99cm - width about 60cm and depth a bit under 60cm.

Light scope v2 220w - top result from the space just under 300g since switching to led - I did have a 250w hps in there and that was fine in that space as well with a bit of burnt tips occasionally.

Normal plants scrogged not autos - in that pic the 2 plants at the back were from seed and the 2 at the front were cuts - all plants in 6 litre pots.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Bobcharlieeeee

It's easily doable. My grow space is 400x400x1200, in there I have my filter at the top, my light underneath that and 100mm acoustic ducting running down the inside giving me much less usable space. 

My last grow was a pure sativa in a 5 litre fabric pot and it yielded me about 2.2oz, but I'm a pretty slap dash grower lol

In my very humble opinion autos aren't the way to go for small spaces as you get less control over the growth of the plant, but that's just, like, my opinion, man lol

My current grow is at 4 weeks flower and hopefully has stopped stretching. I topped them 3 times and used some plant benders. They are 110mm from the bottom of the pot to top of the tallest flower. I did try and mainline them, but I split a branch and thought fuck it let em do their thing. My last crop I mainlined, topped 3 times and tied them down. Each plant produced 8 colas. I pulled just under a gram per watt and over 4oz from one plant, none of them got taller than 800mm from the bottom of the pot. if you’re looking to save headroom it’s well worth the effort :yep:
I agree with silvester about not doing autos, they can get large and you have no control over it other than pot size. I’ve done a couple of auto grows and they have been bigger than the photos in the same size pot..

Good luck with your grow :smokin:

• Like 1