Problem

W33dtotheroach

So I built a little lean two on the side of me summer house just to cover my intake and extract holes.

It's nothing fancy just some wooden post's, some fence panels for the sides and some felted decking boards for the roof.

Imagine inside the lean two your now in a little area with one of the summer house sides to your right.

This side had some glass pain windows that I took out and used as a template to cut some thin plywood as that's all I had lying about.

Well 

Basically I've had to paint the whole of the new room I've built in there again as mould was forming everywhere and the plasterboard wall of the grow room backing on to the side of the summer house that had the glass window taken out and replaced with ply has gone all wavy.

I did insulate between the plasterboard wall of the grow room and that thin ply I used in replacement of the windows on the summer house with alot of loft roll insulation.

But it's not right.

In fairness I did have a few drops of water coming into the the new lean two but it's all good now as ive built the floor up properly and added guttering so no water can get in

It's ok now after repaiting it again but were in the summer months now

I can't risk getting to the gloomier months only to have it happen again as that would be a right nightmare.

I've done some reading and have decided that the best thing to do is to replace the thin plywood I used probably 5mm max with something more substantial and alot thicker.

Ontop of this new wood I was going to tack some tyvek housewrap as I read that it's a good thing to use on a post on here.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to follow that and can tell me if my idea is likely to solve my initial mistake as if like to try and get it sorted if I can 

Two post's and two questions.

I can't really offer any decent growing advice in return as im a novice to be fair 

Edited by W33dtotheroach

Can't help you without seeing what you are talking about but potentially it could be condensation issues. Glass windows are manufactured to a standard and have insulation properties but ply has none and will rot if it gets wet.

• Like 1

Can't see any mould. That glass that you have replaced with ply won't have much insulation value anyway but looks like the same could be said of the whole structure. Maybe a small, self contained and insulated space within that lean to might serve to avoid the issues you have been having. There are a few members in here that have built insulated growrooms inside sheds and perhaps searching the forum might give better guidance. I personally have never grown in a space like that.

Edited by pollenlover
  • Like 1

What I'm thinking of doing is getting a big sheet of marine play and then putting i over that the top of the current waffer thin ply.

large.20210630_174955-2.jpg

And then I was going to staple tyvek house wrap to the front of it.

Hopefully there is a builder on here who can put me on the right track

I can't be far out, it's just the one wall causing me problems as it's the only one in the room that is a  outside wall so to speak.  

Because it's the outside wall it is the coldest so will end up with all the condensation 

You could insulate better and as soon as your extracting all the hot air and moisture you should be fine

Guest anarchycamp
2 hours ago, W33dtotheroach said:

Cheers @pollenloverand cheers @MJMan

Hopefully these pics don't have to stay around here forever 

If you are worried, just remove the first picture of the outside from this thread. A moderator may be able to remove it from the gallery for you.

Atb mate,sorry I can't be of any building help

23 hours ago, W33dtotheroach said:

So I built a little lean two on the side of me summer house just to cover my intake and extract holes.

Are you extracting into the lean to?

No m8 i'll be going out side in the end but I need to try and get this this sorted first if i can.

• Like 1

what’s the distance of your vertical stud?

it looks like you’ve only got three? got any insulation between outside wall and plasterboard? got a breathable membrane on the stud?

if you take the ply wall (shed wall) as the cladding, you should have a breathable membrane next, then frame, in between frame space should be insulation, that should be bare minimum, then on top of that you could put 3mm insulation roll then osb board (both side of frame) then plasterboard..

I would use osb everywhere instead of marine ply.

do the same on the ceiling, you could double up on plaster board on walls and ceiling for more insulation value and fire resistance.. then you’ve essentially built a proper room/house

hope that helps :stoned:  

Edited by twigs
  • Like 2