Cleaning the Mighty

Arnold Layne

At the moment I strip down and clean the cooling units on my "Mighty's" after about 5 -8 runs. Using Iso.

But have heard good reports from folks using sonic cleaning devices. Anyone else hereabouts tried this method? If so, how did it go, which kit did you use and how much was it?

• Like 3

+1 Had a look at the little ones on the bay for my Sai and Dyna bits and bobs.

I did do some reading on F.C, there are some threads on there but I think they're mainly American.

Hopefully some one on here might have some experience, some small ones are pretty reasonable priced but only if they work.

Following along, cheers

:oldtoker:

Just ordered one, it was only £45 for a 3 litre unit.

It as recommended to me by an old UK420 member, who keeps his glass wear in immaculate shape with it. So I have to imagine a few dosing pots and a cooling unit or two shouldn't be too challenging for it. But we will see what we will see....

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Just ordered one, it was only £45 for a 3 litre unit.

It as recommended to me by an old UK420 member, who keeps his glass wear in immaculate shape with it. So I have to imagine a few dosing pots and a cooling unit or two shouldn't be too challenging for it. But we will see what we will see....

Once you've received, could you come back here and drop a review?  Would be well up for getting one if they are worthy

• Like 4

Let us know how you get on. I've got 4 coolers and gets tiresome cleaning them every few days. I'm getting vape lung trying to puff through tar filled screens.. lol 

I've used an ultrasonic cleaner for my Mighty and other vapes for years.  For the Mighty, just split the cooling unit and drop in a jar of isopropanol, give a shake and soak for half an hour.  Then put some warm water and a drop of washing up liquid in your ultrasonic cleaner (mines a small unit for jewellery) and switch on for a couple of minutes then turn and repeat.  The screens last ages using this method.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Update:

1st, sorry this is slow in the posting. You'll get used to it, its a Parkie thing, slowness. Like being submerged in cold treacle ..... Anyhoooo....

1st Experiment ~ used just water. Items: cooling units x 2, c.25 Dosing pots. Conclusion: After a thirty-minute session, the cooling units were a sticky mess and the pots likewise. A further thirty-minute session failed to make any improvement. This I expected, to be fair. I did it as a form of control, a base against which to compare further experiments in the future.

2nd Experiment ~ water at 75 degrees C, with a small drop of washing up liquid. Same load. Conclusion as per the first experiment.

3rd Experiment ~ Items pre-rinsed for 5 minutes in ISO, then treated as per Experiment 2. Conclusion: A very effective clean. Items were returned in pristine condition, much cleaner than a mere soak in ISO would have produced, and there was not even a hint of stickiness to them either.

The next step will be to order up some proper cleaning fluid designed for use in a sonic cleaner and see if this speeds up the operation, and cuts out the ISO rinse stage.

Skin a few, put the kettle on and your feet up. I'll be back, but I ain't hurrying...... I'm fuelled by Weed, not Speed!

• Like 8

That's how I do it, take all the bits off, including the rubber seals, soak 5 mins in my very brown-looking ISO tub, quick cotton bud in around the manky bit behind the screen, then into hot soapy water for a jiggle, then somewhere warm over night to dry off. Everything gets sticky except for the holographic bit on top, so can't think of any easier way, not sure ultrasonic cleaning would be any better. 

This cooling unit needs a redesign. That holographic clip on top needs to go for a start, what a faff getting that on or off, must be awful with Parkinson's. Should use less parts.

Reminds me of that expensive metal credit card sized pipe with cooling tubes in the 90's (anyone remember this), mostly a gimmick, almost impossible to clean like a normal pipe. 

First drag after a decent clean is always tainted with a hint of ISO/washing up liquid. lol

OK rant mode: off. The rest of the Carfty/Mighty experience is pure bliss, just the cleaning that gets me down... 

Just now, Slippy One said:

This cooling unit needs a redesign. That holographic clip on top needs to go for a start, what a faff getting that on or off, must be awful with Parkinson's. Should use less parts.

Reminds me of that expensive metal credit card sized pipe with cooling tubes in the 90's (anyone remember this), mostly a gimmick, almost impossible to clean like a normal pipe. 

the cooling unit hologram do you mean remove the hologram , or the push down button ? I’ve never removed the sticker , I push the button down when the units still warm . That means the sticky oil is thinner and less sticky and is easier to remove warm than cold .

the credit card pipes I love them so much easier to clean . I soak in iso and use a cotton bud , easier than a normal pipe imho .

• Like 1

By the hologram sticker, I mean the whole top clip. The mechanism of pull then lift on one side doesn't feel inspired to me. Few times I've struggled and thought to myself 'this isn't very German' lol It's a very minor gripe, but I feel it's the result in over engineering something. 

As for the credit card pipe, it was pure genius, especially if worn as a necklace, but nobody had ISO back then, a nightmare of boiling water and dish soap.. most wooden pipes just needed a coat hanger to clean. :D

Yeah, we were too dumb to know that it's the same as tape head cleaner, which came in tiny little bottles to clean cassette heads. Oh the 90's...