Cleaning the Mighty

Arnold Layne

Just now, Slippy One said:

Yeah, we were too dumb to know that it's the same as tape head cleaner, which came in tiny little bottles to clean cassette heads. Oh the 90's... 

Erm no we knew that from studios lol very good at cleaning white powered residues from inside mixing consoles lol ah the good old days 

Edited by Arthur Mix
Spell
  • Like 1

So thinking about buying the Crafty+ similar to the mighty so thought i would post here !

Thing is i want to take this abroad with me on occasions but do you guys think i would be able to clean a Crafty+ well enough that it would pass a customs inspection, i brought a used grinder back from Bulgaria once and thank god i washed and cleaned it because customs were all over it like a rash, taking it apart and sniffing it, turned out ok but i wouldn't like to travel with any herb or residue in a Vaporizer, so would it be possible to clean it well enough ?

Also the other vape in the running was the solo 2, but which is the best portable out of these 2, if you have any other recommendations for other top quality portables that would be great, i want to buy once and buy well so i'm willing to shell out a up to £400 if the vape warrants it.

oh yeah eventually i want to be able to hook it up to a water rig, not sure if that possible with most portables or not tbh ? ?

Thanks in advance :spliff:

Just now, photobat said:

Thing is i want to take this abroad with me on occasions but do you guys think i would be able to clean a Crafty+ well enough that it would pass a customs inspection

I can help with this part of your question mate. There are only two parts of the mighty / crafty that get moosed with goop, the cooling chamber that sits on top and the chamber.  If you keep a spare cooling chamber and only use the dosing capsules (as opposed to direct load) there shouldn't be any issues getting past customs.  Tbh a dunk in ipa would prob clean the chamber well enough, but if you wanted to be 100%, just keep a spare.

• Like 1

i have cleaned my mighty twice now with just iso and water rinse, they were not sticky at all after and lovely and clean, bud becomes tasty again!

i probably use it 5-6 times a night so could do with cleaning it more often but can't see the point in getting anything else on top of the above?

• Like 1
Just now, unity said:

I can help with this part of your question mate. There are only two parts of the mighty / crafty that get moosed with goop, the cooling chamber that sits on top and the chamber.  If you keep a spare cooling chamber and only use the dosing capsules (as opposed to direct load) there shouldn't be any issues getting past customs.  Tbh a dunk in ipa would prob clean the chamber well enough, but if you wanted to be 100%, just keep a spare.

Thanks @unity, yeah i will get a spare, i see they do a metal one but not sure if they are worth the extra bucks.

This IPA i guess that's alcohol not real ale lol, is that isopropanol ? can i get that in a supermarket or where ?

Thanks for the reply :)

• Like 1
Just now, photobat said:

Anyone hooked a might or crafty upto a water rig, any good ?

Yes I either a whip and elbow adaptor or mainly adaptor for the mighty both ways I use capsules. 

• Like 1
Just now, Arthur Mix said:

Yes I either a whip and elbow adaptor or mainly adaptor for the mighty both ways I use capsules. 

I've never had vape or water rig (if that's what they are called) before so please excuse my ignorance, please correct me if i've got it all wrong but i guess a elbow adaptor is a 90 degree bend ? and a whip is useful to connect the vape to the rig without having a hard fragile connection.

I like the thought of using the capsules, does it all work well when attached to a rig, any rig suggestion would be great or are they all much the same !!

many thanks

I would go for the larger female jointed glass bongs tbh , female is like it sounds the male joint which is the mighty adaptor then inserts in the female. My pref size is 18/19 mm ones.  You are correct about the whip. Or your mighty is old I would use the whip as the adaptor for the mighty can be bit to Snug , causing the case to slightly open at joins .I prefer using glass and water with mighty nowadays .. as for glass vapefiend does the honey bubblers or check dhgate and wait. 

Edited by Arthur Mix
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 10:22 AM, Slippy One said:

That's how I do it, take all the bits off, including the rubber seals, soak 5 mins in my very brown-looking ISO tub, quick cotton bud in around the manky bit behind the screen, then into hot soapy water for a jiggle, then somewhere warm over night to dry off. Everything gets sticky except for the holographic bit on top, so can't think of any easier way, not sure ultrasonic cleaning would be any better. 

This cooling unit needs a redesign. That holographic clip on top needs to go for a start, what a faff getting that on or off, must be awful with Parkinson's. Should use less parts.

Reminds me of that expensive metal credit card sized pipe with cooling tubes in the 90's (anyone remember this), mostly a gimmick, almost impossible to clean like a normal pipe. 

First drag after a decent clean is always tainted with a hint of ISO/washing up liquid. lol

OK rant mode: off. The rest of the Carfty/Mighty experience is pure bliss, just the cleaning that gets me down... 

I think your talking about the silver palm leaf. 

• 1 year later...

I recently borrowed one off a friend who is into gold plating. Dunno the brand or any specifics, just that it's an ultrasonic bath with a basket.

Water doesn't clean the cooling unit. Water and soap don't clean the cooling unit either and unfortunately filling the bath with ISO is a bit expensive and wasteful.

Cut the bottom off of a drink bottle, not too big and fill it with ISO, put all the components of the cooling unit (bands included but removed) into the little bottle piece with ISO and submerge that bottle piece into the water bath. (Had to put something heavy in it to keep it submerged, alcohol is lighter than water)

I ran, 4X 480sec cycles and all I had to do afterwards is shake the piece off, before just drying it. It was spotless.

Oils from the cooling unit will dissolve in the ISO and you won't have wasted a load of it + staining the ultrasonic bath. 

• Like 1

@DreamCatcher I have a coffee jar which I keep maybe a third full of iso.  I've used the same jar of iso to clean my vape parts now for ages, with the lid kept on it won't evaporate so you can keep re-using it. there will come a time it needs replacing, but you can get away with a decent amount of reusage).  Take the mighty cooling chamber (or any vape part) apart and drop in iso, let it soak a while then go at it with a (spare) toothbrush dippoed in the iso.  Cotton buds are nice for any nooks and crannies.  This sounds a tad easier than what your doing, or maybe it might be helpful to someone.

No point trying to clean anything with water, it won't do squat.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, unity said:

No point trying to clean anything with water, it won't do squat.

Completely agree, i made a second bath inside the first bath out of a plastic bottle and filled that with ISO, so ultrasonic cleaner has a basin full of water, in that basin theres a cup full of ISO (reusable), in that cup ive got all the parts.
4 cycles at 480 seconds removed everything to the point where all i needed to do is assemble it. I have 3 cooling units and it took me longer to disassemble and reassemble than waiting for the parts to be cleaned. 

I am definitely buying one.. 

Edited by DreamCatcher
  • Like 1