24hr/48hr/6 days of darkness before harvest? Whats your harvest ritual?

MindSoup

Seems to be a thing people do, can't quite find any proper side by side tests done to prove it one way or another. Has anyone found anything definitive? My harvest is imminent so I'm trying to decide what to do. 

It does make some theoretical sense. Terps are higher during the night phase, I think they're often a defence /repellent against bugs which are more active at night, so maybe a long period of darkness would make them even higher, and drop chlorophyll levels, but the later really shouldn't matter if you cure the buds right. 24/48hrs maybe but 6 days seems excessive.

Anyway keen to see what you all think or do. 

P.S. check my diary (2 girls 1 box led section) and see if you think my judgement is good. I'm a bit new to watching thrichomes.

Edited by MindSoup

Just now, MindSoup said:

Seems to be a thing people do

Does it?. Not many folk if they have much sense IMO

Ive never known anyone to do it

Owd

• Like 10

Not seen any side by side tests / any tests that could be used as proper evidence but a few big name growers out on that utube swear by it.
Personally do it myself mainly because of what I've watched / read on the webs

Edited by Mr.moon

Just now, Mr.moon said:

Not seen any side by side tests / any tests that could be used as proper evidence but a few big name growers out on that utube swear by it.
Personally do it myself mainly because of what I've watched / read on the webs

Yeah I've seen it a lot on the tube, but never any real proof. Do you do 24 48 or 6 mate?

They would start throwing out frankenstein veg growth on the bud . I have only heard of putting into darkness before flower to offset flowering quicker that works.

Just now, MindSoup said:

Yeah I've seen it a lot on the tube, but never any real proof. Do you do 24 48 or 6 mate?

normally 24 at a push as I get to keen to crack on with another grow (only have 1 tent which i use as the dark room)

now I have a separate veg tent I'll try 24 with one plant and 48 with the same strain / seed see if there's a noticeable difference 

Just now, Hempire Road said:

They would start throwing out frankenstein veg growth on the bud .

That's not something I've seen any evidence off tbh. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

That's not something I've seen any evidence off tbh. 

24 hrs light in flower ? Where and who has tried this?

Just now, Mr.moon said:

normally 24 at a push as I get to keen to crack on with another grow (only have 1 tent which i use as the dark room)

now I have a separate veg tent I'll try 24 with one plant and 48 with the same strain / seed see if there's a noticeable difference 

Yeah but would another 24hrs/48hrs/6 days with light be better, do you see what I mean? So give one the dark period and the other light, would have to be clones, and same rh and temps etc ideally.so possible quite hard to pull off. 

24/48hours of darkness before you harvest? tube - canucks diary

• Like 1

Who said anything about 24 hrs of light? 

• Like 2

Just now, MindSoup said:

Yeah but would another 24hrs/48hrs/6 days with light be better, do you see what I mean? So give one the dark period and the other light, would have to be clones, and same rh and temps etc ideally.so possible quite hard to pull off. 

oh I see, yeah to be able to actually get proper results would be very hard to replicate the exact same grow even side by side but would be possible and that would give some sort of result.
currently got a god berry I'll be taking clones from so will in a while will give it a go side by side I have steady humidity / temp within my grow space. 

Edited by Mr.moon

Just now, MindSoup said:

Who said anything about 24 hrs of light? 

Explain again . 6 days of darkness and....?

Yeah if I had the space I might try it myself. There's so many old wives tales in the world of cannabis cultivation, it makes me confused from time to time. 

• Like 1

Explain again . 6 days of darkness and....?

The idea is that when your grow is ready for harvest, switch lights off and leave the plants in complete darkness for 24-48 hours or as @MindSoup  has also added 6 days. then chop down and proceed to let the plants dry before trimming etc. 

It apparently improves trichomes and reduce the chlorophyll levels.

Edited by Mr.moon
  • Like 3