Recommended Timer

Twiftking

Guest UrbanMiffs
On 26/04/2021 at 2:16 PM, GSZZ said:

Aren't manufactured anymore :yep: Grasslin went bust a short while ago, a UK company called "Optimum" bought them out, eeevveerrryyyy segmental timer now is an optimum, contactors, standard timers, IWS timers etc. Just as a little addon, maybe someone had the bright idea at optimum to use a single grade of plastic down from what grasslin used to use, so there has been lots of returns of contactors with optimum timers failing, the main problem is that when the timer reaches the ON period, it actually forces the manual control switch to either ON or OFF, which as you can imagine has caused lots of problems. Had I had not been dealing with the returns (it was maxiswitches and sentinals specifically) I would never have known.

I was wondering why i couldnt find them when i wanted a couple recently. Ended up buying cheap ones from bnq instead, which work fine so far but you can tell they arent grasslin quality just by looking at them.

Edited by UrbanMiffs

Nobody mentioned the 4 way smart strip from Meross. 4 plugs controlled by app. Lights, pumps, res heaters etc at the control of your phone. You can create routines or just go full manual, i.e. give a 4 min water from work or the bus. Only £24, and they also do one with 4x USB slots for the silent usb circulation fans. Not perfect but reliable and good value for 4x silent timers. If WiFi drops off, they still do their thing. :yep: 

• Like 2

Just now, Slippy One said:

Nobody mentioned the 4 way smart strip from Meross. 4 plugs controlled by app. Lights, pumps, res heaters etc at the control of your phone. You can create routines or just go full manual, i.e. give a 4 min water from work or the bus. Only £24, and they also do one with 4x USB slots for the silent usb circulation fans. Not perfect but reliable and good value for 4x silent timers. If WiFi drops off, they still do their thing. :yep: 

Ahead of your time mate, those are great bits of kit in their own right, right now, but when crop steering and all the moisture and pwEC monitoring that comes with it is going to require way more specific and timed control options and something like the Meross strip will be a great low cost but intelligent option!!

• Like 1

On 26/04/2021 at 10:24 PM, photobat said:

let me know what you think of them

I've just started using these. I like them.

There is a little learning curve involved and I had to spend some time to get familiar with how they work.

I was thrown a couple of times by the odd auto/ manual/ on/ of single button routine when having a quick look at plants during lights off and had a couple of timing mishaps on account.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wacky Wardrobe said:

I've just started using these. I like them.

There is a little learning curve involved and I had to spend some time to get familiar with how they work.

I was thrown a couple of times by the odd auto/ manual/ on/ of single button routine when having a quick look at plants during lights off and had a couple of timing mishaps on account.

Yes exactly i still need to refer to the little booklet at times but it's fairly simple !!

Love a bit of timed to the minute control and I especially like the Count Down function "CD Button", useful to set a short length of power On time, useful for a quick pump a reservoir before re-checking EC or Ph etc. saves having to remember to go turn a pump or something off, not that any of us ever forget to turn anything off:skin_up: :rolleyes:

• Like 1