Kilner Jars Leaking Smell?

BlueberryCookie

On 18/04/2021 at 10:35 AM, growinggold said:

Anyone use screw tops?

I use a combination of the screw top mason jars and the clip top Kilner ones. The screw top ones are great you just need to buy new lids every so often as the rubber seal wears away and they can get leaky.

The clip top lids I replace the seals after every grow but for longer storage if you get a new seal, pre soak it in warm / hot water then use it and seal it tight you get a great seal. 

Don't forget to think where you are storing it as if its a cold barn like me the seals expand and retract slight with the temperature so sometimes in the cold you get a little leak.

• Like 3

I've got a few bormioli 5 litre Mason jars, they work fine. Also an old protein screw top 5 litre tub, that leaks a bit. Latest storage idea is a 30 litre open top keg, the seals great and I can fit my big hands in it easily, it's food grade and has a strong metal clip for sealing it plus I can fit 36 zips in it

On 21/04/2021 at 10:33 PM, Slippy One said:

XL Le Parfait's fresh rubber every other year. Nothing better. 

^^ This, some jars even when new have a dry old rubber seal. The oils seem to penetrate the rubber and eventually leak out. Ive bought some big ass 6 Litre screw tops for my first harvest so I hope they are better.

• Like 1

You can get nice green (or any other colour) silicone rubber replacement seals; it's a much better/more stable/inert material than the rubber they supply the jars with. You can clean them properly too.

What a lovely problem to have.

• Like 3