AC 67 controller rewiring

painfreeliving

On 01/07/2021 at 4:22 AM, Personunknown said:

IF you have your Toolzy on the outside you WILL get odours , i found that out the hard way (missus complaining after fan replacement) the case clamps leak were the bolt is on them /seam leak) seam sealer / mastic is my friend:yep: ps thats pushing into filter not sucking through it.:yinyang:

I'll keep an eye on it as Ive just gone ahead and done it! Growing up in a big loft space it shouldn't be an issue, especially when pulling through the filter. Made me some head room in my tent too, have the filter on the left hand side of the tent and mounted the controller on the roof (although using the app makes it fairly unnecessary).

large.IMG_0655.PNG

Edited by painfreeliving
  • Like 1

@painfreeliving you should be fine , its a minor odour sorted by sealing the clamps ,but pulling through filter should eliminate it  as the air's pre scrubbed, i use my filter as a silencer on the outer end of duct and fan as yours but on bungies, i bet that duct glows

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Personunknown said:

@painfreeliving you should be fine , its a minor odour sorted by sealing the clamps ,but pulling through filter should eliminate it  as the air's pre scrubbed, i use my filter as a silencer on the outer end of duct and fan as yours but on bungies, i bet that duct glows

Yeah it's a nice warm yellow colour at the tent exits! Have some black all ducting but makes too much noise for my liking. The intake vent into the house sounded like a jet plane with it - so switched back to cheap and cheerful :) 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to say thanks, Recently got myself a S6 with the 69 controller and it was a bit dodgy, They sent me a replacement controller and its doing the same, I been pondering over  spending a bit of money trying to get the second controller to power up so i could atleast monitor my Veg area too, and yeah Looking at the wiring it seemed simple enough, and knowing I just needed the power from the red and black made life so simple, I cut the molex end off the adapter that come with the thing and tinned the cables, connected them in the main terminal block to just the red and black and bingo it fired right up.
I tried various USB adapters, I even have a molex power bar but nothing powered it up, was wondering if they had a chip in there it needed but i guess the USB-C cables I was trying and the molex power supply were all just wired wrong. They connecting up inside the fan box now, shame the cable is a bit stubby, I don't mind blowing €20 on a longer cable knowing it will work as intended. But yeah, great thread, with helpful info here, cheers lads

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

What?
It powered up, but nothing powered it up.

The C67 has a 4 pin molex. Positive, Negative and PWM. The PWM wire is being switched to negative.

An EC fan will generally take 0-10v DC on the control wire, or PWM.

The ACinfinity fan has internally used a resistor to take it's 10v auxiliary output, to the control wire. This sits the fan on full speed.

The controller also connects to the fans control wire, and shorts away that 10v to stop the fan. This is the PWM action. Rapidly grounding away the 10v provided by the fans internal resistor. Probably a good few K in size. As both the fans 10v output, and the controller, would be at risk if there was no resistor used. Then you started shorting the control wire to ground.

You can use the C67 on other EC fans, after adding that resistor to bring the fan up to full speed. So that the controller can start pulling it back down again.
In industry, a controller you buy, would provide voltage. The C67 differs, in that is doesn't provide voltage on it's PWM wire. Though it does if you pull voltage across from the red wire, using a resistor. Maybe 100K. You just want a mA at most. The auxiliary wire of an EC fan can often supply no more than that, as it's just for signaling. So these are the numbers in play.

Though 0-10v is normal, a PWM voltage is often 12v. I have had no issues running the C67 from 12v, instead of the 10v the ACinfinity fan likely provided. I have never had the fan, but did read the C67 was 10v iirc. Moments before giving it 12. This is all standard stuff really. Just packaged as if it's proprietary. The USB version makes sense, as it was that or a phone extension, and lights have done that already. Both leads being mass produced items, that are more available than making long molex wires. Inside though, it's still 3 cores that matter. There are even adapters I think?

This is indeed a great thread. One I looked over before buying a C67 myself. Which is a remarkably cheap piece of hardware. In industry, just a 100K VR in a wall box can cost £50 or more. A PWM based speed controller, hundreds. One that reacts to atmospheric sensors? That's a building management system. You better sell the car, if you want one of those.
This is really very good. Though a mix flow fan is a bit lame, when you have a filter and ducting to contend with.

Edited by notunum

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2024 at 04:16, notunum said:

What?
It powered up, but nothing powered it up.

The C67 has a 4 pin molex. Positive, Negative and PWM. The PWM wire is being switched to negative.

An EC fan will generally take 0-10v DC on the control wire, or PWM.

The ACinfinity fan has internally used a resistor to take it's 10v auxiliary output, to the control wire. This sits the fan on full speed.

The controller also connects to the fans control wire, and shorts away that 10v to stop the fan. This is the PWM action. Rapidly grounding away the 10v provided by the fans internal resistor. Probably a good few K in size. As both the fans 10v output, and the controller, would be at risk if there was no resistor used. Then you started shorting the control wire to ground.

You can use the C67 on other EC fans, after adding that resistor to bring the fan up to full speed. So that the controller can start pulling it back down again.
In industry, a controller you buy, would provide voltage. The C67 differs, in that is doesn't provide voltage on it's PWM wire. Though it does if you pull voltage across from the red wire, using a resistor. Maybe 100K. You just want a mA at most. The auxiliary wire of an EC fan can often supply no more than that, as it's just for signaling. So these are the numbers in play.

Though 0-10v is normal, a PWM voltage is often 12v. I have had no issues running the C67 from 12v, instead of the 10v the ACinfinity fan likely provided. I have never had the fan, but did read the C67 was 10v iirc. Moments before giving it 12. This is all standard stuff really. Just packaged as if it's proprietary. The USB version makes sense, as it was that or a phone extension, and lights have done that already. Both leads being mass produced items, that are more available than making long molex wires. Inside though, it's still 3 cores that matter. There are even adapters I think?

This is indeed a great thread. One I looked over before buying a C67 myself. Which is a remarkably cheap piece of hardware. In industry, just a 100K VR in a wall box can cost £50 or more. A PWM based speed controller, hundreds. One that reacts to atmospheric sensors? That's a building management system. You better sell the car, if you want one of those.
This is really very good. Though a mix flow fan is a bit lame, when you have a filter and ducting to contend with.

There are HomeAssistant integrations available for ACI controllers now. I have the 67 working with it, so has it wifi capabilities and I can use the T/H sensors for other wifi plugs 😎 Love to pick your brains about PWM dimming on my lights and how to fix them up with an ESP32 👍