Compost Mix

Poisonata

47 minutes ago, KC said:

I'll be honest, it's not something I really worry about, as long as everything can get some light. I just try not to pack the room out.

Same, why I bought two lights. Different heights. Actually that's not true, just a bonus. Real reason was redundancy, if one ever blows the other can cope until a replacement is ordered. And I totally agree regards not packing the room out, it's old habits. First started growing the yield was significantly less so planted more. Transitioning to four rather than six next grow.

Edited by Poisonata
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i use 60% compost/30% coco and 10% ewc, having some very good results with it

Convinced it's all about getting having a mix that prevents the roots becoming saturated, sitting in water and not having access to oxygen. Only used this mix as having only ever grown in compost / perlite before, the idea was a slow transition using purely coco. Likely increase the coco in my next mix to 40% coco, 40% compost, 20% perlite (plus volcanic dust) and see how it works out. As you've stated the difference is quite noticeable.

Edited by Poisonata

1 minute ago, Poisonata said:

Likely increase the coco in my next mix to 40% coco, 40% compost, 20% perlite

if you are not adding some food back into the mix i would just go to coco mate, i think you might start having issues feeding organic food to a low compost mix. if not, try ditching the perlite in one pot to see the difference, i doubt you'll see much

• Like 1

Just now, ratdog said:

i think you might start having issues feeding organic food to a low compost mix

Thank you, didn't think about this.

Straight switch to coco might be an idea while I've enough supply to last. If it goes badly then no big deal. The attraction of coco is pests, the absence of them. Had a couple recently all from the compost; soil mites but only because at first glance I thought they were root aphids, realise now they don't affect the plant. Fungus gnats also, once again more of an annoyance than a problem, yellow sticky traps worked a treat. But I'd just rather avoid them altogether.

Once again thank you very much for pointing that out. :yep:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

i use 60% compost/30% coco and 10% ewc, having some very good results with it

Still not trying the biochar yet?  I've evolved this recipe to 60% compost, 20% coco, 10% ewc, 10% biochar.  Definitely an improvement.

Eta - don't make your own unless you have a way to burn it with minimal o2 present. 

Edited by fatboy77

Chopped this evening. Good quantity, overall very pleased. No evidence of bud rot despite humidity being less than desirable; significant internal air movement is key in absence of dehumidifier. Halted growing now till next spring, no point in growing more during the colder months as cost of keeping tent warm is evident on the electric bill. Possibly going to invest in some heat mats should anything change.

So 6 plants, RQS Blue Mystic photoperiods.

Final chop pile. One tray containing loose bud (bottom photo) that had failed to fully ripen (situated too far down the stems), dry and freeze this for edibles. Normally quite strong just lacks flavour.

large.BMCrop1.jpg

Larger main colas I've put in the smaller tent to dry with a slightly increased extraction, these will take far longer to fully dry. Note the red arrow pointing the cola on the right.

large.BMCrop2.jpg

And here is the aforementioned cola indicated by the red arrow. All fairly big but this one is huge.

large.BMCrop3.jpg

And the larger tent containing everything else. Trim / Scrap buds in trays.

large.BMCrop4.jpg

So overall a good yield from six plants in the new compost mix. Probably just use exactly the same mix again next year. No deficiencies were noted at all during he grow, confident the volcanic rock dust had a hand in this.

Planned to post end weight but doubt anyone will be interested, just jar / store it. Easier !

So that's it. Thanks for following my Compost Mix thread. And see you all again in April :yep: 

Next grow will be Flavour Chasers Cookie Dough (already got seeds). Either that or Adams Haze (also known as Atomical Haze) but I've yet to buy these.

Best wishes all :innocent:

Edited by Poisonata
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked the curing final product so here's a photo. The 12 larger jars each contain just over 1.5 ounces of dried product each, smaller just under 1 ounce. Total weight slightly over 19 ounces. Six plants, 5 Blue mystic (RQS) and 1 Dr Widow (Free Seed).

large.BMFinal_19oz.jpg

Considering my first grow of six plants some 2 years ago liberated 6 ounces here lies a cautionary tale. Not about volume of plants, all about the environment.

Next grow probably limit the number to maximum of 4 plants as being a person who strictly adheres to the no smell, no tell EVER and most importantly no sell advice there is a limit to how much product one person needs.

It is a huge weight off my shoulders, I'd encourage anyone (new to growing) to adopt the changes I've made so you can delight in deleting the dealers number from your phone :yep:

N.B. Product in previous photo (blue trays) was bud taken from lower branches, not full ripened and of a lesser quality. This was not included in the photo but equally far too good simply discard. Likely make some edibles from this or bubble hash. Including this grand total nearer 21 ounces.

Edited by Poisonata
  • Like 4