Old skool retrogames suggestions (RetroPie)

soto

Just now, grotbags said:

I fukin loved that game!! Funnily enough i was thinking about it couple of nights ago when i was looking at getting an old spectrum 128k +2a soon for some nostalgia trips..... Renegade, great escape, skool daze, bubble bobble, 1942, and loads more!! 

Keep waiting for someone to do a proper remake of it lol 

That and this one

E2A I think the way they worked this one was really good 2D screens but with a 3D feel some impresive coding for the time

Edited by McHazy
  • Like 1

The viz game was seriously messed up, on all platforms. How they got away with putting stuff like this on cover tapes, I dunno.

Edited by soto
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Here's a SNES one that is hard to forget, has the kinda feel that Flashback or Dues EX had.

Edited by soto
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Syndicate fuckin rocked I loved that game

Pity they fucked up the reboot so badly by turning it into a shitey fuckin fps

• Like 2

There is a game on Steam called Slapshot Rebound, it's an ice hockey game but it reminds me of a cross between Sensible Soccer and the Megadrive version of the NHL games when that came out (many moons ago) in it's graphics. The physics are quite good in the way the puck behaves, but it is fucking hard to control your player. Just been playing the practice mode to get the hang of it, it's in beta mode at present so hopefully they will add more features to it. 

Flash Back I had forgotten about that and the predecessor Another Word really good, Dune 2 was good a RTS game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr Krepituz said:

Flash Back I had forgotten about that and the predecessor Another Word really good, Dune 2 was good a RTS game.

I remember playing that on PC , must have been one of the first ever RTS games in the early 90's

• Like 1

One game that I always remember from my Amiga days was called 'Hunter'....it was the first 3d open world game I'd ever played, and remember being blown away by actually being able to go anywhere in the game you wanted to! Seems daft now, but it was amazing in the early 90's :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Degsy said:

must have been one of the first ever RTS games in the early 90's

I think there were a couple of other similar strategy games that came out around that time but I think that Dune 2 was the first to have the "the fog of war" you had the basic map but you did not know where the enemy or the spice resources were until you went exploring and you had build additional power plants to run the radar to show you where things were and keep the areas you had been to 'lit up'.

I can remember as a kid going to the local college and they had a computer that would play games but there was no real screen or graphics, the game was turn based and the information came out on a print out (like Dickie Davies teleprinter giving the football results) . The game was to torpedo an aircraft carrier using coordinates and bearings of the sub, and the carrier, the distance and their speed. I remember saying to the Tutor something like it's a pity you can't have this running in real time and the action (or lack of it) displayed on a screen.    

This must have been 1978 or 1979 as the Atari Space Invaders had come out and Star Wars was out a year or so earlier, I said to the Tutor just imagine if you had a game where you could fly around in a spaceship attacking the Death Star or battling other spaceships. Oh that won't happen he came out with this is an educational tool that we use for this that and 'tother. It wont happen he said, that's a pity I said "cause this is rubbish".

Needless to say I did not get to go again, but I do have the quiet comfort 40+ years later of knowing he was wrong. 3 years or so after that, Commodore, Sinclair, Acorn and Amstrad brought out their machines and the games world took off. The smile that I had when I bought my Amiga in 1990 and then got David Braben's Frontier Elite 2, was like that I fucking told you moment.

An open world, real distances, hyperdriving around the galaxy delivering stuff, assassination missions for the Empire and Federation and being finally able 'To nuke the site form orbit.....it's the only way to be sure'. 

• Like 3

There was a worms discount sale on GOG. Bought Worms Armageddon and managed to install it on my Ubuntu desktop. This is the best Worms ever. Maybe not as old as some others, but still plain old school spirit. This game is freakin' awesome. My kids love to play it with me.

• Like 1