Loft tent

dweeeb

Hi all :v: 

im getting back into things slowly but surely and I’m just working out the kinks. 

I’ve managed to get my hands on a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0m BB I have a CFL I’m planning on using for veg but switch up to 600w HPS when I go to flower. Think I’ll be safe running the 600 on its own without problems from scanners etc? That’s my obligation concern.

the tents set-up and waiting for electricity etc. I’m also planning on popping some seeds In the next few days. Call it incentive to get the tent finally ready lol 

any advice would be great. Thinking of insulation but want it easier to manage heat.  

Insulate the loft as best you can, it might seem a lot of work but if you're using it for the next few years it's not much effort really. You'll be safe from "scanners" I'd say, well I've never had any bother anyway. 

Nice owl! :thumsup:

• Like 1

Lofts are a nightmare to grow in unless you make a proper room stud work Celotex etc and plied over In taking from house or other source and extracting out the loft like a chimney or somewhere else. My attic was 46c today I don’t use the attic or house but gives you a idea add a 600w to that and it’s toasty winters are boltic in attics people do tents in lofts could clad the tent in celotex etc but it’s the air feed that needs sorting out good luck.

TS

• Like 4

I agree with what @Sinnerman said, a proper insulated area is a must especially in summer. As for scanners they can only detect surface temperature and cant see threw walls like some people think. A small 1.2m wont even be detectable from the out side so you should be all good there

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KC said:

Insulate the loft as best you can, it might seem a lot of work but if you're using it for the next few years it's not much effort really. You'll be safe from "scanners" I'd say, well I've never had any bother anyway. 

Nice owl! :thumsup:

Thanks man :yep: that’s what I was thinking some sort of insultion for now. 

2 minutes ago, Sinnerman said:

Lofts are a nightmare to grow in unless you make a proper room stud work Celotex etc and plied over In taking from house or other source and extracting out the loft like a chimney or somewhere else. My attic was 46c today I don’t use the attic or house but gives you a idea add a 600w to that and it’s toasty winters are boltic in attics people do tents in lofts could clad the tent in celotex etc but it’s the air feed that needs sorting out good luck.

TS

I was going to leave chimney alone for the time being i was thinking maybe leaving the HPS out of it and doubling up with CFL but it’s the yield I have to think about. And why go through all the same effort with CFL when there’s HPS for exactly the same risk..... 

thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

Just now, HazyHashMan said:

I agree with what @Sinnerman said, a proper insulated area is a must especially in summer. As for scanners they can only detect surface temperature and cant see threw walls like some people think. A small 1.2m wont even be detectable from the out side so you should be all good there

brilliant I’m might go with added fans inside to move heat around and get a fresh air intake so I’m drawing air in :v: 

• Like 1

@dweeeb  Intake fan would be a must in a loft, i'd get one the same size as your outtake just to be safe and a controller. Will you be intaking air from the loft itself or from a cooler room ? If it's from the loft it'll need to be seriously insulated

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HazyHashMan said:

@dweeeb  Intake fan would be a must in a loft, i'd get one the same size as your outtake just to be safe and a controller. Will you be intaking air from the loft itself or from a cooler room ? If it's from the loft it'll need to be seriously insulated

really you need 2” difference in outtake and intake obviously outtake being  the bigger to keep your negative pressure and make sure all your smells going out thru the filter and not the tent 

TS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dweeeb said:

Thanks man :yep: that’s what I was thinking some sort of insultion for now. 

I was going to leave chimney alone for the time being i was thinking maybe leaving the HPS out of it and doubling up with CFL but it’s the yield I have to think about. And why go through all the same effort with CFL when there’s HPS for exactly the same risk..... 

thanks for the replies.

cfls are pretty shite at hitting yields better off looking at led tbf id never use hps again led is the way forward ok you lose the heat hps can put into your room in the winter to keep temps I know maybe the prices of led are bit more expensive for sure but you’d be cooler than hps in summer but would have to supplement with heaters in winter with led my first led was a Mars hydro ts2000 and tbh used to get better yields and quality than with hps then went onto lumateks which are lot more expensive but lot better cfls man won’t give you big jars full my friend.

TS

• Like 1

@dweeeb

LED is the way forward growing in a loft. I use a Scopex 215w (courtesy of our site sponsor DIYLEDUK). My loft is converted and is my office so have the luxury of a Velux. This weekend has been pretty warm and sunny. Rarely have my temps gone over 27 c. I also still use a heat mat under my pots

I extract into the loft under the Velux and draw air from the loft itself. I have never had any issues doing this. 

• Like 1

I don't find there is much difference with the heat just having moved from a 600w hid to a 630w led, they both kick out loads. I'd go with the 600 hid for now until you're established (if you own one already). You'd be better off spending the money on insulation than a fancy light.

• Like 4

I used a 1.2 tent in the loft for a few years and the temps made growing in winter a nightmare causing me plenty issues..I ended up building a 1.5 m square groom with 70 mm insulation and plaster board..made a massive difference and I grow right through winter with my plants loving stable temps and environment.. 

I have underfloor heating mat under good laminate to keep floor temps good at 20c + . Even warms up me autopots a dream and pretty cheap to run after using a tent cover in fukin duvets, blankets and the likes :cowboy:
cheers and aw de best man…g 

• Like 5

@Sinnerman The controller is for the negative pressure, you'll want to run a low negative pressure in a loft to reduce heat during summer. If you run say a 6 in intake with a 4 in outtake the negative pressure would be about 50%+/- depending on what fans you pick which would mean 50% of the air in your tent will be coming from the loft which are usually in the high 30c upto even 40c in summer which will put your tent in the 30c+ range quite easily which ruins the quality and yeilds massively. If you built a room instead and made it 100% air tight you might be able to get away with a smaller intake but you'd need the intake hole to be the same size as your outtake for the extra air to come in and the air intake would have to come from a downstair room. Also the ducting itself would also have to be air tight without any perforated holes. Lofts are a right pain thought about doing it up there once but never went through in the end thank god

Edited by HazyHashMan
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, HazyHashMan said:

@Sinnerman The controller is for the negative pressure, you'll want to run a low negative pressure in a loft to reduce heat during summer. If you run say a 6 in intake with a 4 in outtake the negative pressure would be about 50%+/- depending on what fans you pick which would mean 50% of the air in your tent will be coming from the loft which are usually in the high 30c upto even 40c in summer which will put your tent in the 30c+ range quite easily which ruins the quality and yeilds massively. If you built a room instead and made it 100% air tight you might be able to get away with a smaller intake but you'd need the intake hole to be the same size as your outtake for the extra air to come in and the air intake would have to come from a downstair room. Also the ducting itself would also have to be air tight without any perforated holes. Lofts are a right pain thought about doing it up there once but never went through in the end thank god

read my post that’s what I said you want the bigger diameter higher flow rated fan as the outtake my friend!

TS

• Like 1

@Sinnerman I think you're confusing what i mean, if OP runs a bigger outtake his negative pressure will be around 50% which is too high for what he needs. It will intake too much hot air passively from his loft causing the tent to overheat. Unless they build a complete air tight room which will still require the intake hole to be the same size but you could run a smaller fan within the larger intake duct but it would be a poor and inificient way of going about it

• Like 1