Soil mites?

QuessadillaTom

Had these lot show up yesterday, And from a brief google they look like soil mites? Can anyone confirm this? Ive got a couple of seedlings that are meant to be going to a buddies, and i want to make sure they aren't anything that will cause any issues before I give them to him.

heres a link to a clip of them on youtube:

https://youtu.be/lU-DYv4OstE

for those who prefer not to click on links, here are some very blurry photos for reference:

large.77636EFC-7120-48AE-B8E1-0C35223EF661.pnglarge.62C792FE-8777-466C-AF93-223D324E2F9D.png

They are only in the soil, and don’t seem to have any interest in the plants themselves.

I saw a bunch of them eating a dead worm.

Can anyone tell me what these are, and if they will cause any problems?

Big Love

QT

i all my years of growing weed and veg in compost, i have never seen that many of anything in the soil.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i all my years of growing weed and veg in compost, i have never seen that many of anything in the soil.

Im guessing thats not a good sign then @ratdog? any idea of what they might be? 

Just now, QuessadillaTom said:

Im guessing thats not a good sign then @ratdog? any idea of what they might be? 

sorry mate, no, but that many means it's possibly an infestation unless that have just hatched and are going to move on

i seriously have never seen that many bugs of the same species in the same pot, doesn't mean they are wrong un's though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ratdog said:

sorry mate, no, but that many means it's possibly an infestation unless that have just hatched and are going to move on

i seriously have never seen that many bugs of the same species in the same pot, doesn't mean they are wrong un's though

Yeah man, i’ve no idea, i would say they had just hatched... subsequently ive only seen a few of them dotted around since i took that video... so id be inclined to say they had just hatched, and have since spread out:unsure: that being said, the plants look happy, and whatever they are, they don't seem to want to have anything to do with the plants themselves.

Just now, Saddam said:

Root aphids, unless I'm mistaken. 

Thank you @Saddam! I still need to try and get some better pics, borrowing a mates digital microscope tomorrow to check em out. Ive heard aphids have 8 legs and mites have only 6? Or is it the other way round? Either way ill hopefully have an answer tomorrow.

Question is @Saddam are they likely to cause any issues if they are root aphids?

Just now, QuessadillaTom said:

are they likely to cause any issues

Probably, they damage roots by eating into them and feed on the sap. Kill them with some tap water mixed with a bit of washing up liquid. 

• Like 1

had another look at some examples of root aphids and i dont think its what ive got... ill post a solid pic tomorrow n ill be able to say for sure hopefully.

thanks for everyones input! either way ill be adding in some nematodes into the next few waterings:skin_up:

• Like 1

My question would be where did you get the soil from that you have these seedlings in?

I grow in living soil and have soil mites, arthropods, predator mites and worms milling about in my soil but none of them look like that?

Here is a soil mite....

large_mite.jpg

:yinyang:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lildaveham said:

My question would be where did you get the soil from that you have these seedlings in?

I grow in living soil and have soil mites, arthropods, predator mites and worms milling about in my soil but none of them look like that?

Here is a soil mite....

large_mite.jpg

:yinyang:

That looks a lot more like whats in my pot than the examples of root aphids ive seen, colour and shape wise... my photos are really not very useful, ill do my best to get a solid photo with the digimicroscope tomorrow .

the soil in the pots is a mix of compost from my garden (i can imagine thats where they’re probably from), some wilko coir compost mix and some worm castings that i cant remember the brand of... ill find out when im back tonight.

thanks for the info @lildaveham !

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, QuessadillaTom said:

had another look at some examples of root aphids and i dont think its what ive got

Try an image search for 'orange root aphids'. :yep: