Online TV for a luddite....

Captain Bonglington

As I say I don't own a mobile phone so I could be talking shite lol But as I understand it Chromecast is what a lot of people use to stream stuff from their phone to their telly.

I assume tablets (even the cheap ones) have an HDMI port :unsure: (just googled, apparently older laptops generally have an HDMI port, newer ones hve a USB-C port, which does video output, just just need a cable with a USB-C plug at one end and an HDMI plug at the other.

• Like 1

Can't you just plug an ether cable into your old sky box and use the apps through that? :unsure: cost sfa. lol  

• Like 1

i have an old pc i use with a hdmi connection for when i want to download something but i also have a smart tele with the apps in, although i only really watch youtube these days, most tv shows bore me these days, and i think i watched all the tv shows that were made pre 2015 lol

That's why I tried to download chrome to my kindle...see if that worked. 

The screen cast function from my Motorola phone to the TV via the WiFi gizmo didn't work...scanned the qr code but it seems the telly needed its own broadband source to connect? :unsure:

I've got an old ROKU box that cost about a fiver which I use that for the on demand stuff from the BBC, ITV, CHannel 4 and Channel 5. Anything else, cos it doesn't do Freeview Play for example, and KODI stuff (I mostly use KODI to watch the footy) like I said I play it on my laptop with an HDMI cable to me telly (also do it for Youtube music vids cos the Youtube on the ROKU box has adverts, Firefox with uBlock and Noscript blocks the advers but my laptop has shite speakers so I run it from my laptop through the HDMI cable to my telly, cos my telly has relatively decent speakers).

• Like 1

Just now, Saddam said:

Can't you just plug an ether cable into your old sky box and use the apps through that? :unsure: cost sfa. lol  

Like I said., slowly...so ether cable from router to ancient sky box and what apps? :unsure:

I understand sfa....:yes:

1 minute ago, ratdog said:

i have an old pc i use with a hdmi connection for when i want to download something but i also have a smart tele with the apps in, although i only really watch youtube these days, most tv shows bore me these days, and i think i watched all the tv shows that were made pre 2015 lol

My telly isn't smart...

I spend too much time watching repeats on Dave, to be honest just like to watch documentaries, a bit of sport and a bit of comedy...

I watched the whole Grand Prix on my phone last night, I have fast broadband and it ran seamlessly, I was very impressed, hence my decision to drop the live tv. I can watch new documentaries I can't watch on freeview for free, at a time of my choosing, it's a no brainer. :yep:

It's been nice not having the telly on, but it's nice to have it if you see what I mean. Quality over quantity.

Edited by Captain Bonglington

4k firestick from amazon about £50 half decent IPTV installed and watch what i want when i want got it connected upto a £150 projector in my mancave.

The iptv costs me about £100 a year but its top notch no buffering.

• Like 3

Just now, murphyblue said:

The iptv costs me about £100 a year but its top notch no buffering

IPTV? 

I've decided I don't want to spend a single penny on tv bar investing in a new device that will be multi purpose though. :yep:

26 minutes ago, ratdog said:

you'll have to google it mate

Google? What's that then?  :unsure: :wassnnme:

Edited by Captain Bonglington

You've got plenty of options presented to you @Captain Bonglington already so I'm not going to chime in with more of the same.  However, good on you for ditching the lamestream licence fee tax and wising up to the world of watching whatever you decide to watch and not what someone else says you are to watch :yep:   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

Quality over quantity

agree with that, i only watch a few hours in the evening/night these days

• Like 1

Just now, Captain Bonglington said:

Google? What's that then?  :unsure: :wassnnme:

apparently it's what grandad used to use