AC 67 controller rewiring

painfreeliving

@Slippy One Hope you can help me out here wiring my toolzy fan into the AC infinity 67 controller :) 

Ive taken the front of the control dial on the fan and the dial itself is ran by two wires black and yellow:

large.IMG_0542.JPG

The AC controller is a little more complex uncased:

large.IMG_0544.JPGlarge.IMG_0543.JPG

Im guessing I need to dismantle the fan completely? Molex are live GND GND 5v Live usually - so these on the fan dial are pin 3 & 4?

Help appreciated mate :)

PFL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, painfreeliving said:

@Slippy One Hope you can help me out here wiring my toolzy fan into the AC infinity 67 controller :) 

Ive taken the front of the control dial on the fan and the dial itself is ran by two wires black and yellow:

large.IMG_0542.JPG

The AC controller is a little more complex uncased:

large.IMG_0544.JPGlarge.IMG_0543.JPG

Im guessing I need to dismantle the fan completely? Molex are live GND GND 5v Live usually - so these on the fan dial are pin 3 & 4?

Help appreciated mate :)

PFL

I'll get on to this later tonight or tomorrow. Looks like you'll need a bank of 6 connectors and a molex connector plus wires. I'll upload pics soon. Good luck, as it's only theoretically possible. Glad to help. No idea where you can buy molex connectors now that Maplins has shut.. :yep:

E2A, you don't need to disassemble the 67! lol

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 1

thank you, ahh I was on a roll with my screwdriver so had to take a look inside...

I think it's just going to be a case of putting the permanent live and ground into pin 1 and 2 and then those two from the dial into 3 and 4 and jobs a good un. 

I have a 4 pin female to male molex extension cable on its way from the big river site today for about £3 :) 

I'll take the fan apart and see what I can suss out 

Here

Here's the T4 inners. Looks like you need to locate and thread through the mains and PWM wires. This motor uses 3 cables, the Toolzy appears to be only 2 controls on the speed... Hoping that's OK but I have a feeling PWM (pulse width modulation) needs 3 wires.. Anyone with more knowledge on PWM fans? Gaming PC's use these and are always 3 wires.. Good luck. Looks worth a try. :yep: 

large.unnamed.jpeg

I just noticed the molex is 4 wires, which is why the white wire is redundant. I assumed the Toolzy had the same junction box, but it could be easy if you can locate and pull through the mains circuit. :yep:

• Like 1

large.IMG_0553.JPGlarge.IMG_0550.JPG

So I'm going to splice the red live inside the fan and run that through (via the pink wire Ive fed through) and then use the existing black and yellow for ground and peripheral :)

Lets hope this goes ok.....

Just now, painfreeliving said:

large.IMG_0553.JPGlarge.IMG_0550.JPG

Lets hope this goes ok.....

Should be good, just keep it tidy. Show us a diagram and/or pic before plugging in, don’t rush it and good luck on the 67 addition. :yep: 

@Slippy One I think it's ready for plug in. Ive wired the peripheral into the yellow on the molex, the ground from the dial into the black, and the live feed from the fan into the red wires. 

The fan now works without the dial - just goes into full speed when turned on.

Im tempted to plug in without the peripheral and see if the controller turns on :) My only fear is blowing the 67 unit!

large.IMG_0557.JPGlarge.IMG_0558.JPG

Edited by painfreeliving
images

Don’t rush it, I’ve noticed 3 circuits on my pic, do you know about the blue wires on the left of my AC? Without the S T or 67 controller, they always run 100%. 

Without a diagram, it’s hard to see what you’ve done. As for the 67, if you’re only using the PWM circuit, it’s pretty low voltage so unlikely to wreck it. :yep: 

• Like 1

All done:

large.IMG_0560.JPG

After a little messing around and thinking it wasn't going to work I've figured it out. The yellow wire on the molex plug is redundant. I had it working with the controller on but no speed control so played around with the peripheral wire position until I got the speed working. 

Basically the red wire (plug 1) is the permanent live from inside the fan. The first black wire ( plug 2) goes to the yellow dial wire on the Toolzy fan, then plug 3, the second black wire, goes to the black wire on the dial on the fan control unit. The final plug 4, yellow, doesn't do anything. 

So it's Live, Ground, Control, Blank on the plug from left to right. 

Thanks for the info, the idea and your help @Slippy One.

It's a bit of hassle but for anyone with a Toolzy fan an wanting temp or humidity control then for around £50-60 its a very good choice without having to buy a new fan :)

Edit: ignore the wiring, going to tidy it up tomorrow and secure properly. Had to get it back in the tent for lights and the smell starting to leak!

Oh and I should have realised it was pin 3 sooner from your diagram - live, ground, control, white...

Edited by painfreeliving
  • Like 2

Well done that man, glad to be of service but you've got some degree of know how on the circuits and it's good to know it can be done. Yes, I forgot the yellow wire is when motherboards need fans RPM information, which isn't needed here. Congrats and welcome to the 67 club (I have 2) :yep:

Keep checking those graphs for temp/humidity anomalies lol

E2A, let us know if it quietens things up for the fan, I have a sneaking suspicion the Toolzy might not have fancy bearings if there's a whine.  :yep: 

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, painfreeliving said:

All done:

large.IMG_0560.JPG

Just a creative thought: Maybe ditch the old side junction box and replace with the 67? Less wires, just the probe. You could do the programming on the app and save space and wires.. :yep:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Well done that man, glad to be of service but you've got some degree of know how on the circuits and it's good to know it can be done. Yes, I forgot the yellow wire is when motherboards need fans RPM information, which isn't needed here. Congrats and welcome to the 67 club (I have 2) :yep:

Keep checking those graphs for temp/humidity anomalies lol

E2A, let us know if it quietens things up for the fan, I have a sneaking suspicion the Toolzy might not have fancy bearings if there's a whine.  :yep: 

Who knew car stereo installation from my youth would come in handy later on in life :) 

It seems quiet tbh. especially on the lower settings (1-3) cant even tell it's on by sound alone.

As I needed to get it back into the tent and get it running again I've just set it at 5/10 and not plugged the probe in. Looking forward to having a proper play around with it and setting it up via the programming tomorrow. Going to make life much easier whilst I'm growing in the loft - no more venturing up there to adjust the fan speed 3 times a day!

Edit - would having the controller inside the tent not pose any potential reading issues with heat / humidity?

Edited by painfreeliving
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, painfreeliving said:

no more venturing up there to adjust the fan speed 3 times a day!

Edit - would having the controller inside the tent not pose any potential reading issues with heat / humidity?

- worth the £50 alone for loft growers. Mine are usually on lower manual settings due to noise being an issue. Don't forget the 67 can also control intake fans keeping negative pressure. As for the 67 inside the tent, it's fine, or you could have your fan on the outside with just the filter inside.. 

• Like 1

IF you have your Toolzy on the outside you WILL get odours , i found that out the hard way (missus complaining after fan replacement) the case clamps leak were the bolt is on them /seam leak) seam sealer / mastic is my friend:yep: ps thats pushing into filter not sucking through it.:yinyang:

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 1