Old skool retrogames suggestions (RetroPie)

soto

1 hour ago, Mugwuffin said:

NeoGeo is another underrated platform, love the Metal Slug series. R-type used to give me a headache if I played it too long lol

Them games was so expensive for the time...wasn't they £100 a game or something? 

Eta: just had a look on the bay. King of the monsters is being sold for £199.99 now! Madness, I couldn't imagine paying that much for a game. 

Edited by Cainedbutable
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cainedbutable said:

Them games was so expensive for the time...wasn't they £100 a game or something? 

Eta: just had a look on the bay. King of the monsters is being sold for £199.99 now! Madness, I couldn't imagine paying that much for a game. 

I've never actually paid for one, there's been a good emulation scene for over 20 years now, although it can be a bit harder to find the roms these days ;)

Edited by Mugwuffin
  • Like 3

amiga a1200 with 2 mb of ram, and a 64gb external hard drive and workbench loading on start-up ^^

Cannon fodder, Frontier Elite, Micro_machines, pinball it was awesone, it was handy sharing a house with a Logica prize uni student in the 90s - we had all sorts of computer and gamning shite going on...We just used to knock on Rays door lol

Then came the first 386's and Command and Conquer...RTS was the game changer for its time. I miss retro gaming, but its boring if you know what I mean. I try to game now, but I just cant lol

However I do bring out C&C Zero Hour every now and again, thats 17yrs old now...does that quality as retro? Or are we just talking Qbert and Alex the kid?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zeroG said:

amiga a1200 with 2 mb of ram, and a 64gb external hard drive and workbench loading on start-up ^^

Cannon fodder, Frontier Elite, Micro_machines, pinball it was awesone, it was handy sharing a house with a Logica prize uni student in the 90s - we had all sorts of computer and gamning shite going on...We just used to knock on Rays door lol

Then came the first 386's and Command and Conquer...RTS was the game changer for its time. I miss retro gaming, but its boring if you know what I mean. I try to game now, but I just cant lol

However I do bring out C&C Zero Hour every now and again, thats 17yrs old now...does that quality as retro? Or are we just talking Qbert and Alex the kid?

Love me some retro PC games too, Commander keen, Day of the tenticle, Monkey Island, Armaggeddon (another great early rts), spose the first Total war series is getting on a bit now, though still great.

• Like 3

I was a spectrum kid and my dad had over 150 games probably more, theres some proper classics i used to like a bit of commando but i think my all time favourite has gotta be the great escape i loved that game with a passion and was devastated they never did a 2nd,, being 10 rears old and having to figure out how you get out,, picking locks and what not fucking excellent when your 10

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ravsta said:

I was a spectrum kid and my dad had over 150 games probably more, theres some proper classics i used to like a bit of commando but i think my all time favourite has gotta be the great escape i loved that game with a passion and was devastated they never did a 2nd,, being 10 rears old and having to figure out how you get out,, picking locks and what not fucking excellent when your 10

I think I just about remember that one. There were a quite a few games like that for the speccy. It sort of reminds me of Saboteur 2 a little

Batman the Movie was peak spectrum for me, a little unplayable on the 48k admittedly, just not enough ram. 

I have some spectrum games for the 48k that game in really pretty boxes, some with what were effectively novels lol. Do you remember the Lords of Midnight?

Edited by soto
  • Like 3

@soto -Batman was a game that used to always crash and it never went past a certain level me if it even loaded lol i remember having to tweak the cassete deck to load certain games there used to be a small screw you could adjust just under the tape but the only thing was once you started moving it it became a nightmare for games not loading,, green beret, gauntlet, paperboy, chuckie egg, jet set willy all bangers the list is endless, i also remember the monthly mags with a page of cheats for certain games

• Like 2

@cainebutable thats the one and thats exactly how ya had to play it full steam ahead none of that waiting about shit,, the tunes on some of these games lol i used to play nearly all my games by keyboard as well as i thought it gave you more control rather than a joystick

• Like 1

Here's another one I couldn't get enough of, they did an excellent job of porting this to the speccy. Will never forget the music hehe. 

Some games though were terrible when ported. For example:

• Like 4

22 hours ago, McHazy said:

Rock Star Ate My Hamster :yep:

I fukin loved that game!! Funnily enough i was thinking about it couple of nights ago when i was looking at getting an old spectrum 128k +2a soon for some nostalgia trips..... Renegade, great escape, skool daze, bubble bobble, 1942, and loads more!! 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, McHazy said:

Yie ar kung fu was another one 

Excellent, building on the strength of the spectrum rather than trying to be something that it's not (like with SF 2)

Incidentally does anyone remember Carrier Command? The speccy version was pretty good and also came in a nice box with this themetune tape.

• Like 3