Top feed watering system, run to waste. (run off trays)

twoscoops

Just got the Grundfos Conlift pump the other day.
The plan is to sit this in a medium sized plastic tub where my run off pipes will feed into. When the run off reaches a certain height the float switch underneath the pump will engage, switch the pump on and dump the waste run off out.

(I’ve seen this pump used by another member and it looked a great idea for run off)

Wired & tested the pump in the kitchen sink and the water hit the ceiling so test passed :rofl:.

Water , water , everywhere :doh:.

large.197A54F7-9632-4C00-BBBC-41AD2EC7A258.jpeg

Grundfos Conlift 1LS 

large.FD8EA1AD-2A0B-447C-963E-1F327D263EBE.jpeg

Grundfos Conlift 1LS (bottom cover off)

large.2FFC16C3-B1CB-4E1A-9178-3CD4FBC2EDC1.jpeg

Medusa Booster Baseline Trays:

large.2A988B9E-1942-49E1-83E5-797EF7871432.jpeg

:upside:

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I’ve been testing the build and it’s working really well :guitar:.

A few pics of the set up :

large.8D11B12F-0921-4F3E-B255-D0135AF66644.jpeg

large.BC7893B6-0DF8-4A27-98FD-83AE7C49AE3F.jpeg

large.3863863D-9DCC-43CE-8211-B8513514124F.jpeg

large.9543E20B-F9EA-4717-9160-68C68E0880FB.jpeg

Cheers :cheers:

Edited by twoscoops
Spelling
  • Like 9

Got to love the medusa trays they work so well I couldn’t be with out them now, I do sometimes wish they made smaller ones so i could do more than 4 plants in a 1.2 tent say when I’m doing regs and have more than 4 females to play with.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, kronic420 said:

Got to love the medusa trays they work so well I couldn’t be with out them now, I do sometimes wish they made smaller ones so i could do more than 4 plants in a 1.2 tent say when I’m doing regs and have more than 4 females to play with.

Dont they do a small tray? Pretty sure you could get 9 of them in a 1.2 x 1.2 

• Like 2

@GSZZ just had a look and they now do a mini version 35x37cm when I last looked and the ones I brought were the smallest size they did and they come in at 39x43cm so a tad to big.

• Like 1

For flexibility, check out Danish Hydro Trays, many sizes and can be tapped like the Medusa's and are designed to be lengthened or shortened using glue and a circular saw. :yep:

• Like 1

@Slippy One that’s something I’ve been looking at as well , didn’t realise you could cut them to size though , I’m in the loft and have been limited to what I can fit through the loft hatch.

• Like 1

Just now, kronic420 said:

@Slippy One that’s something I’ve been looking at as well , didn’t realise you could cut them to size though , I’m in the loft and have been limited to what I can fit through the loft hatch.

They have an overlap at each end in the 3D printed design. That way they can extend or reduce lengths and rthe overlap seam becomes a cap. Hope this makes sense. These guys can be put onto sloping tables and 100m lengths. Made for commercial growers. Perfect for small cabinets too. :yep:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

For flexibility, check out Danish Hydro Trays, many sizes and can be tapped like the Medusa's and are designed to be lengthened or shortened using glue and a circular saw. :yep:

Hmm... I saw those years ago but they weren't really available in the UK, a quick google suggests that has changed I wonder who is wholesaling them now lol

Its actually not a surprise, those kind of hydro-adapted long greenhouse trays/rolling benches/racking have been popular in the US for a hot minute now but not so much over here, I wondered when UK wholesalers would jump onto it and here we are - you can get Botanicare trays and tables in the UK now, and Idrolab trays/tables and tiered racking systems - I just thought too, there was that huge bust in scunthrope, they were using pallet racking for single tiered cultivation like what we're talking about lol

For those with limited headrooms you can get the danish hydro trays/botanicare/idralab trays and use aluminium box channel with push fit connectors to make low profile supports - just high enough for the pipe to elbow out of the tray - you can buy it online pre-cut to size!

• Like 3

@GSZZ @Slippy One I’d love to have one big tray/drain table that fit perfectly in a 1.2 tent , less plumbing to worry about and could change up plant numbers every grow at ease with no messing about. I did think about trying to make something out of one of them flexi trays but not had my hands on one so don’t know how flexi they actually are.
Are these danish trays pretty solid or do they flex a lot so need a “table top” support as such ?

At best id need two trays as the loft hatch limits my size. 

@kronic420

I can't comment on the Danish trays as I have genuinely never had my hands on them. Flexi trays are way, way, way too flexiable you can fold them up so you won't be able to raise them up off the floor or plumb anything in to them.

Garland trays are good, nice and solid but they do have a bit of flex in the bottom so they do need a bit of support in the middle and not just around the edges or they sag, and if you're plumbing anything in it starts limiting your options for placing plants on the tray.

If you're going up into a loft, garland do a couple of narrow trays which are something like 110 x 55 cm and one just a touch smaller. It might 110 x 45cm. There are also those gully things that growers used to use with rockwool or coir slabs, you might be able to do something with those?