Almost ready to cure, is it *that* bad?

golden pony

So the top cola of my most mature auto seems almost ready as seen in the following pic . Is it that bad if I start curing just that cola now? It's already past the date specified by the seller by about 1.5 weeks.

It feels like I've been growing this forever and I still would have about another 20+ colas on this plant and another 5 plants, so I thought it wouldn't be too bad? Shouldn't it already be like at 80 or 90% of its peak potency? I am not a believer in amber trichomes by the way: they should be all milky and barely if not at all amber.

I don't have magnifier glass but this one is heading towards week 11 since germination for a Golden Harvest Auto Super Tangie which is supposed to be 9 weeks from germination. I plucked a single one of those tiny leaves for a tiny puff of smoke and the high felt too strong for a placebo effect, though I have no proof for it.

uKDYXXo.jpg

Edited by golden pony

I wouldn't call it almost ready, but there's nothing wrong with trying it if you like.

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't.  She looks like she's got a good few weeks left to me.

Even if I was convinced the trichomes were sufficiently milky (which I'm not from this pic, but it's too blurry to say for sure) I'd still be worried about chopping a big cola this early, as it could potentially stress her out at a crucial point in bud development.

Thanks for the advice, I thought I had taken a good look at a few of those "Ready to harvest" galleries with a majority of brown pistils but still a few white ones, I guess I just saw what I wanted to see... My other takeaway is don't trust harvest times on the package not even in the slightest...

Just now, ratdog said:

she looks very hungry

Are you saying that because of the purple leaves? Apparently too much nitrogen urea from the previous fertilizer is limiting phosphorus absorption so I need to put some enzymes and change fertilizer... but I really thought I'd be close enough with this one that I am just to flush with clean water at this point.

Edited by golden pony

All my indica auto strains have been ready ~90 days from sowing/germination. The one sativa I've tried looked like it would go 110 had I not chopped it early.

• Like 1

Just now, golden pony said:

Are you saying that because of the purple leaves?

more the yellowing, but i would need a better picture of the whole plant to be sure

There's too many white pistils being thrown for the plant to be ready.  Looks like you've started plain water too early and the plant is very deficient.  You are going to miss out a lot yield-wise, due to underfeeding.  You will also lose out high-wise if you harvest now.  A good two weeks left, I would have started on plain water in a weeks time. 

Minimum 11 to 12 weeks from seed sprouting if controlled and fed correctly. Sometimes longer. That plant in the picture looks like it needs 3 more weeks and I would continue feeding for at least 2 more weeks if it were me. Why not harvest a cola so you know for future reference. It won't harm the rest of the plant. It will continue with whatever is left to produce.

19 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

There's too many white pistils being thrown for the plant to be ready.  Looks like you've started plain water too early and the plant is very deficient.  You are going to miss out a lot yield-wise, due to underfeeding.  You will also lose out high-wise if you harvest now.  A good two weeks left, I would have started on plain water in a weeks time. 

Does this thing about having too much nitrogen urea in the previous fertilizer thus hampering phosphorous intake make sense to you? At least that's what a local prize winner buff said after looking at them for a couple minutes. Got those enzymes coming in a few days and a new kind of fertilizer.

17 minutes ago, pollenlover said:

Minimum 11 to 12 weeks from seed sprouting if controlled and fed correctly. Sometimes longer. That plant in the picture looks like it needs 3 more weeks and I would continue feeding for at least 2 more weeks if it were me. Why not harvest a cola so you know for future reference. It won't harm the rest of the plant. It will continue with whatever is left to produce.

Thanks, I wonder if that wouldn't bee way too stressing at such a crucial point in production though.

28 minutes ago, mister phlegm said:

All my indica auto strains have been ready ~90 days from sowing/germination. The one sativa I've tried looked like it would go 110 had I not chopped it early.

That defo makes sense with the other scheduling advice here as it is a halfbreed.

Edited by golden pony

3 minutes ago, golden pony said:

Does this thing about having too much nitrogen urea in the previous fertilizer thus hampering phosphorous intake make sense to you?

Thanks, I wonder if that wouldn't bee way too stressing at such a crucial point in production though.

No it doesn't because your plants look deficient of nitrogen too. 

Harvesting a large cola (especially if it's the apically dominant shoot) will shock the plant and shut down growth for a good while.  Not worth it unless you have loads of time before you want to use the tent again. 

Just now, fatboy77 said:

No it doesn't because your plants look deficient of nitrogen too. 

Harvesting a large cola (especially if it's the apically dominant shoot) will shock the plant and shut down growth for a good while.  Not worth it unless you have loads of time before you want to use the tent again. 

Well the fertilizer had quite high nitrogen and phosphorous and was being doused to 1ml/L so what could be the explanation in that case? 
Last week the ones I watered clear stopped becoming more purple while the ones that had the same fertilizer on that week before I stopped did continue becoming more purple. Previous weeks they had the very tip of the become very pale yellow .

Edited by golden pony

2 minutes ago, golden pony said:

what could be the explanation in that case?

You'd have to provide a lot more details for me to have a chance of identifying.  It could be a wide variety of things.  

It's possible the plants have locked out all nutrients for whatever reason, and there could be many causes.

1 hour ago, fatboy77 said:

You'd have to provide a lot more details for me to have a chance of identifying.  It could be a wide variety of things.  

It's possible the plants have locked out all nutrients for whatever reason, and there could be many causes.

Thank you for your time.

I think the local buff said the excess urea was causing indeed a lockdown from phosphorous and other nutrients, so it seems to be converging towards that. Some leaves were turning a bit brown as well but there was no sign of root rot or fungus.

As far as I know the yellowing tips earlier on might suggest too much nitrogen and an excess of nuts could have caused the lockdown which in turn could explain a mix of purple, browning and paling?

Edited by golden pony
more details after checking me growth journal