Bud rot week 7 of flower

YOREEL

Gutted ain't the word.....finding everywhere now!

Thick resinous rotting bud

large.20210727_190025.jpg

Not sure if its the start in the centre...

large.20210727_190029.jpglarge.20210727_185917.jpglarge.20210727_185907.jpg

Trichs @ WK7

large.210727_185715.jpglarge.210727_185709.jpg

Gonna chop today and see if I can save it.....got a feeling it may be pointless...not every bud has rot but worried when drying the RH is gonna be so high it'll spread.

Is bubble hash an option?

17 hours ago, YOREEL said:

Shit news today.....found 4 more cola heads with rot.

Chopped the stems but all 4 fans have been on max with the dehu on the intake upping the temps to 90ºC and lowering RH to 55 lights on and 41% lights off....

I have clearly blown all the spores everywhere and not sure what to do....

Chop now and save what I can @ the start of week 7??

Continue with the risk of finding more rot later or harvest now and risk bud rot when drying??

Chop now bro

• Like 1

Chop n try to  get the affected cola's away from the good looking ones when drying and faster dry the iffy one's?:mellow:

The rot starts deep in the bud so by the time you see it it's way too late - the spores get everywhere too. I know this is all a bit late now but for future reference - try putting a bag over the rot infected bud and then chopping well below the rot. Take it well away from your grow, get gloved up and have a look at the damage. Rinse and repeat, that way you can at least try to limit the spread when removing the rot.

On the environment though

The killer is swings in temp that make micro-climates in your buds - so when the lights go off and the temp drops those buds will form water droplets deep inside them. The fatter the buds the worse this can be, so even with good ventilation you still have the problem in the transition from dark/light. I used a fan that came on at lights off and blew warm air from my lights down onto the plants, this slowed down the cooling of the main colas. You could rig a dehumidifier or similar to kick in 30-60 mins before and dry/warm the air in the lung room too just to steady out the transition.

The worse thing you can do is bring fresh cold air in at lights out as that will cause the temp to drop-off really quick and humidity to spike too.

Good luck, hope you managed to rescue some of it at least.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Harsh lesson for you, but one everyone else can learn from so thanks for sharing.

If you find rot then crop it all NOW. Like literally NOW. Phone in sick, glove up and get trimming. Also find something else to grow out next time:)

• Like 2

The big misconception with bud rot is that its caused by high humidity alone, the reality is its a combination of air temp, surface temps and humidity. Where most people fuck up (me included) is they don't calculate the dew point or if they do, calculate it by air temps and not plant surface temps. You can have fine RH and fine air temps, but if the surface temp drops below the dew point, even though your environment on the whole is fine you will still get moisture forming on plant surfaces, and this builds up inside large flowers and rots them from the inside out.

So calculate dew point with air temps, air RH and surface temps and air RH and make sure you stay within the correct parameters or bud rot is something that will keep coming back to fuck you up.

• Like 5

Just now, GSZZ said:

The big misconception with bud rot is that its caused by high humidity alone, the reality is its a combination of air temp, surface temps and humidity. Where most people fuck up (me included) is they don't calculate the dew point or if they do, calculate it by air temps and not plant surface temps. You can have fine RH and fine air temps, but if the surface temp drops below the dew point, even though your environment on the whole is fine you will still get moisture forming on plant surfaces, and this builds up inside large flowers and rots them from the inside out.

So calculate dew point with air temps, air RH and surface temps and air RH and make sure you stay within the correct parameters or bud rot is something that will keep coming back to fuck you up.

Totally correct about dew point. Problem is knowing the conditions inside the bud where it all starts. 

• Like 1

Correct. I mentioned before the probe i was using was set in the incorrect location on the tent. So rather than reading RH at bud level it was at the side of the tent which wasn't as dense and giving a reading that I though was right It was reading the RH fine but when I checked the back of the tent it was at the dew point...for how long I'm not sure but it was long enough to cause the rot. I have learned more than i know this run

Edited by YOREEL
  • Like 1