My new cab build.

murphyblue

Was going to wait till its finished but already got a shed load of pics and just had to resize them all. lol

Well i got this old steel  2 door cabinet it's been replaced with a new one and was destined for the scrappy as its battered the floor was rusting away also.

The first few days it spent life upside down as i made a wooden frame under the floor and then mounted it on a large piece of ply.

The start.

large.IMG_0590.JPGlarge.IMG_0594.JPGlarge.IMG_0595.JPGlarge.IMG_0596.JPGlarge.IMG_0597.JPGlarge.IMG_0599.JPGlarge.IMG_0600.JPG

I have just given it an exoskeleton to hold the insulation and the white board.

The cab is split into 4 the top shelf will hold my fan and filter and its where my power supply will come in so most of the electrics will be up top.

The small space under the veg cab will hold a small oil rad and its where the intake is so in theory i should be able to heat the air.

large.IMG_0597.JPGlarge.IMG_0598.JPGlarge.IMG_0605.JPGlarge.IMG_0606.JPGlarge.IMG_0607.JPG

I added a 120mm pc fan into the partition wall between the heat chamber and the flower chamber used strips of rubber to fix it tightly between the frame i knocked up.

large.IMG_0610.JPGlarge.IMG_0611.JPGlarge.IMG_0612.JPG

White board starting to go in.

large.IMG_0616.JPGlarge.IMG_0617.JPGlarge.IMG_0618.JPG

Came up with this to heat the floor of the veg cab.

large.IMG_0628.JPGlarge.IMG_0627.JPGlarge.IMG_0630.JPGlarge.IMG_0621.JPG

Started the hole drilling happy with the fan holes but the last pic is above flower chamber where fan and filter sit so might cut the wholes bigger for better airflow.

large.IMG_0631.JPGlarge.IMG_0630.JPG

Came up with this as a light baffle holes outside bottom front holes inside back top i removed the insulation i had cut and put spray booth filter in the cavity instead going to attach a pc fan where the holes are in the bottom pic and draw the air in up through the cavity will put a vent cover outside to tidy it up once i painted the thing.

I have just done some wiring for the pc fans 2 120mm fans and one small 70mm fan  connected to one charger via a few connectors they been running for a bit now and quiet i can actually hear the extraction fan downstairs over these and i'm sat right next to the box.

All the white board is now stuck in place i did screw a couple but it looked crap so cut more and stuck all but 2 in place with silicone and a load of wedges to hold them in place till the stuck.

I have still loads to do need pipe to bring in air to the veg chamber was thinking a u bend type construction up through the floor partition side and another u bend type construction through the ceiling outer wall side with the 70mm fan extracting the air into the top chamber for my fan and filter to deal with.

Also need to sort out the extraction hole and get a piece to go in there so i can attach my fan inside and  a foot long duct outside straight out the window.

When not in use as a grow room (landlord inspection) i have slightly smaller white board cover pieces and probably 30 years of cables and computer bits to fill it with. lol

In fact i think i will show the dude who comes next time that its a tool box come storage box he wont look twice at it again. lol

• Like 14

Gotta love a ground up build. That white liner looks great, I'm torn between matt white paint and diamond mylar for my cabinets. I think I'll do both. Have you seen the secret jardin light baffle disc? It's a 1" pest proof disc with 4x layers of louvres at opposing 45 degree angles so maximum air, zero light. Not sure how tight security is at yours, I've got curious pre teen boys and the occasional policeman/woman to prevent and light and smells from emanating from my cab. lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Gotta love a ground up build. That white liner looks great, I'm torn between matt white paint and diamond mylar for my cabinets. I think I'll do both. Have you seen the secret jardin light baffle disc? It's a 1" pest proof disc with 4x layers of louvres at opposing 45 degree angles so maximum air, zero light. Not sure how tight security is at yours, I've got curious pre teen boys and the occasional policeman/woman to prevent and light and smells from emanating from my cab. lol

I did see them light baffle vents and was tempted but then i thought when this is not in use as a grow box its got to look like a crappy old paint cabinet from the outside.

So i'm looking at getting cheap metal vent covers and paint them when i paint the outside i hope my little staggered design for the intake should be light proof and as i'm sucking air in cant see any smell leaking there.

My main problem is going to light proof the front i have got to buy some proper 2x1 to put a 2 inch framework all around the front of each section which is slightly set back from the main doors this will hopefully help me light proof and leave the doors just as doors.

As i been banished to the mancave cos mrs reckons i will jinx the egg chasers i been working on air in and out of the veg cab.

I think i sussed it made a couple of bits that should let air in/out without leaking light air in will be via the floor with a series of holes will  fix the box underneath to block the light.

Same thing through the ceiling of the veg chamber into the top shelf but will get another 120mm pc fan and put on top shelf extracting the air out of veg chamber so that's another £6 i hate spending money. lol

The boxes are drying at the moment as i just sealed them using decorators caulk they will get a quick rub down in morning and sprayed matt black inside i did this on the inside of the intake white board.

So far apart from time the box has cost me £12 for the 2 pc fans i used what most people would call scrap wood knowing it was going to get covered even had the white board for nothing and got plenty left.

Will try and do an update soon but i have to spend money on timber vents covers etc. so might be a week or so.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Crow River said:

Looking good. What's that white board you're using?

Not sure to be honest there was/is a load of it in work i think it was used for making templates etc it did come in very large sheets judging by some of the pieces.

It's only about a quarter inch thick at most and it doesnt really have a shiney side more i diffused white.

I'm sure u can get something all be it smaller sheets from builders merchants etc. its used in bathrooms as a cladding i think.

• Like 1

Today i have been mainly been wiring and testing the fans with them in place.

I have also been messing around with a big fuck off torch in a dark room. lol

Made a couple of half boxes as light baffles installed the one under the veg cab and according to big torch no light leaks lol its also picking up air from the intake fan can feel a breeze from holes in floor of veg chamber.

Boxes.

large.IMG_0632.JPGlarge.IMG_0633.JPG

Veg intake in floor of chamber.

large.IMG_0635.JPG

Intake fan and partition fan all ready for test run.

large.IMG_0637.JPG

Running the cable up through the chamber.

large.IMG_0639.JPGlarge.IMG_0640.JPG

The other box will sit over the holes in last pic not installed it yet as want to run light cable.

And the test run.

large.IMG_0641.JPG

Testing went well on the fans left them running about 3 hours barely audible with the doors semi shut (extension cable going in) charger not even warm.

Light leak testing also went well.

Before i installed the intake fan i used a torch tight against the holes and no light showing outside then reversed it and shown torch tight and at different angles and no light showing inside so well happy.

Did the same with the veg intake sat the torch on top and no light below.

I should be getting the 2x1 to finish the front framework sometime in the week.

Then the one thing i been dreading and that's cutting the extraction hole at the top got a 4" fan but want to go bigger and pad the hole help stop vibration and noise.

So as i dont own one and i want accuracy i need to buy a metal hole saw set they are quite cheap to be fair but as i said i hate spending money. lol

Stuff i do have ready to go in.

Inkbird temp controller and heat mat for floor of flower chamber.

A 700w small oil rad to sit under veg chamber.

I have a cheap 4" extraction fan not to bad when i turn it down using the 5 step controller i have.

A cheap £20 4" fox filter.

The one good thing i have is a 75watt v2 strip from diyled for the flower chamber.

Also got a cheap bozily light i foolishly bought when starting out so that's going in the flower cab also until i can afford and be able to source another v2 strip.

Another foolishly bought item was some big led light bulbs which will get utilized for the veg chamber until i can upgrade them to a small veg board.

I do want to upgrade the fan and filter at some point would like to put in one of the 4" ac infinity fan and filter but it will be when money allows.

Should be ok for a while as i have no plans to flower anything yet both sides gonna be used to get my outdoor seeds going so i got to put a shift on. lol

• Like 3

When funds allow, the Cloudline T6 would be a silent option, as you's only run it on speeds 1-2. It would also make all the PC fans redundant as it drags air through the chambers. T4 might work but you'll need to run that at speeds 4-6 which woulb be a noticeable sound. 

• Like 2

Lovely build mate, can't beat building them yourself.

- as @Slippy One suggests a AC infinity fan would be a solid choice when funds allow:yep:

I'll be getting a T4 for my veg cabinet on Friday and a T8 next month for the flower tent, do think they are the best value for money for extraction equipment on the market at the moment. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion @Slippy One  i just checked the dimensions and the T6 will just fit.

It will have to wait till outdoor harvest though when i don't have to buy any.

As for time being i will use the fan i have and use sound deadening material and slow it down using the controller it don't need to shift a lot of air as its just for my outdoor seedlings.

So i have a goal the first oz i dont have to buy i'm getting a T6. lol

Right back to it i have been rather busy on the old box.

I have put in some little pieces of white board here and there that would have annoyed me if i didn't. lol

I have also drilled countersunk and screwed in place the front framework that gives me a chance of light proofing the front of it.

Pics.

large.IMG_0650.JPGlarge.IMG_0651.JPGlarge.IMG_0652.JPGlarge.IMG_0653.JPGlarge.IMG_0654.JPG

I stripped out the fans ready to clean and seal it up.

I also cut out larger sections of the top shelf so i know have 2 large slots above flower chamber where the fan and filter will be.

large.IMG_0655.JPG

Now u see me now u don't i botched a hole in the side for the extraction and the cover piece in place when needed cut smaller and easy slips out yet the front framework conceals this.

large.IMG_0657.JPGlarge.IMG_0656.JPG

I really need to get into work as there's everything i need there sound deadening stuff and i'm sure there's some proper industrial metal 4 inch ducting also and a short piece will be ideal.

As for light proofing the front was thinking of using more white board to be honest as i have plenty i will try and work something out tomorrow once i have cleaned and sealed.

• Like 4

@murphyblue. if you want an easy door design, just build a loose fitting lightweight frame to slot in, line it with some of your white sheets (or cardboard like me). and use velcro to attach some overlapping plastic sheeting if you have any. With the negative pressure, the plastic sheet should be held in place with the vacuum, if that makes sense. The velcro just holds it secure. Maybe my bookshelf idea will also appeal. A secret room within a room!! lol 

This was my Fritzle chambre from a few years back: Check page 2 for the door hatch.

Highly recommend a bookshelf for stealth. You could even put it on big  hinges to make the bookshelf the door! :yep:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slippy One said:

@murphyblue. if you want an easy door design, just build a loose fitting lightweight frame to slot in, line it with some of your white sheets (or cardboard like me). and use velcro to attach some overlapping plastic sheeting if you have any. With the negative pressure, the plastic sheet should be held in place with the vacuum, if that makes sense. The velcro just holds it secure. Maybe my bookshelf idea will also appeal. A secret room within a room!! lol 

This was my Fritzle chambre from a few years back: Check page 2 for the door hatch.

Highly recommend a bookshelf for stealth. You could even put it on big  hinges to make the bookshelf the door! :yep:

Mate that room is brilliant and if i owned the house would defo go for something like that.

I see u used solid plastic ducting was it quieter than the flexi ?

I spotted it the other night while browsing the river site pretty cheap as well plus it would look so much better.

Was going to check out a couple of potential plots today but think ill ask my mate to nip to the yard so i can pick a few bits up.

I do have an idea on how to do the front if i got time later will try it out see if it works.

While browsing the river site i did find 1000W led board everybody knows that's bolloxs in reality think it was 100w but it did come with a dimmer.

More importantly it will fit in the veg chamber which is small and was cheap at about £70.

I do hope though i can get my hands on another scope v2 strip for the flower chamber i think 150 proper watts will be perfect in there.

The box itself has passed its first test wont say much but someone who needed to see it as a computer/tool storage cupboard saw it as just that even remarked how tidy it was. lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Sorry murph but what's "the river site"? 

Name sake of the largest river on the planet, flows straight into Jeff Bezos pockets.

:skin_up:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Sorry murph but what's "the river site"? 

There was once a large rainforest there also.

It's just a way of saying it without saying it ned. lol

• Like 2