Online TV for a luddite....

Captain Bonglington

Ok I'm not quite a Luddite but i need computer stuff explained to me very slowly and carefully and often more than once. :yes:

What's happened is as follows....

I'm having some work done at mine, I arrived home after a long day to find they'd put the scaffolding up in front of the sky dish...I was looking forward to chilling out in front of the cricket for a while, and wasn't in the best of moods anyway, suffice to say I was fucking tamping. :rolleyes:

I was up on that scaffolding like a fucking shot, took it off the wall  and freed up some cable and tried to reposition it, to no avail. 

Then the landlord lent me a satellite finder...found a strong signal and it still wouldn't work....

Then I thought fuck this, what am I doing? I spend to much time sat in front of a telly watching repeats on freeview anyway, and after installing an app or two to my phone it's suddenly dawned on me I can watch what I want, when I want online....fancy that! lol

So I've decided to go down the no live tv route and no fucking licence....It was due for renewal some months anyway, so they're going to get arsey soon, but I just can't bring myself to pay it. :yes:

Now, I don't want to use my phone for TV use, what I'd like to do is buy a new tablet or laptop to link to my television so I can watched the streamed stuff on a big screen....

How do I best go about this for minimum expenditure? 

And what apps/sites would folk recommend? 

Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum, but it's all new to me and I'm starting from the beginning. :)

Edited by Captain Bonglington
  • Like 1

Just now, Captain Bonglington said:

Now, I don't want to use my phone for TV use, what I'd like to do is buy a new tablet or laptop to link to my television so I can watched the streamed stuff on a big screen....

How do I best go about this for minimum expenditure? 

And what apps/sites would folk recommend? 

Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum, but it's all new to me and I'm starting from the beginning. :)

Get a Laptop with a HDMI socket. Make sure your TV has one also. 

1. Put HDMI lead into Laptop. Put the other end into TV in HDMI 2 or something. 

2. Get your TV remote and choose HDMI 2 in the settings and you will see your PC

You can then stream TV from whatever source you are using. Sky Remote or You Tube etc. Using your laptop mean you are using the net not an Ariel 

• Like 7

Just now, Larry Badgeley said:

Get a Laptop with a HDMI socket. Make sure your TV has one also. 

1. Put HDMI lead into Laptop. Put the other end into TV in HDMI 2 or something. 

2. Get your TV remote and choose HDMI 2 in the settings and you will see your PC

That's how I watch streaming stuff (legitimate or KODI) on my telly, I don't have a moblie phone.

• Like 3

If I were to go down the tablet route, how would I go about that? 

Do they have that screen cast function or can you connect manually? 

A friend lent me a WiFi screen cast receiver thingy to plug into my telly but it's not compatible with my phone. Is that a viable option? :unsure:

If I could do it with a 50 quid tablet that would be preferable to 200+ on a laptop. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

If I could do it with a 50 quid tablet that would be preferable to 200+ on a laptop. 

If you do go really cheap, I'd strongly advise don't buy one in that price range - under 100 - on Amazon. So many fakes.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Saddam said:

If you have a PlayStation or Xbox, you can just use that. :D  

No.

I use a fairly elderly Kindle Fire for my web browsing, with Silk browser. I followed an online guide to replace it with chrome but it won't have it. 

So it's either a half decent tablet or a bottom of the range laptop...pros and cons? :unsure:

And I'm still unsure of the connection procedure via a tablet. :unsure:

18 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

f I could do it with a 50 quid tablet that would be preferable to 200+ on a laptop. 

I get all my laptops secondhand refurbished, usually around the £100 mark...

There's a charity near me who do the refurb and sell them to raise money for ex con recovering addicts, money well spent I reckon...:yep:

Might be something worthwhile like it near you bud?

• Like 9

Yeah, I'd look at that @stu914:yep:

Ready to go or do they need an OS installing? 

I'll look into it. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Captain Bonglington said:

Yeah, I'd look at that @stu914:yep:

Ready to go or do they need an OS installing? 

I'll look into it. :)

Plug in and play...:yep:...usually come with a 3 month guarantee as well...

Oh and BTW...I'm far more luddite when it comes to tech...computer speak is like a foreign language...:wallbash:

I can only assume OS is 'operating system' ? whatever that is?

• Like 3

Correct, I think...Windows or Android or whatever...We're on about the same level I think. lol

• Like 2

Which end? :unsure:

Or was it the bow? :ouch:

Anyway, I'd like to watch such videos on a big screen.....:)

• Like 1