Top feed watering system, run to waste. (run off trays)

twoscoops

Good afternoon,

I’m after making a run to waste top fed system but just need to make sure I’m buying the right parts etc, 

Please feel free to chip in any help is greatly appreciated :) .

So to start with I will need 9 run off trays for the pots to stand on, Ive seen various makes( Iws, Medusa, Rta) but not sure which is best to buy).

I have a small reservoir already, what pump make and power will I need to create enough flow / pressure for the feed ring ?

Do I need a really powerful pump ?

Im planning on using a Time R digital timer to control the feed durations.

What size Iceline pipe what I be better using from the feed pump to the pressure ring ?

From this pressure ring how do you tee off to each individual pot and what size pipe for that ?

For the top feed method would I better using a ring around the plant or a steak ?

With the run off trays what size piping would be best for that 19mm ?,

I’m going to order a Grundfos conlift 1-ls pump , which has a built in float switch so that will switch itself on when waste feed goes in the collection tub and pump it out.

I did try a store the other day for advice but half the stuff I mentioned they’d not heard of, so came away sharpish.

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just trying to make sure I purchase what I need.

I’ve seen a few diaries on here using this method / set up, but thought I’d make sure.

Do this sound like it would work @GSZZ ?

Thanks in advance :) .

• Like 3

which ever of them rta's you run i would not advice iceline pipe it bends and sags everywhere. Better to use some solid waste pipe or similar. Ice pipe is good for diy watering rings, as for pumps with enough pressure i will leave to others to give advise.

Toke...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, twoscoops said:

Ive seen various makes( Iws, Medusa, Rta) but not sure which is best to buy).

Medusa are heads and shoulders above the rest. What our @tokenroll says is sound advice, rigid or solid piping for the trays would be ideal otherwise you're going to spend ages either raising trays so the exit is lower than the sags, or you'l be propping up the pipe with whatever you have to hand so its straight. Just use the right pipe!

As for the pump, I know you're feeding 9 plants but how big is the space? If its ony half a meter of pipe, a ring and 9 half meter drip lines then a MJ1000 might make it. I like to use the Haelia A5000 + series or the Aqua King pump that comes with IWS dripper systems, I forget the code now but if you search "IWS Dripper pump" you'll find it sharpish. Better to have a big pump that I can control the flow of with a tap than a small pump you can't turn up!

• Like 2

@tokenroll

Thanks for the advice on solid piping for the run off, cheers.

@GSZZ

Thanks for your input, I will be looking at solid piping now for the run off, cheers.

Thanks for confirming about pump size etc, I’ve just seen the aqua king 7000l/h model online.

I am also thinking about a inline filter to protect the waste pump from sediment etc.

The space is about 1.8m x 2.1m , I will try post a pic:

(ignore the old iws pots) 

large.BC1D2D52-BB83-4F63-8338-6CAEF7D3BADD.jpeg

Cheers.

• Like 7

Hi there just to mention i wouldn't use a inline filter to protect the waste pump as it will plug up pretty quickly and cause a flood.

I use the same pump for waste and use tights on the pick up of the pump as recommended on the thread on here using the Medusa's and pump, mines been running for 2 months without issue.

• Like 3

As an alternative method to pumping to waste I've used a boat bilge pump which also has a built on float switch. The setup is quite different as the bilge pump outlet is 18mm, so the bilge pump probably won't do well in a small container; mine is housed in my 30L runoff tank (which used to be emptied by hand, hence the size). I have the bilge pump on a timer that comes on once a day once there is a fair amount of liquid to pump away.

The pros of this setup are that the bilge pump is unlikely to block due to the nature of the pump and the fact that the hose is so large, and the run off tank can contain a fair bit of liquid if the pump fails. Cons are that I'm relying on a timer which could fail and that I'm losing headroom having a tank stored below my pots. The pump also needs a 24v transformer to run as they designed to be installed on boats.

Probably no good for what you're planning but thought I'd share as it might help others that are reading with different setups.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been getting a few bits n bobs together so I can steadily build the system and test it out.

I did say a few bits but they’ll soon be more to follow.

large.69CCA7D3-6678-4607-92AA-7062F357198F.jpeg

:beer:

• Like 7

@GSZZ

I will try take pics of the different bits as I put it together, that way it’ll be easy if I need help.

Got a beast of a feed pump, I’ve got visions of it sounding like this, fookin ell lol

Got some more bits n bobs the other day :realcool:.

Iceline pipe

large.7DDF8145-6DBA-4177-96F1-DF004C2DDD46.jpeg

Pump timer:

large.557692B1-6A0C-4698-B49F-5E28CDC53CC5.jpeg

Irrigation Fittings 13mm:

large.270D7F6F-A3BB-4849-A4B1-D2B6FFD141D6.jpeg

:stoned:

• Like 6

I have just started my first coco grow a few weeks back and already I can see the potential benefit from having a medusa runoff system or similar. 

Hope the build goes well, 

I look forward to seeing your final set up :)

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

@Shumroom 

I’ve gone for the Medusa base booster run-off trays to give me more height for the run-off pipes. 
I think I’m going to use 15mm copper pipe and compression fittings  + rubber washers to connect the run-off side of things :book:

Cheers :cheers:.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twoscoops said:

15mm copper pipe and compression fittings

Have a look at John Guest Speedfit fittings for an easier, quicker, and demountable alternative to compression.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I have found best to run 25mm iws Pro pipe from the aquaking pump to a 25mm double barbed tee then either side of the tee reduce down to 19mm with a 25-19 mm reducer then after the reducer on both sides of the tee a 19mm inline filter this gives you alot more flow than the 13mm inline filters.

Then reduce down from the 19mm filters to 13mm and run a hose pipe to the first manifold (I use the 4 way manifold not the 2 way like you have) and run 2 lengths of the 4mm id irrigation pipe to each pot with 2 blue dripper stakes.

Then run hose from the first manifold to the next and repeat by returning to the other filter making one big loop around your plants.

This will give you equal pressure to each dripper causing consistent watering volume to each pot you can then dial in your watering time as each pot should run off at equal times not having to keep the pump running having to compensate for poor flow on dripper furthest from the pump.

List of materials needed for the irrigation set up

25mm iws Pro pipe

1 x 25mm double barbed tee

2 x 25mm - 19mm barbed reducers

Short length 19mm pipe

2 x 19mm inline irrigation filters

2 x 19mm -13mm reducers

13mm standard hose pipe

1 x for every two plant pots (13mm × 4 way 4mm) - ebay item number 263118495669

4mm ID/ 6mm OD black irrigation pipe

2 x Blue dripper stakes for each pot

Some helpfull tips -

Fit a good quality jubilee clip on the 25mm pipe on the tapered pump connector on the aquaking as the pressure can blow the pipe off causing the pump to spin and cause damage to the electrical cord or worse put a hole in your flexitank

When connecting your medussa trays position them in your area and flip them all upside down and use the same 25mm IWS Pro pipe (Iceline isn't needed save the extra cost)

Cut to length then soften each end of the pipe in boiling water and push on to the 25mm tee on the medussa so the raised shape of the pipe is upwards so when you turn all the trays back over to the correct way the bends on the pipe will be downwards this will prevent the issue mentioned in the comment above where the trays won't drain.

I will take some pictures and do some diagrams tomorrow so all this makes more sense.

Edited by fluffydog
  • Like 5