Loft grow. Reduced height growing???

Bobcharlieeeee

Hi guys

im looking into starting a grow in a loft space above my garage. Its not a full height loft space only being above the garage. with a pitch height of 1.5m

once i have added a light the grow height reduces to 1.3m. then a 250mm pot height im at around only 1m in grow height

is this even feasible? 

drawing showing dimensions here

my plan is to use short Autoflowers with lots of lst

once /if the plants reach the light i plan on using a dimmer to turn the light down to prevent Scortching. thats one reason i plan to use the light i have chosen due to the large coverage area which i hope will let me run it at a lower power

Cheers

0209A112-A09C-477C-B256-986811155CE0.jpeg

Edited by lildaveham
Please don’t link to offsite hosted pics. Upload them to your gallery here then you can insert them into a post. Cheers
  • Like 1

@Bobcharlieeeee Most definitely possible with a bit of LST or scrog.  My tent is 130cm tall, subtract 10cm for the light and 20cm for the 11l pot.  Leaves me around 100cm to play with.  LST is essential.  Indica dom autos are easy as most stay squat anyway but Sativas can be trickier and need more tying down, being more gangly. 

Of the 6 autos I've grown, only 1 had height issues and got burnt.  This was a big sativa and it was my fault for being too hands off with that grow and I didn't make a good job of LST. 

Nothing stopping you buddy, get cracking :yep:

• Like 1

Just now, BudJ said:

@Bobcharlieeeee Most definitely possible with a bit of LST or scrog.  My tent is 130cm tall, subtract 10cm for the light and 20cm for the 11l pot.  Leaves me around 100cm to play with.  LST is essential.  Indica dom autos are easy as most stay squat anyway but Sativas can be trickier and need more tying down, being more gangly. 

Of the 6 autos I've grown, only 1 had height issues and got burnt.  This was a big sativa and it was my fault for being too hands off with that grow and I didn't make a good job of LST. 

Nothing stopping you buddy, get cracking :yep:

Nice one, this is what i like to hear

iv had people tell me in the past that scrogs dont work for autos, but iv never seen why that would be

what pot size would you recomend? Iv heard that can keep plants small also

im hoping that worse comes to worse and they do reach the light that i can just turn the power doen abit with a dimmer

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee

Go for larger fabric pots, they are wider than they are tall. Personally I wouldn't do autos, never had any success with them, stick to a quality pure indica / mainly indica and top and lst it. I can keep an idica under 1m. good that youre going for leds, I've got some SLH touching the bars with no issues

Just now, Bobcharlieeeee said:

Nice one, this is what i like to hear

iv had people tell me in the past that scrogs dont work for autos, but iv never seen why that would be

what pot size would you recomend? Iv heard that can keep plants small also

im hoping that worse comes to worse and they do reach the light that i can just turn the power doen abit with a dimmer

I use 11l square pots and wouldn't go any bigger.  I can comfortably grow 2 in my 75cm x 75cm space, 3 at a push I reckon but I haven't tried it.  

A good tip is to drill holes in the pot top to give you something to tie them to.   

I'll be growing a couple of photoperiods soon.  Like you, I started with autos as I thought I didn't have the headroom for photos but seeing other grows on here made me realise it's possible. 

My diy grow cab with two split levels cab size is just under 8ft tall in total so yeah you have plenty of space.

large.60f570ac16ff7_DinafemWhiteSiberianDay48FlowerFullplantimage.jpg

large.60fbfe1648b08_DinafemStrainsTopShelfDay53Flower24-07-202.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, tokenroll said:

My diy grow cab with two split levels cab size is just under 8ft tall in total so yeah you have plenty of space.

large.60f570ac16ff7_DinafemWhiteSiberianDay48FlowerFullplantimage.jpg

large.60fbfe1648b08_DinafemStrainsTopShelfDay53Flower24-07-202.jpg

What lights you running mate? I like the coverage you are getting

thats why i was looking at a quantum bar style light

do you ever have to turn your lights down if they get close?

3 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

Go for larger fabric pots, they are wider than they are tall. Personally I wouldn't do autos, never had any success with them, stick to a quality pure indica / mainly indica and top and lst it. I can keep an idica under 1m. good that youre going for leds, I've got some SLH touching the bars with no issues

I like the sound of the fabric pots

have you got a link? Or a gallon size? 

this will be my first grow so i want to start off with autos just to get myself into it

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee

Im running 16 single row strips on the roof of each level and some strips on the walls. Can run them at 340 watts per level with no problems. At the minute they are running at 280 watts per level to keep temps in check at 30c. Some of the lower branches are only a few inches of the side lights. Works great but it was not cheap to do it.

Give Adam site led sponsor a shout with what sace your going to have etc and im sure he will have something to suit. Even the scopex 100 4ft long strips would be a good bet ie 4ft bars x4 all on their own drivers and will max out about 320 watts, it's what i would use now if building a new system.

Toke...

Edited by tokenroll
  • Like 1

@sweettooth there is a small plant growing up the back left side of the bottom cab and only getting light from the side lights and i reckon it will be about 1.5oz once harvested. Next run will be better as i will be running smaller pots and will have vertical scrog plants growing around all walls and at the doors, these will be under the main canopies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

Im running 16 single row strips on the roof of each level and some strips on the walls. Can run them at 340 watts per level with no problems. At the minute they are running at 280 watts per level to keep temps in check at 30c. Some of the lower branches are only a few inches of the side lights. Works great but it was not cheap to do it.

Give Adam site led sponsor a shout with what sace your going to have etc and im sure he will have something to suit. Even the scopex 100 4ft long strips would be a good bet ie 4ft bars x4 all on their own drivers and will max out about 320 watts, it's what i would use now if building a new system.

Toke...

Do you think i could mount lights straight onto the pitched roof instead of suspending them in mid air? Will increase the head height 

what lights are you using? I was thinking about building some led lights to keep costs down

Just now, Bobcharlieeeee said:

Do you think i could mount lights straight onto the pitched roof instead of suspending them in mid air? Will increase the head height 

what lights are you using? I was thinking about building some led lights to keep costs down

That would certainly work. The scopex lights have a hinge in the middle and can fit into the apex of a room - great idea, plus you'll be getting light form all kinda angles

Just now, sweettooth said:

That would certainly work. The scopex lights have a hinge in the middle and can fit into the apex of a room - great idea, plus you'll be getting light form all kinda angles

I could potentially mount some on the side walls

how many watts would i need for 1.5x1.5m roughly? 

would the 600w kingbrite be enough?

Sorry to hijack but @tokenroll that grow cab looks like a thing of beauty, I don't suppose you did a build guide or anything as I am looking for inspiration.

• Like 1