Experimental RDWC

zen-ken

@badbillybob 

after a long discussion with a yank friend he has suggested an approach I hadn’t considered b4

His suggestion was to use bennies (hydro guard) and maintain a 25 -26 Celsius water temperature.

he assured me as long as the water temperature stayed here and the bennies are fresh, root issues won’t occur as the bennies out compete the baddies.

He says due to my hyper aeration, DO at this increased temperature would still be acceptable and he reckons I can add a considerable amount of weight this way.

im intrigued to say the least and old Bruce Bugbee suggests the same tbf

:skin_up:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 2

good luck with that Ken.

Call me a cynical bastard, but if it was that easy everyone would have done it. i imagine its going to be as difficult to maintain 25-26 as it would be to chill them.

i know that keeping up the flow rate and high aereation can help ward off root issues,  and Heath Robinson never used a chiller, relying on high through flow rates,  but a niggling doubt tells me that if it was that easy everyone would be doing it and chiller sales would be a thing of the past.

if you decide to go with it hit me upmate, id like to see how it goes, but after my last outing with bennies it will be while before i have another ....

• Like 3

Just now, QQ710 said:

U2

I've been in trim jail - been a great day :) 

I’m looking forward to my time in trim jail.....been waaaaaaayyyyyy too long since I had some lovely scissor/finger hash 

• Like 1

I do have a 300w aquarium heater....I may not get to it this run unless I can get a new bottle of hydro guard (new as in just produced) but if I do the teabags are coming back out :skin_up:

• Like 1

Ol' Bruce Bugbee and Kens yank pal are suggesting it!

@zen-ken intrigued!

@badbillybob and @stu914 are keen to see how it goes!

I'll give it a go and report back here if you guys think a newbe can cope with it.

My room has been holding temps and RH well, water temps are a consistent 20'C with a heater and chiller.

I have a fresh batch of girls going in to the bloom cupboard next weekend, they're already 1 week on 12/12 in the small cupboard, so from next week it'll be a 7-8 week project. Apart from an El Chapo mum and a Tangie Kosher in the mix I'm not that excited so don't mind risking it next grow!

Unless, of course, this was what you had planned Ken, in which case I'll piss off back under my rock and watch how you get on :) (if not I have many questions).

1 random out of context question please guys -

what percentage of weight do you expect to drop from wet fresh cut bud to dry, smokable bud?

(Is there an accurate number or does it vary a lot?)

• Like 1

Tbf @QQ710 I would hate for u to have a grow ruined by my ramblings and put this post up as I love discussing anything DWC with u guys. 
I have never used hydro guard or a protective Bennie in this manner and this is going to rely heavily on getting fresh and stable products. 

however.... I have run my prop water at 25 Celsius (sterile) as it’s an aero prop and figured DO to be irrelevant as they have all the access to oxygen they need and it was successful.

With the new lid and six net pot holes I can now get the 15cm nets in.....I have yet to test run her, but I’m confident she can do the job.

With the addition of the migro veg back in the prop I’m hoping to achieve a greater veg time in the prop b4 transferring.....I could try it out here so if it fucks up, we will know and I won’t feel guilty about giving bad advice.

billy is my sense....he reminds me when I’m about to do something stupid, hence why I tagged him lol 

I have done the vanilla frosting b4....but they were regs and these are fems.

Any evidence therefore will be pure anecdotal.

As for fresh to dry the general consensus is 75% total weight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, badbillybob said:

good luck with that Ken.

Call me a cynical bastard, but if it was that easy everyone would have done it. i imagine its going to be as difficult to maintain 25-26 as it would be to chill them.

i know that keeping up the flow rate and high aereation can help ward off root issues,  and Heath Robinson never used a chiller, relying on high through flow rates,  but a niggling doubt tells me that if it was that easy everyone would be doing it and chiller sales would be a thing of the past.

if you decide to go with it hit me upmate, id like to see how it goes, but after my last outing with bennies it will be while before i have another ....

Wise words brother.....I’ve just considered the fact I would need the air pumps to be in a good heat space as well and the headfuck the heating would be.

I can however, see how with the right beneficials I could never see that brown shite on my roots again....instead of trying to stop it, just give in and let something outcompete it.

• Like 1

i think im prejudiced againt beneficials, probably after my recent TNC Mycorr hydro experience.

i probably need to do some more reading/ studying of them to be fair, because its been shown to work.

And ive a huge respect for Bugbee's research, and am fairly sure he wouldnt advocate it if it didnt work. 

i just take the "easier"  ** option when its available

** = you might not think i take this, to look at some of my recent hydro disasters in the past 6 months, but the theory is good  :)

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 2

I feel u @badbillybob 

I still can’t get rid of the free shite I was given that I used as a dip.....it’s making one of girls look like it has a touch of the brown algae....but they’re firm and no smell coming from the one twat of a girl in the middle....the one that nitrogen fixed.

I’ve just looked on that grow tweed easy site and she has had results with this technique in DWC at the higher temperatures.

ive seen videos on the tube of commercial grows using bennies....maybe the key was the sod didn’t say his water temperature was up ?? 

Edited by zen-ken

how do they look?

im reading a few  posts on other sites and they are pretty full on recommending bennies,

hmmmm, have you ever used any teas Ken? Heisenberg teas etc? 

if so what was the verdict?

• Like 1