Bud rot week 7 of flower

YOREEL

Evening all,

Upon checking my plants I noticed some brown dodgy looking stuff on one of my buds.

This was one of the buds on the outer edge where the oscillating fan didn't quite get to.

RH has shot up due to the recent rain and low and behold I've got bud rot.

I cannot see it in any of the other 3 plants but cannot be sure of course.

RH was sitting at 55% but over the past two weeks it's been in the mid 60s.

Added a dehu to get it back down but now think it could have screwed the whole grow. Just hit week 7 of flower and have removed the 1 cola but not sure what else to do? 

Do I bin the grow?

Do I chop now to save anything?

Continue with a dehu and more circulation?

large.20210725_212800.jpglarge.20210725_212744.jpglarge.20210725_212741.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Chopped the one bud I saw but cannot be sure there is anymore. If I check in a few days would there be more if the RH was back in check?

Its impossible to say. If you inspect all the rest of the buds all looks good then maybe giving them a bit longer might be the right call.

I would always take them down at first sign of rot, but its your grow and your call.

Either way I hope its just the one bud.

• Like 4

I had some major rot on my last grow, but i only found it in 2 stems so i chopped them. Didn't have any issues after that.

Looks like early stages of rot though, mine was all white and fluffy, but i can only agree with what smoketester has said.

• Like 3

How many plants is it?

If you have stuck a dehumidifier in there id cut the rot out and carry on,as it don't look ready for harvest yet.

Edited by mr rhino
  • Like 1

4 plants from seed so 4 different phenos. Looks like this one is the weakest when it comes to excessive humidity.

The other 3 plants seem fine but again don't want to assume everything is fine and then find 70% of buds are contaminated. Hopefully caught it early. 

Is there anything that can be done with the contaminated buds like RSO or hash?

I can't put a dehu in the tent as there is not enough room without burning some buds so got the intake right next to the dehu.

RH is now at 55%

Rot can set in deep just before harvest and leave your drying buds covered in white rot. If you see it, chances are it's growing elsewhere, def chop now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YOREEL said:

I can't put a dehu in the tent as there is not enough room without burning some buds so got the intake right next to the dehu.

RH is now at 55%

55% wouldn't usually be enough to cause bud rot though right? Do you have enough airflow in the room?  Can you see every single leaf rustling from the oscillating fans?  Was this bud in a 'still spot' in the corner?

Regarding the dehu - My tent is in a shed.  I used to put the dehu right near the intake and turn the extraction speed right up thinking this would reduce RH.  Wrong.  This only works if the ambient rh is nice and low.  If you're in the UK like me, then that's not generally the case.  The tent sucks away the dehumidified air faster than the dehu can create it, and you just end up sitting at 5-10% above ambient RH, as you'd expect with no dehumidifier. 

Here's what I found, it's counterintuitive but it works.  Keep the dehu in the room your tent is in (like you already do), but move it away from the tent and then turn the extraction down (as low as possible whilst still getting negative pressure).  This will allow the dehu to fill the room with dehumidified air without the tent extraction sucking it all away straight away, and you should see humidity gradually decrease in the tent.  If the room your tent is in is massive then this might not work, but it works for me. 

• Like 1

I always employ 2x RH probes, that way you'll know if it's 55% or 75%. I thought I was good at around 50-60% RH, turns out my main probe was 20+% lower than reality! (it was covered in limescale from overspraying) lol

Got lucky and caught the mold early, and it was a dry time of year. 

Just now, OneMorePuff said:

55% wouldn't usually be enough to cause bud rot though right? Do you have enough airflow in the room?  Can you see every single leaf rustling from the oscillating fans?  Was this bud in a 'still spot' in the corner?

Regarding the dehu - My tent is in a shed.  I used to put the dehu right near the intake and turn the extraction speed right up thinking this would reduce RH.  Wrong.  This only works if the ambient rh is nice and low.  If you're in the UK like me, then that's not generally the case.  The tent sucks away the dehumidified air faster than the dehu can create it, and you just end up sitting at 5-10% above ambient RH, as you'd expect with no dehumidifier. 

Here's what I found, it's counterintuitive but it works.  Keep the dehu in the room your tent is in (like you already do), but move it away from the tent and then turn the extraction down (as low as possible whilst still getting negative pressure).  This will allow the dehu to fill the room with dehumidified air without the tent extraction sucking it all away straight away, and you should see humidity gradually decrease in the tent.  If the room your tent is in is massive then this might not work, but it works for me. 

Sorry for the confusion - RH has been in the mid 60s over the past two weeks. We had a heatwave before then and RH was at 55%. The recent rain this week jumped the RH to 68%.

The bud in question was in a still spot but two more buds are also there and they look to have nothing wrong with them although this one was the biggest cola.

Tent is a 1.4m x 1.4m with a 8inch AC extraction setup. This is set to 5 and RH is currently down to 53% with the dehu on the intake with 3 fans for circulation. I will add another fan tomorrow to the still spot.

Just now, Slippy One said:

I always employ 2x RH probes, that way you'll know if it's 55% or 75%. I thought I was good at around 50-60% RH, turns out my main probe was 20+% lower than reality! (it was covered in limescale from overspraying) lol

Got lucky and caught the mold early, and it was a dry time of year. 

Got the probe from the AC controller and a Pulse meter.

I really do hope I got it all but now doubting myself. 

I'll carry on with it and see what happens....live and learn. First time I've encountered it and now more aware...more circulation is good!

• Like 1

Just now, YOREEL said:

Got the probe from the AC controller and a Pulse meter.

I really do hope I got it all but now doubting myself. 

I'll carry on with it and see what happens....live and learn. First time I've encountered it and now more aware...more circulation is good!

Saying that I never rely on the AC probe and mostly rely on the meter and actually going in the tent.

• Like 1

All my AC's are a bit low compared to reality. I'm guessing that's why they included a calibration feature. Also, with an active intake (could be the same for passive) I get 5-10% more humidity just below the canopy than at pot level.  :yep:

• Like 1

Shit news today.....found 4 more cola heads with rot.

Chopped the stems but all 4 fans have been on max with the dehu on the intake upping the temps to 90ºC and lowering RH to 55 lights on and 41% lights off....

I have clearly blown all the spores everywhere and not sure what to do....

Chop now and save what I can @ the start of week 7??

Continue with the risk of finding more rot later or harvest now and risk bud rot when drying??