Wilma system

Matthew420

Hi guys,

have run a 4 pot wilma for over a year now no issues had upgraded the pump and used the spare as a circulator in the res.

recently got a 9 pot same story better pump and old one in res. Running same nutes and pebbles. Getting blockages and a lot of leaks from the wilma system tubing so upgraded to 19mm hose with all the correct elbows and 2 stainless manifold to try help it. Still getting blockages . My other wilma never has an issue with this. The only differnce is the brand of pebbles but they were well rinsed my local shop never hard any canna ao got vitalink pebbles notices a black buildup and some white buildup ao wondering if its and algae or salt build up?

Are you using sponge over the inlet of the pump ? I used both types of clay balls in past no issues , maybe list what feeds and additives you’re using that may help people help you better.

16 minutes ago, Arthur Mix said:

Are you using sponge over the inlet of the pump ? I used both types of clay balls in past no issues , maybe list what feeds and additives you’re using that may help people help you better.

My pump doesnt have a sponge  its got like a grate? .the flow out the 19mm from the pump seems fine only when it hits the manifold does the pressure drop. Pump is a hygger 4000l/h 90 watt pump. Ionic nutrients /growth technology for ph down. I have purchased to inline filter today and some plant magic cleaner for drippers aswell . Going to give it all a good clean through and fit the filters. 

the white build up sounds like salt build up. ionic nutrients wont be the issue, ive been using them for years in recirculating systems without any issues. 

If you have added anything additional, i would look at it and make sure there are no organic ingredients in it, as these will block pipes.

Another option is to replace the dripper hoses if they have had a fair few outings. 

the 4000 litre a minute pump is gonna be a bit much for this. im using a maxijet 1000 on my 4 pot dripper ring system and it supplies plenty of nutrient. they are also fairly cheap pumps, have a filter and never really fail. i had one going about 5 years, 24/7 on my chiller

Edited by badbillybob

The system is 3 weeks old. Only nutes in tank are ionic grow, calmag and liquid oxygen plus some ph down. Nothing else. Pots are clay pebbles with a root riot cube . 

Just now, badbillybob said:

the white build up sounds like salt build up. ionic nutrients wont be the issue, ive been using them for years in recirculating systems without any issues. 

If you have added anything additional, i would look at it and make sure there are no organic ingredients in it, as these will block pipes.

Another option is to replace the dripper hoses if they have had a fair few outings. 

in that case, i would be looking at the pump.

i edited my last post to add more info, hope it helps

edit to add, the maxijet filter was bought of the bay, they dont come with it, sorry, but its like a fiver for 2 iirc

Edited by badbillybob

in that case, i would be looking at the pump.

i edited my last post to add more info, hope it helps

edit to add, the maxijet filter was bought of the bay, they dont come with it, sorry, but its like a fiver for 2 iirc

Cheers mate the pump seems fine i tried the maxijet 1000 that came with it and it had the same problems. It ran ok for the first week or so . Im guessing something must be clogging up the drip lines . As the flow through the 19mm is very strong and when it pish a pin into the dripper outlet the flow increasing dramatically then goes back to slow after a cycle or so. 

iwould change out the drip lines then mate, its got the be them thats the issue.

Are you using the blue drippers aye?

these are the ones for hydroton, but i presume you know that.

Yeah mate blue drippers. Order some more tubing so going to make drip rings i think. Will give it a good soak in the plant magic clean to clean the manifold and pumps out aswell. And will add the filter in when they arrive. Defo a clog because my drainage hole on one of the pots was a bit clogged this morning when ive just checked had nearly flooded doesnt seem to be lots of dust from the pebbles as they were rinsed and soaked in water before use

Edited by Matthew420
  • Like 1

if you are going to make dripper rings then do something like these, rather than the bit of hose with holes poked in it, because the one in the pic will not clog, i can pretty much guarantee, unlike the pokey holey hose ones. . good luck i hope you get it sorted. 

these are fed from 13mm i think hose to 4mm airline hose, via reducers, work a treat on maxijet

large.2.JPG

large.1.JPG

• Like 2

if you are going to make dripper rings then do something like these, rather than the bit of hose with holes poked in it, because the one in the pic will not clog, i can pretty much guarantee, unlike the pokey holey hose ones. . good luck i hope you get it sorted. 

these are fed from 13mm i think hose to 4mm airline hose, via reducers, work a treat on maxijet

large.2.JPG

large.1.JPG

Yeah looks nice mate yeah my idea was to use t piece and make it like that . Looks a smart setup bud. Yeah thanks for the help just wish i never had 9plants sitting in the pots lol total faff now trying to move everything. 

• Like 1

Will it be advised to drill some extra drainage hole under the pots as well to stop them getting backed up ? 

• Like 1

you could do, but the roots will just fill them and drop down into the res, which might also clog the pumpi cant understand why its backing up, the hydroton is normally allowing really free flowing of nutes through the pots

There was a lot of brown/black dusty residue on the base of the wilma and some black foam/rubber in the manifolds so im wondering if the root riot cube may to blame or possibly excess dust from the pebbles. Which if the case is amazing as the were rinsed for around 3 hours then sat in water for 48 hours