Hempy Buckets

Gungadin

• 1 year later...
On 19/02/2021 at 0:39 PM, badbillybob said:

a mate of mine uses hempys, clay at bottom few inches and coco on top. he gets great results. 

he uses a bucket inside another bucket, with a cheap tap plumbed into the bottom of the lower buckets to drain the excess nutes/run off.

he grows trees in them

How does HEMPY BUCKET work?

Roots sitting in nutes on bottom of the pot. This nutes are actually run off which should be disposed. 

I've seen great results but can't get my head around it. 

@Arthur Mix 

basically the same as a wilma, but usually hand watered, althoa timer would work just as well. its a pot with hydroton or perlite in bottom couple of inches, coco on top (usually, altho hydroton, perlite etc can also be used)

water goes in top and soaks through, and run off exits hole in bottom.

depending on drain hole height, the roots may be sitting in nutes at the bottom. the new nutes also flush out any old nutes in bottom of pot.

hope this makes sense

• Like 2

@badbillybob thanks for prompt response. Yes it makes sense ... Will check how Wilma system works. So basically it is not necessary to clean up run off when watering in normal pots? Sorry to bomb with stupid questions?

Just now, CDF20 said:

@badbillybob thanks for prompt response. Yes it makes sense ... Will check how Wilma system works. So basically it is not necessary to clean up run off when watering in normal pots as roots can soak it up as in HEMPY? Sorry to bomb with stupid questions?

if using a hempy, you need to water till you get about 20% runoff, to replenish the nutes. if watering in coco pots (not hempy), then you need to get rid of runoff. 

• Like 2

When you water a hempy the water comes out the only hole on the side two inches up 1/8th diameter Hole. The clay balls are just over the hole height. So each watering forces air and nutrients that are new out of hole. Then fresh nutrients are available to the plants. It’s a great simple way to hand water plants.  Lots of info in my diaries. Sorry was out all day and just saw this. 

• Like 6

I use pure coco in the top 9 times out of ten, 70/30 other times.  Fytocell was a big one to use on the top when I 1st started them with lucas formula.

Was great when i worked round the clock, as its easy to set aside 30 mins every other day, they are very very forgiving.  I used to feed to run off every 48 hours no matter what the odd time I missed an it was 72 hours they was fine even at the heigh of summer when I was busiest.  So they thrive of negect and make a soil timetable out of an hydro grow... they stand alone for me.  

I would normally go from a 1 or 3ltr pot of coco into the 21ltr bucket.

This was the very 1st one I did, 2013 I think.  63 ltr stage crate, fytocell and Lucas formula it was an horrid effort smoke wise.

gallery_61117_3171_407776.jpg

then I started on the 21ltr standard hydro buckets with coco a few years later.  This was a 500g Girls scout cookie from Blimburn.  Hefty girls from them tbf from the few I've tried.  this is just the side of her.

large.5c81956c811ea_3-_MG_7548.jpg

Active hempies where I put an airline into the bottom res via the hole really flew.  Makes an easy job of it once set up, it always seems a chore making the buckets up especially if you choose to pre rinse them once set up before flushing through with notes ready.  Cleaning the coco as been another plus point from looking back at results like the airline.

Cool air into the Pump.  2 x8 way pumps to run 15 here. 

large.IMG_0197.jpg

This one ingrowing outdoors in 30 to 40c heat as both an airline and as been super washed for over 25 minutes until it ran crcytal clear from the hole.

its a 35 ltr dustin, perlite in the bottom, pure coco in the top.

This one was heavily insulated, 3 layers of B/W, three of silver insulation and then surrounded by bricks and plants to make her cool (the water is a bad idea outside in these conditions so needed the 10mm airline from the air conditioned room underneath)

large.C8F0CB36-7030-4792-A77D-DC4FC35FB8BD.jpeglarge.60FA7C93-50B8-45E9-9486-B71F0B53181A.jpeglarge.D2C8457B-E8E5-4C71-A7F2-F3AED64288DA.jpeg

large.7A091DC3-E73D-4C62-AD43-088211902979.jpeg

In all honesty, it allowed a neglectful grower like me to achieve really good results.

Skywalker OG

large.5c51894ccc0ef_3-_MG_6981.jpg

freebie Blues from UgorG (I want this snip back 3x stretch and solid as a rock so free veg and in a normal grow lol)

large.5c8c34b8804ce_10-_MG_7863.jpg

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 6

This was a 36ltr Lidl toy crate special... I love how you can use anything. Steptoe Hydro.

Excuse the bugs was a dark and desperate time. lol

Root Brother.  

large.5ECB8AD8-28FD-496A-AD5F-36F4E1C87E6E.jpeg

• Like 2

The yield for me comes from the net system and training more than the choice of pot in effect. Hempies just make it simplified for my chaotic life and persona.  Ive had so many droughts catch me out with depressed bought, busy etc etc and never cared for automation as it takes as much time monitoring everything.  

So to rely simply on gravity vs devices, and a few minutes per pot every other day, made more sense from a commitment and neglect standpoint.

Double Net

budelaire_uk420_1531054514.jpg.4b95884121fc9aa40d5abc3f969a891f.jpg

Disco Biscuit (old mum no net)

budelaire_uk420_1521218487.jpg.b524c70a36d346b5a30191b2ea3bd715.jpgbudelaire_uk420_1523034182.jpg.80ef562dc45722ca9304e8d5a8d0239b.jpgbudelaire_uk420_1526511529.jpg.c2d86c857fadedd1349ff3f85835b085.jpg

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 8

Im doing my first hempy bucket and it couldnt be simpler - watering routine is just every day so no worry about wet/dry cycle - even easier than coco.

large.1-bucket-hole.jpglarge.2-bucket-ceramic-pebbles.jpglarge.3-c99.jpglarge.4-potted.jpglarge.5-in-drobe2.jpglarge.6-watered.jpg

A couple of months later

large.sd-day-38.jpg

large.small-drobe-day47.jpg

• Like 8

top effort pal, they are a very special thing for me.  glad you went with it man.  I hit rock bottom, looked at my grows for inspiration.  Quickly readapted them and never really looked back.  

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 3