Forcing a photo

Roofless won

I have a couple of photoperiods which I originally intended to use as mothers for a cloning experiment. Once they had served their purpose I was going to let them flower naturally at the end of the season. I did have a vague plan to maybe force them into flowering a few weeks early to try to avoid a late harvest and any potential issues with bud rot etc.

However, given the size that my auto has already attained I'm now really concerned I'm gonna end up with a couple of triffids in the greenhouse which will kinda pull the rug out from under my stealthy greenhouse grow so I've decided to start forcing them to flower now.

I've cut down an old water butt to provide a hopefully light proof cover and the plan is to cover 1 plant from 4pm to 10pm and then the other from 10pm to 10am which hopefully will force both plants to flower.

Obviously it's a big commitment in terms of time but hopefully I will be able to maintain the schedule. Has anyone done similar? Did it work?

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

I know there are a few people on here that swear by light deprivation for forcing plants to flower early outdoors. There is a big thread on it somewhere in the GG section and there were some pretty amazing results.

Best of luck with it.

greenie

• Like 2

One plant is already sunken into the ground, I intend to do the same with the one currently inside the water butt which will give me around 80cms of growing height. I LST the main growing tip so it never gets more than an inch or so above the surface of the compost so hopefully 80cms of growth height will be plentylarge.IMG_20210516_170044.jpglarge.IMG_20210516_170054.jpg

• Like 3

Nice idea and i think it will work.

However....

Will it not get really humid and deprived of CO2 under the bin?  Can you raise it on stones to allow for some airflow but still be dark enough to induce flowering.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lildaveham said:

However....

Will it not get really humid and deprived of CO2 under the bin?  Can you raise it on stones to allow for some airflow but still be dark enough to induce flowering.

Probably - which is why my intention is to limit the water butt use to as short a period of time as possible. My original plan was to use just 1 butt so 1 plant would have just 6 hours ( 4pm to 10pm) in the butt but the second plant would be doing a full 12 hours ( 10 pm to 10am) . I currently thinking of using 2 butts and doing both plants from 4pm to 10pm. Less stress for the plants and less stress for me too

I light deprived an amnesia last year (seed shop had them advertised as auto in error). Put it in a tall kitchen cupboard overnight and it started flowering in under a week. Ended up being annoying getting up early to get it back in the greenhouse for its 12 hours but did the job. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, lildaveham said:

However....

Some extractor hood filter and a a usb fan could be a shout. 

• Like 1

Yeah I did think about a fan, I've acquired a second "hood" so I've got both covered now from 4pm to 10pm so hopefully humidity won't be a huge issue, and the amount of time they spend covered will start reducing soon anyway

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

In the end I decided to try the water butt on just one plant - all my autos are starting to flower and I'm a little worried my stealthy greenhouse grow will become anything but stealthy. Here she is this morning

large.IMG_20210609_094414.jpg

large.IMG_20210609_094421.jpg

I'm also trying to force a clone as an experiment - no veg stage. The baby clone is a couple of weeks behind the mother - still stretching atm. Pictures below both plants are going under cover from 4pm to 10.30pm - seems to be working so far

large.IMG_20210609_093301.jpglarge.IMG_20210609_093330.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, Roofless won said:

I'm also trying to force a clone as an experiment

Providing you have complete blackout there's no reason the clone won't flower...she's the same age as the mother plant...:yep:

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

Providing you have complete blackout there's no reason the clone won't flower...she's the same age as the mother plant...:yep:

Yeah I get that - she's preflowering atm - definitely stretching - the reason I call it an experiment is because I'm curious as to how she will develop and how much bud she will produce

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roofless won said:

how much bud she will produce

It's a very efficient way of growing if you're not bothered about plant numbers.

I used to do SOG with 24 in a 1m2 flood and drain years ago with just a week or so veg.

Depending on strain I would guess yield at between 1/4 and 1/2 oz per plant...:yep:

• Like 1

Hi people, wth is a semi auto? If I'm reading it right a semi is a photo period plant that only requires a relatively short period of darkness to force it to flower - is that correct? That sounds amazing - but no seed bank seems to list the amount of darkness required or give any indication of when a semi might be expected to begin flowering at say for example 50N. I was thinking I could force it to flower a month early by covering it and then let nature take it's course to finish it off but without knowing the number of hours of darkness required for flowering I see many years of trail and error ahead. Does anyone have any information on when a semi might begin flowering or the number of hours of darkness it needs to start?

Thanks for reading

• Like 1