Complete newbie

Ee3311

Hi all.

complete newbie here.

ive started off a couple of “big bud” from seeds.

I have them now in 20l airpots filled with “hydro coco 60/40 gold label.

i was assuming this is coco coir and ok however I’m having doubts whether this product is for hydroponics or something as my plants don’t seem to be growing much.

im over 7 weeks since seed now and the plants are only 7” high and even if I wanted to I couldn’t do any low stress training as they aren’t tall enough to be pulled either way so ast to tie them down or to anything.

I have them under 2 kosckeal 2000w led’s maybe 6” from canopy.

seem healthy enough and obviously new growth emerging slowly but i was expecting them to be a lot quicker/bigger after 7weeks so suspecting the medium as the cause.

been on 24 for the first 4 weeks and the last 3 weeks 18/4

temp always around 26day and no less than 22 during night.

have just received my 600zeus pro

G.A.S enviro controller

G.A.S inteleigent humidity controller

200 system air v2 silenced

150 system air v2 silenced 

Carboair filter

1.5mx1.5mx 2000 bud box pro

various other bits so I am genuinely committed and looking for good advice to get up and running but at the moment my wee tent with my wee plants is a bit concerning.

any advice really appreciated 

Edited by Ee3311

Hello mate, as said get the pictures up when you can.. 

But, did you go straight into 20L pots? They're some big boys and could have something to do with slow growth if they're trying to root that size pot out.

What's your watering technique like? That could have something to do with it

If you're over watering them in such a big pot without rooting it out properly 

Atb 

20 hours ago, Shaggy1 said:

Hello mate, as said get the pictures up when you can.. 

But, did you go straight into 20L pots? They're some big boys and could have something to do with slow growth if they're trying to root that size pot out.

What's your watering technique like? That could have something to do with it

If you're over watering them in such a big pot without rooting it out properly 

Atb 

14 hours ago, Alys said:

@Ee3311 try here ...

I really appreciate that help but I’m struggling to get pictures from iPhone to resize and get them across. Looking back I see it’s very common for people with same problem.

just do not want anyone thinking I’m ignoring by not uploading pics. Even tried on my laptop last night for over 2hrs.

I will persevere and hopefully be back soon with pics.

• 1 month later...

You have to be carefull with the 20l pots from been babies. I use 20l myself from cutting but feed outside the rootball day by day stretching further out with each feed, probz 200ml each the 1st day and keeping working out adding about 50ml each time, usually takes about a week then they start kicking off, a lot say no to do this but it works for me I'm on my 8th grow doing the same technique each time it's just what works for me, not saying it will for you or others though. Your a bit far in now to start this but if you so the same again try this technique. 

• Like 1

Coco is the closest to hydroponics that is not actually hydroponics. Never let it go dry, make sure your feeding session takes place same time every day, prefferably in the first hours of light.

Always make sure you have runoff, at least 15-20% of the pot in runoff water, which is why people are recommending smaller pots and working your way up with photoperiod plants. Bigger pots full of coco hold water for longer, and a young plant that hasn't rooted yet will struggle adapting to the boggy environment. 

What water are you using? Tap/RO/rain water? Make sure its de-chlorinated if you are using mycorrhizae/beneficial bacteria of any kind.

If RO remember to use nutes specifically for coco, if not then consider adding some Cal-Mag as RO water is stripped of everything and will carry calcium OUT of the plant starving it.

Lights,

Let the plant have a break.. 18/6 is fine, but dont go lower than that, they still need a dark cycle to work their roots. Make sure you have at least 1 fan blowing at the canopy and that the light is (+-) 48cm from the canopy (dunno what 6 inches are) .

I'm suspecting that you probably stressed the plant out by having it on 24h of light, having it in a massive pot not giving it any dark to work its roots around. That's why people start them in smaller pots, letting them populate them and then pot up when the root ball has been established during the overnight root development. Without pictures I cannot say for sure, but from what you're telling us this makes sense. 

It's all fine though, we've all done mistakes :D That's your lesson :)

• Like 2