Seed popped upside down

I had this happen to me recent, about 4 plants from 3 different packs! Split the cube in half with a scalpel, turn the seed the right way around and then close the jiffy back up.

• Like 4

I’m pretty sure it’s upside down. Tried to post a pic but it didn’t work.

Been a long time since I popped beans. 

Edited by Kev.k
  • Like 1

A very common situation.  Get a sharp knife and split the cube open gently. You will find the shoot may well have entangled itself so be careful and cut it all away from the cube.  Then turn it up the right way and re-plant.  9 times out of 10 they will then grow normally. 

• Like 1

It probably is the wrong way up, happens a lot with cubes, one of the reasons I don't use them.

Probably ok for cuttings but don't seem to work very well for seeds.

• Like 3

Depending on how packed down it is they can straighten on their own. It’s not like every seed falls in the correct orientation. Most will land on their side.

the root will find it’s way down and the rest of the plant knows what way up is.

if your going to change it I’d do it now before the root J’s it’s self around the seed case and starts to grow downwards.

Edited by Whatwentwrong
  • Like 2

Happened to the first 2 seeds I planted as I didn't plant them deep enough.  Tap root coming out the top.  I had to dig them out and re-orientate them but only 1 survived the ordeal.  Gently does it....

large.Germination.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, BudJ said:

Happened to the first 2 seeds I planted as I didn't plant them deep enough.  Tap root coming out the top.  I had to dig them out and re-orientate them but only 1 survived the ordeal.  Gently does it....

large.Germination.jpg

I’ve done the same thing. The holes in root riot cubes just aren’t deep enough. 

I thought the light would prevent this from happening. 

Looks like it’s a easier issue to deal with in peat plugs. Live n learn. 

Edited by Kev.k

Exactly what happened to me earlier today as it happens. I thought it was just a fucked seed and looked white. You know where they bend out the jiffy before poking up but then clocked it was actually the root. Got it out n put it right so hopefully that’s it sorted and it makes it.

• Like 1

Seeds know which way is up and down, it's the tight structure of the cube that probably messes them up sometimes. I plant points up as routine as it it seems to reduce the shell getting stuck once sprouted up. 

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

Yeah, I learnt in school that roots can sense down due to gravity.

Why would they grow up and into the the light? That's messed up man! Cannabis is not that stupid surely!

You do not see upside down trees in nature.

Maybe they prefer normal compost.

Even for hydro you can germinate in soil then wash the roots off before transplanting I think.

• Like 2

The one I turned around has ended up coming up. Still had its shell attached but managed to open it without damaging the leaves. Been a long time since not just running cuttings.

Edited by stummer
  • Like 1