Curing - is it worth the wait? Hell yeah!

Bayleaf

Just now, fatboy77 said:

Bovida packs are for fuck ups and rescue missions only. 

You can now get a terp protector bovida for that very problem. 

But again, do things properly and you won't need them. 

Well that saves a few quid then, thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, Kush Lover said:

Has anyone else found that the Boveda packs rob aroma? I was looking at getting some for the first time but curing is an area I am improving so don't want something to hinder my progress.

That's quite an interesting point, I would of thought with vaping that the cure would enhance the flavour as well. Was it just the clouds or the taste as well?

I don't know if they remove terpenes, but the benefits of a stable environment outweigh any terp loss. Terps won't last forever, but my old jars still smell great, you won't regret the expense of them, for piece of mind and less chance of the dreaded musty smell in 6 months..just get the biggest packs you can afford. I use 2 67g packs in a 3L parfait jar, total overkill but I figure they work more efficienctly in pairs. :yep:

And first vape of 12 day dried buds is most likely clouds of moisture, but loads of flavours nonetheless. I wonder if any other vapsters enjoy test vapes the same way? 

:guitar:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SYZYGY said:

Most vars with fruity profiles are best enjoyed sooner IMO if you want the vibrant fruit taste (within 2 months say), before the body of the flavour starts to take over

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :yep: 

6 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

Bovida packs are for fuck ups and rescue missions only.

And this^^^^^^^^^My thoughts exactly. Never used anything like that in over 25 years of drying bud

Owd

• Like 8

Just now, Slippy One said:

I don't know if they remove terpenes, but the benefits of a stable environment outweigh any terp loss. Terps won't last forever, but my old jars still smell great, you won't regret the expense of them, for piece of mind and less chance of the dreaded musty smell in 6 months..just get the biggest packs you can afford. I use 2 67g packs in a 3L parfait jar, total overkill but I figure they work more efficienctly in pairs. :yep:

And first vape of 12 day dried buds is most likely clouds of moisture, but loads of flavours nonetheless. I wonder if any other vapsters enjoy test vapes the same way? 

:guitar:

Thanks @Slippy One I will keep it in mind, still have a few days before I jar up so will make my mind up today!

I just love how smooth a smoke is after a long cure, for me my Xmas buds need to be chosen and packed away but June.

i jar mine and burp everyday for a few weeks, then i start vaping it and i see the difference as it cures over the weeks and months, stops tolerance

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Owderb said:

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :yep: 

And this^^^^^^^^^My thoughts exactly. Never used anything like that in over 25 years of drying bud

Owd

They sound quite gimmicky then. They keep popping up in growing videos so I thought I was missing something but your 25 years of experience is enough for me!

2 hours ago, KC said:

Once mine is dry

how long on average does it take to dry enough for you to vac-pak it 

I agree that humidity packs aren't necessary from properly grown, dried flower, but they eliminated a problem I had where a few big jars would get a musky odour after 6-9 months. To me they're piece of mind after a month of burping that long forgotten jars are still as fresh as they can be from 1 year and beyond. This is especially true for my outdoor crops. My rare indoor crops never last long enough to get a cure. :yep:

• Like 1

@mysticriver My weed hangs for at least 2 weeks, it's probably more like 4 really. I'm really lazy and i do perpetual growing so there's usually a good backlog of things to trim up. The one exception was last year, we had stupidly high humidity and the weed was taking weeks before it was even smokable never mind being able to bag it.

For normal conditions i'd say 14days when left on the plant. I dry in an open fronted cupboard that has a 125L1 intaking into my loft so there is quite a bit of air movement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KC said:

@mysticriver My weed hangs for at least 2 weeks, it's probably more like 4 really. I'm really lazy and i do perpetual growing so there's usually a good backlog of things to trim up. The one exception was last year, we had stupidly high humidity and the weed was taking weeks before it was even smokable never mind being able to bag it.

For normal conditions i'd say 14days when left on the plant. I dry in an open fronted cupboard that has a 125L1 intaking into my loft so there is quite a bit of air movement.

thanks. im going to build a simple cardboard box that has a run of extraction to the g. tent (an idea from here) and do it that way, as ive no other way really.

but I wasn't sure of how long it took.

• Like 1

I'm just using jars. Put an hygrometer in one and have a look. When it comes under 60%, I put a bit of damp paper towel in (but not in contact with the weed) and wait for the RH to rise somewhere between 60 and 65%. When I take some weed, I put the hygrometer in another jar to check it. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, purepotstill said:

When it comes under 60%, I put a bit of damp paper towel in (but not in contact with the weed) and wait for the RH to rise somewhere between 60 and 65

Why? 

3 hours ago, fatboy77 said:

Why? 

Because I'm a noob, still learning and read everywhere curing is done between 60 and 65% RH. :blushing:

And as I'm vaping my weed, I like this RH level, gives some lovely clouds with my VapCaps.

• Like 1

I have dozens of those disc hygrometers, none of them give the same reading. Don’t be a noob, stop with your damp towels, noob is no excuse!

Well, my weed is up to my taste this way. I'm using the same wireless hygrometer than in my tent. Why should I stop ? (real question, seems OK to me to do this). I've done this when I had slightly overdried my buds. RH is stable now into the jars, it doesn't move at all.