Recommended Timer

Twiftking

I've had some issues with a 7-day digital plug in timer I've been using to control my dripper system.

It seems to lose its mind in various ways, I wouldn't mind but they weren't super cheap.

Anyway, I don't trust them at all so I'm looking for replacement. A 24hr timer would be fine as I run the same watering schedule everyday but the only type I have seen is the segment type and the shortest watering period these can achieve is 15mins and this is a bit long as I prefer to do three 4minute waterings per day.

I'm blathering but yeah, please can you recommend a timer that's not crap. I have also looked at immersion heater type timers and making a timer board for lights and pumps.

Got to get yourself a greenpower contractor, never had a problem with mine or friends who use them, not the cheapest but does the job properly. I have a massive draw full of faulty plug in timers all of them are crap. Only ones iv used that haven't broke on me were the heavy duty black orchid ones but i'd still go with the greenway contractors

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

Grasslin Timers

I've heard good things about this make as well.

@HazyHashMan OP doesn't need a contactor as he isn't drawing any load, he just needs decent timer.

• Like 5

You need something like an IWS minute/second timer or an imperium timer. You connect the minute/second time to the normal 15 min segment timer so you can program your feed down to a set period of say 15 seconds to a minute, however many times a day you want

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HazyHashMan said:

Got to get yourself a greenpower contractor, never had a problem with mine or friends who use them, not the cheapest but does the job properly. I have a massive draw full of faulty plug in timers all of them are crap. Only ones iv used that haven't broke on me were the heavy duty black orchid ones but i'd still go with the greenway contractors

Thats a bit overkill for a dripper lad lol

5 hours ago, zen-ken said:

Grasslin Timers

Aren't manufactured anymore :yep: Grasslin went bust a short while ago, a UK company called "Optimum" bought them out, eeevveerrryyyy segmental timer now is an optimum, contactors, standard timers, IWS timers etc. Just as a little addon, maybe someone had the bright idea at optimum to use a single grade of plastic down from what grasslin used to use, so there has been lots of returns of contactors with optimum timers failing, the main problem is that when the timer reaches the ON period, it actually forces the manual control switch to either ON or OFF, which as you can imagine has caused lots of problems. Had I had not been dealing with the returns (it was maxiswitches and sentinals specifically) I would never have known.

20 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

ou need something like an IWS minute/second timer or an imperium timer.

Second this :yep: great bits of kit, sturdy, reliable, have never let me down. GSE watering timer (if you can still get them) are also really ace but work a little differen't as the timer functions works via a light sensor so IE you'd set the pump to feed for X amount of time, Y hours after the lights come on.

• Like 6

@GSZZ Yeah must admit it is definetly overkill lol but after many misshaps with the cheaper kind i don't touch anything else now. Hopefully the grasslin timers are reliable never used those yet but should be fine under such a low load. £75 for a greenway aint the worst of investments though, could use it for more stuff in future

• Like 1

On 26/04/2021 at 8:16 AM, Twiftking said:

I've had some issues with a 7-day digital plug in timer I've been using to control my dripper system.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-tes7-digital-plug-in-plug-through-programmable-timer/50676?

£8.89 7 day plug in timer, with 1 minute intervals that you can set to turn on/off upto 10 times per 24 hrs period, it also has other features that are handy, a button to kick off pre-determined length of time that you desire, for example i have mine running an air pump, if i add new nutes or water to my res i press the button and it turns the air pump on for 5 mins (which i set it at), pop back after 5 mins and i can re-measure ph etc. it also has British summertime buttons to press that saves reprogramming up to ten on/off periods, i have several of these, for air pumps and water pumps and they are awesome imo, i even have colour coded them so if i want to change from 10 floods a day to 8 or whatever i just swap the digi timers and boom job done !!

Cant recommend enough at this price and easy to get hold of at Screwfix, if you get one let me know what you think of them because i think they are a god send.

Edited by Joolz
  • Like 2

Just now, photobat said:

wtf it double posted for when i was editing the first post god only knows

Edited by photobat

I just got a 8 quid digital one from morrisons when I was doing the weekly shop, does great, my parents have the same one, its been turning a lamp on  and off (so people think someone is home) everyday for years and years, so I feel like its trustworthy. For this day and age its an incredibly simple device, so shouldn't need to spend a lot to get a good one

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 8:55 AM, HazyHashMan said:

2nd vote for greenpower. Great contractor never had an issue.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, photobat said:

£8.89 7 day plug in timer, with 1 minute intervals that you can set to turn on/off upto 10 times per 24 hrs period, it also has other features that are handy, a button to kick off pre-determined length of time that you desire, for example i have mine running an air pump, if i add new nutes or water to my res i press the button and it turns the air pump on for 5 mins (which i set it at), pop back after 5 mins and i can re-measure ph etc. it also has British summertime buttons to press that saves reprogramming up to ten on/off periods, i have several of these, for air pumps and water pumps and they are awesome imo, i even have colour coded them so if i want to change from 10 floods a day to 8 or whatever i just swap the digi timers and boom job done !!

Cant recommend enough at this price and easy to get hold of at Screwfix, if you get one let me know what you think of them because i think they are a god send.

Just had a look at this looks perfect for what I might want! 

Edited by 80085
  • Like 1