24hr/48hr/6 days of darkness before harvest? Whats your harvest ritual?

MindSoup

Well apparently plants have higher terpene levels at night, and lower sugar levels (this seems to be fairly well backed up). So I guess the idea is that by leaving it longer in darkness the effect will be greater.

Like I say I'm open to suggestions, I have always grown outdoors, where weather and access to plots often takes priority, so I've got nothing but an open mind when it comes to when and how to harvest. I'm not used to this level of control lol.

• Like 1

I watched a YouTube video on it a while back.

- 3 plants, same strain, same tent etc

- 24hr 48hr 72hr darkness

Ran samples of each through a testing unit. Highest potency was 72hr, then 48hr and finally 24hr.

Aside from that, seems popular from the stuff I've read. 

I dont have any personal evidence otherwise.

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

like a bluetooth hygrometer

There's loads of them about now. I picked one up for 15.99 but I've seen ones under a tenner since. We're spoilt nowadays. 

I

• Like 1

Just now, KC said:

There's loads of them about now. I picked one up for 15.99 but I've seen ones under a tenner since. We're spoilt nowadays. 

I

Funnily enough I dropped my one in my res and have just bought a new one, without Bluetooth. So ill wait till i somehow destroy this and upgrade. 

32 minutes ago, superfruit said:

I watched a YouTube video on it a while back.

- 3 plants, same strain, same tent etc

- 24hr 48hr 72hr darkness

Ran samples of each through a testing unit. Highest potency was 72hr, then 48hr and finally 24hr.

Aside from that, seems popular from the stuff I've read. 

I dont have any personal evidence otherwise.

Statistics vcan be made to suit any theory.......but unless it was buds from the same level of the same plant, and they took samples the same way for say 20 plants-  its hardly a legit comparison is it, 3 different plants of the same strain will give 3 different thc percentages anyway, no matter when they are chopped, wont they?

but if you're happy doing it, dont let me stop you ......      :)

• Like 3

@badbillybob yeah for sure, I'm with you on that. I dont have the means to test the theory, and there's arguments on both sides.

My thought is its not going to do any harm, and I dont mind waiting an extra 2 days to chop in the grand scheme of things. Maybe I won't bother after I'm more experienced - still very new at this.

• Like 1

While I have everyone's attention, could you be so kind as to check my diary and see if my girls seem ready to you? Id say yes, or at least very nearly, but like I say I'm new to this part. 

Hello @MindSoup I think the 48hr dark period was recommended to me by @brock1 for she X au. I did it on my little cupboard grow and stuff of potent as fuck now. I think the long slow cure also really helped this. 

Edited by growinggold

Ok so very much mixed opinions. I definitely want to try this out in a controlled test at some point, although it supposedly strain dependant so that could be hard. For now I cant really see it doing any harm. So I'll give them 24ish hrs from when the lights turn off tonight. I definitely get behind harvesting during lights off and this way I don't have to be chopping at 4am. 

Did try it once,,did 48hrs darkness with RVK running but did get some bud rot because of it.

Wasnt any better or tastier than if i had done just a normal early morning chop before the lights came on...as was with purple wreck which have grown many times.

So not saying dont try it just not worth getting rot for and extra 1% thc imo

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, m2jlv II said:

Did try it once,,did 48hrs darkness with RVK running but did get some bud rot because of it.

Wasnt any better or tastier than if i had done just a normal early morning chop before the lights came on...as was with purple wreck which have grown many times.

So not saying dont try it just not worth getting rot for and extra 1% thc imo

Thanks for the input, after years or outdoor growing I would definitely be pissed if I got mould. I think I'll do like I say and just keep them in the dark till I have time to harvest tomorrow which shouldn't be much more than 12hrs of darkness, although now I'm worried I'm chopping too early. Definitely thinking to much at the moment.

Edited by MindSoup

On 3/24/2021 at 10:55 AM, MindSoup said:

Definitely thinking to much at the moment.

Slow down then. Walk before you run. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Slow down then. Walk before you run. 

30 years on this earth I'm yet to figure that one out mate lol, had about a month between jobs so my brains been going over time on the most random shit, there's only so much Netflix a man can watch. Back at work now and with lockdown ending hopefully I'll be able to tone down the obsession/hyper focus. 

I did give them about 17-18 hrs of dark in the end, mainly so I didn't have to chop at 4 in the morning, who knows how they would have been if not, but I'll be maintaining the chop at night part at least, pretty much always have done outdoors as well, even if it's jist superstition..  

• Like 1