Seed popped upside down

15 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Seeds know which way is up and down, it's the tight structure of the cube that probably messes them up sometimes. I plant points up as routine as it it seems to reduce the shell getting stuck once sprouted up. 

Yep. Upside down can just as easily be the right way up haha

last seeds i sowed I just filled pots about 15mm down from full. Chucked seeds in with no particular orientation followed by some debris free medium and watered with a rose. Sure there will be plenty of variation in orientation and some in depth. But kept moist with healthy seed I’m sure close to 100% will pop up happy enough. Saves lot of faff.
With smaller number / special seeds, or where uniformity and space are of greater concern then paper towel in cd/dvd case (turned of its side) is a good way of producing what I call ‘bean sprouts’  shells shed, straight tails etc, got the idea from a Canadian grower. Planting with chopstick into pots works well with this method. 

• Like 3

I’ve got 2 more cubes  that have a tap root at the bottom but not showing anything on top. 

Edited by Kev.k

If can see the tap root I’d just hold out and resist poking around. I also thought one my seedlings didn’t have it’s true leaves. Turns out they are there just smaller than the others. So in the end all but 1 seed popped up. Already thrown in another seed to make up for that number. Now just patience up for the boring stage of things lol 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, smokinggolden said:

Yeah, I learnt in school that roots can sense down due to gravity.

Why would they grow up and into the the light? That's messed up man! Cannabis is not that stupid surely!

You do not see upside down trees in nature.

Maybe they prefer normal compost.

Even for hydro you can germinate in soil then wash the roots off before transplanting I think.

I rather fancy its the stupidity of man, not nature!  Ive seen this happens so many times with root riots.  They just seem to cause more problems than the natural approach.  

Thats not a dig at the op.  just an observation of the commercial world we live in.

24 minutes ago, stummer said:

If can see the tap root I’d just hold out and resist poking around. I also thought one my seedlings didn’t have it’s true leaves. Turns out they are there just smaller than the others. So in the end all but 1 seed popped up. Already thrown in another seed to make up for that number. Now just patience up for the boring stage of things lol 

I think I saved the upside down seed. The hole in the cube just wasn’t deep enough.

• Like 1

I think this has happened to me on 3 seeds, defo managed to save 1 waiting on another 1 and i think i destroyed the other 1, time will tell!!

• Like 1