Back and need help with cloning please

Hello once again, it's been a while, more than 2 years i think, I've lost count, anyway good to be back on here, I wasn't doing any growing for a while but started again last year. Right now I have a beautiful Landrace Lebanese mother plant, growing under the sun in a pot on the balcony, i took 2 clones from her over a week ago, i don't have access to rooting hormone over here in Lebanon so i used organic honey instead, i heard it gets good results, now, one clone seems to be ok and i think might have rooted, the other is wilty and doesn't look so hot, maybe she won't make it, i put them in soil as i also don't have access to rock wool here, in small pots that are half full, then i covered the top with cling wrap and a rubber band, as a makeshift dome for each plant in this case. i try to give them a bit of direct sun every day, but then move them in a shaded area as i don't want to stress them too much yet, i also periodically uncover them until they start to wilt, then cover them back up again. Today, i took 3 more clones from the mama but this time i decided to try using Aloe Vera gel instead, i have a big aloe plant so that's easy, i hope works better than the honey.

So...... have I done it right? what would you suggest? i have not cloned in a long, long time now, and the last time i had rooting hormone powder, that was years ago. Peace and stay free.

• Like 3

Oh my. Lebanese. My favourite ever Hash. We never see it here in the UK. Red or Blonde it was a staple in my youth. Cloth wrapped slabs of tasty fluffy Hash. What would I give for a slab?

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed
  • Like 2

Keep them out of direct sunshine until they have developed roots. They cant effectively transpirate, so putting them into the sun is just asking to dry them out and kill them.

• Like 4

Agreed... a shaded area, not too hot, until definitely rooted. Let them do their thing. I try to keep mine between 24-26°C and only open the clingfilm once or twice to check the moisture level of the medium, until I see definite upward growth.

In my opinion, Aloe is far superior than any bottled rooting compound. Never tried honey myself.

Good luck and don't be impatient, some vars can take forever to root. 

19 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

Oh my. Lebanese. My favourite ever Hash. We never see it here in the UK. Red or Blonde it was a staple in my youth. Cloth wrapped slabs of tasty fluffy Hash. What would I give for a slab?

It's still around amongst older heads but now commands a pretty steep price. Invite me up for a dinner and I'll bring a hunk along ;) (joking... I know this ain't a damn hook up site lol)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lemons&Diesel said:

Keep them out of direct sunshine until they have developed roots. They cant effectively transpirate, so putting them into the sun is just asking to dry them out and kill them.

Thanks, maybe that's why the other one was having a hard time, noted.

50 minutes ago, SYZYGY said:

Agreed... a shaded area, not too hot, until definitely rooted. Let them do their thing. I try to keep mine between 24-26°C and only open the clingfilm once or twice to check the moisture level of the medium, until I see definite upward growth.

In my opinion, Aloe is far superior than any bottled rooting compound. Never tried honey myself.

Good luck and don't be impatient, some vars can take forever to root. 

It's still around amongst older heads but now commands a pretty steep price. Invite me up for a dinner and I'll bring a hunk along ;) (joking... I know this ain't a damn hook up site lol)

Once traveling becomes possible again, you are welcome to hang out here if you visit, and worth the trip. nuff said. GLAD to hear it about the aloe. :)

1 hour ago, Larry Badgeley said:

Red is usually the better one among them, i currently have a slab that is just mind blowing. it's very dense actually this one not so fluffy, and what a kick. I have another older slab of a lighter color, i think it's blonde, it's very good but just doesn't compare to the aforementioned one. Again, once travel becomes feasible, you are welcome to drop by if you're in the neighborhood some day, we are all one, a stranger is just someone you haven't met yet.

• Like 9

@High007 @SYZYGY

It's been along time since I bought any hash. I do know an old head who has contacts in the Midlands somewhere. I did see, and buy, something that was reportedly from The Lebanon. However it didn't have that reddish colour and that beautiful flavour. Just don't know these days. I suspect from Syria maybe?? Not Maroc though. I remember we would by 9 oz slabs cloth wrapped and make tea with the Muslin

• Like 1
Just now, Larry Badgeley said:

@High007 @SYZYGY

It's been along time since I bought any hash. I do know an old head who has contacts in the Midlands somewhere. I did see, and buy, something that was reportedly from The Lebanon. However it didn't have that reddish colour and that beautiful flavour. Just don't know these days. I suspect from Syria maybe?? Not Maroc though. I remember we would by 9 oz slabs cloth wrapped and make tea with the Muslin

When I visited Amsterdam a couple of times in the past, some of the coffeeshops there sell Lebanese, so I guess they still export to Europe.. you guys can just take a boat ferry and get there, lucky buggers.

• Like 1

the 3 clones clones i took yesterday with the aloe vera dip seem to be doing really well, suspiciously well actually, i uncovered them this morning to get some fresh air and they have not wilted even now, i just misted them anyway just to be safe.

• Like 3

You don't need any of that crap to root cuttings. 

Some strains definitely root easier than others but a glass of water is all you need. Next time your taking cuttings, jib the honey, aloe or rooting hormones and just stick them straight in water. Dont change the water at all, just top it up as it goes down and you'll have roots in 7-10 days. 

Also, remove any fan leaves or growth from the stem and just leave the top two leaves and shoot. If the top leaves are small then leave them but if you have larger leaves cut them down so you only have about a square inch of leaf area left. The water needs to say warm as wellt. Around 20-25 degrees. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 10:41 PM, Whatwentwrong said:

You don't need any of that crap to root cuttings. 

Some strains definitely root easier than others but a glass of water is all you need. Next time your taking cuttings, jib the honey, aloe or rooting hormones and just stick them straight in water. Dont change the water at all, just top it up as it goes down and you'll have roots in 7-10 days. 

Also, remove any fan leaves or growth from the stem and just leave the top two leaves and shoot. If the top leaves are small then leave them but if you have larger leaves cut them down so you only have about a square inch of leaf area left. The water needs to say warm as wellt. Around 20-25 degrees. 

2 of the 9 clones i took are going through your method (they are 8 now, a soil one did not make it but the rest are just fine), as I want to try it, they are doing well so far just like the others, only they don't have any soil, only water, although to be honest i did dip them in the aloe vera first, because when i make the cut, i prefer to seal it with something as quick as i can so no air embolisms occur, so out on the balcony the only thing on hand is my aloe vera. i left slight more than just the top two fan leaves and growing tip, does that matter? because with all the clones anyway i cut off half the leaf blades to reduce the transpiration, i think it's the same concept as what you're saying, just less drastic.

• Like 1

When you can see about three 1-2cm roots on the cuttings then it's time to put them in soil. 

It's nice being able to see the little white dots form and turn into roots. 

Another week has gone by, I don't know if they've rooted yet, I hear that when the leaves start to yellow that means they've rooted, well i see a couple of them a have tiny amount of yellowing on the leaf tips but otherwise, they're all green and fine like the rest (but.......... another of the oldest clones, the last of the first ones i took with honey, is wilting, she might not make it by the looks of her, that leaves 7 healthy looking clones, the aloe vera seems to be superior to honey big time) and the 2 i put in water are just fine too, however, i found it a bit strange, when i lifted it out of the water to see if it grew any roots, i didn't see any, it was hard to see the stem end actually, because it was encased in this glob, which i assume might well be the aloe Vera i dipped them in before putting them in the water, it looks like it's still on the stem, but i doubt it would b hindering root production, or is it? maybe if i just cut that bit off and let the new cut sit in the water, but at this stage can the clones take it..  maybe I'll just wait and see.

Just now, High007 said:

Another week has gone by, I don't know if they've rooted yet, I hear that when the leaves start to yellow that means they've rooted, well i see a couple of them a have tiny amount of yellowing on the leaf tips but otherwise, they're all green and fine like the rest (but.......... another of the oldest clones, the last of the first ones i took with honey, is wilting, she might not make it by the looks of her, that leaves 7 healthy looking clones, the aloe vera seems to be superior to honey big time) and the 2 i put in water are just fine too, however, i found it a bit strange, when i lifted it out of the water to see if it grew any roots, i didn't see any, it was hard to see the stem end actually, because it was encased in this glob, which i assume might well be the aloe Vera i dipped them in before putting them in the water, it looks like it's still on the stem, but i doubt it would b hindering root production, or is it? maybe if i just cut that bit off and let the new cut sit in the water, but at this stage can the clones take it..  maybe I'll just wait and see.

On second thought, that glob might be the roots forming, so I'll hold off any cutting and will wait and see what happens next.

i use clear party cups with domes, just some damp compost in the bottom, dip the clones in seaweed extract and stick them in damp compost and seal up, you will see roots when they show. keep them at about 26oc

• Like 1