An idiots guide to self build rdwc system

space_monkey

Hope everyone had a great 420

So I've decided to make the most of my drying tent and turn it into a veg room so I can get a continuous grow going.

In my flower room i run a 8 35l pot alien rdwc sysyem.

I've just been out to b and q and my local grow shop and picked up all the bits I need to build a 10 site rdwc system for about 160 quid compared to 700 for an equivalent alien system.

Will be getting it put together tonight and putting some pics up of the prossess.

This is the 1st time I have had a go at making a system and only decided to give it a go late last night so hopefully help out someone not sure on the diy route.

• Like 8

Just now, fatboy77 said:

Timing dude, beat me to it.  Following. 

Will see how it goes. Fought if I'm making one I may aswell put it up on here and help everyone out.

• Like 1

Oooh a nice new build thread Tell me more lol

10 pots what size? I like the strata black 42ltr totes with yellow handles with 40mm solvent weld fittings for my builds just on the verge of creating a 8,9 or 10 pot myself when I've finished the space  so will watch with interest

Good luck mate 

So here is most of what I've bought today for my setup how much it cost and where from.

For some reason my phone didn't have a pound button so will use $ instead.

2 x 150L tubs what fit in my tent perfectly. These are realy sturdy and only $20 from B and Q

1 x 64L tub $12 B and Q

4 x 40mm pipe fittings $2.50 each B And Q 

3m 40mm pipe $4.50 B and Q

10 x air stones $1.50 each local GS 

10m 4mm premium air hose $1.20 p/m from GS

1000ltr/min air pump $20 GS 

10 x 150mm alien net pots. ( So I can transfer direct from veg room to grow room)

From hg-hydroponics $2.69 each.

1060ltr/hr air pump $39 amazon.

Will be starting the build this evening as the wife wants me to take her out for dinner. Better keep her happy as she doesn't know this is how I've spent my day out at grow shops.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Intense Nutrients Matt said:

Oooh a nice new build thread Tell me more lol

10 pots what size? I like the strata black 42ltr totes with yellow handles with 40mm solvent weld fittings for my builds just on the verge of creating a 8,9 or 10 pot myself when I've finished the space  so will watch with interest

Good luck mate 

I'm using 2 big 150ltr totes each with 5 sites. I'm only going to be using this side for veg and then move them directly into my flower room.

I'm going to be taking 40 or so cuttings just before flip. Then I can transplant the best 10 into this system to veg. When moving to flowering room I will take the best 8 plant so hopefully gonna be getting the best phenos possible. 

Only thing I'm still trying to work out a good system for mainlining while in these totes.

• Like 1

Will get pic up to tomorrow evening as im still waiting for some parts 

Would rather get everything up together so it's easier for everyone.

• Like 1

So my best mate the postman has been today with lots of goodies for me.

Just sorting my res change then into the build so stay tuned.

Ok guys been in the grow room since 5 sorting bit out.

just typing out my build now so wont be long.

Here are the bits that came in the post today 

large.IMG_20210422_182732_compress70.jpg

• Like 2

So here it goes The Idiots Guide To DIY RDWC ( I really do mean idiots this is so easy to make my 5 year old could do it)

1st off I laid everything out where I wanted it to get an idea what would be needed.

large.IMG_20210421_154358_compress3.jpg

Then I marked where I would need to cut holes out for the pipework.

large.IMG_20210421_203014_compress99.jpg

Next cut out the holes and sand down and texture of the plastic until smooth.

(Dont skip the sanding, this will help stop leaks)

large.IMG_20210421_202854_compress80.jpg

Next assemble your pipes into the couplings and attach them between your pots.

you can add as many extra pots to this system by just repeating the last step.

Make sure when planning where to site the pipe always try and get it as far away from the last pipe to ensure a good undercurrent.

large.IMG_20210421_202415_compress52.jpglarge.IMG_20210422_185827_compress42.jpglarge.IMG_20210422_190625_compress14.jpg

When fitting the pipes I noticed that the o rings were really cheap quality. luckily I had some spare nice ones to beef it up a bit.

large.IMG_20210422_185521_compress68.jpg

Next I set the water pump up in the brain pot and drilled holes between the last pot connecting the 2.

large.IMG_20210422_184418_compress43.jpglarge.IMG_20210422_184332_compress10.jpg

Now set up your air stones where you want them and run the hose long enough to reach the air pump.

Drill holes into the top of the pot to run the air hose.

(leave air stones to soak for 24 hrs before use)

large.IMG_20210422_205231_compress96.jpg

Next step is to take out all of your net pots and place them where you would like the plants to go.

When you have decided your positioning draw around the post to mark where to cut.

large.IMG_20210422_201255_compress89.jpglarge.IMG_20210422_201559_compress68.jpg

Next we need to cut the holes out for the pots to sit in. Don't use your line as a mark to cut otherwise your pot will fall in. leave a small gap between the inside of the line, 2cm around the edge should give you a good fit.

large.IMG_20210422_220449_compress75.jpglarge.IMG_20210422_220944_compress3.jpg

And there we have it as easy as that. 10 site RDWC ready for my veg tent.

can easily be added to in the future.

I hope all this makes sense, never tried making a guide and this is the 1st time I have even made a system so any feedback more than welcome 

Also as a treat to myself and to help the site on 420 I have decided to become a lifetime subscriber so if you fancy a subbie seed grow diary using this system let me know and I may do one.

On the same note would anyone want to see a start to finish diary for my complete system from clones starting next week with the 1st test for this system. 

• Like 5

Interesting but you haven't gone into details about the pumps etc and doesn't this need a reservoir with feed etc

• Like 1