Old skool retrogames suggestions (RetroPie)

soto

Hi there,

If you're into retrogames, one of the best purchases you can make at the moment is a decent SD card, a raspberry pi 4 or alternatively an old PC (say 10 years old max). With better hardware you can even upscale some games to 1080p..

I just thought I'd create this thread for retrogames recommendations. I have a bit of a penchant for the SNES, Mastersystem and Spectrum 128k. There's just so much playability in games like micromachines and Dizzy for example that I'm convinced would seem a bit lost on some of today's kids without the snazzy graphics of today.

Edited by soto
  • Like 4

ZX Spectrum - Skool Daze (1984) - Eric's adventures at school.

... or a bit more up to date.

Road Rash - Playstation 1 (1991) - Knocking people off motorcycles with chains (please don't do this in real life it would hurt).

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Lux_Interior said:

ZX Spectrum - Skool Daze (1984) - Eric's adventures at school.

... or a bit more up to date.

Road Rash - Playstation 1 (1991) - Knocking people off motorcycles with chains (please don't do this in real life it would hurt).

Ah yes Road Rash lol I remember that one. For me, the game that summed up the early PS1 days was Ridge Racer. Incidentally, both these games will look much better upscaled. 

Edited by soto

There was also the Summer Olympic Games PS1. Which worked because you'd have a go then it was someboday elses turn & they had to pass the spliff on.

It's all about the Mame emulator, always love the arcade classics. Mario RPG is a great choice for the SNES, as it wasn't ever released in the UK ;)

There's also some good emulators for android phones too, beats the piss outta pretty much all mobile games imo.

Edited by Mugwuffin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mugwuffin said:

It's all about the Mame emulator, always love the arcade classics. Mario RPG is a great choice for the SNES, as it wasn't ever released in the UK ;)

There's also some good emulators for android phones too, beats the piss outta pretty much all mobile games imo.

• Like 2

That's a nice front end @soto, but I still prefer separate emulators (better performance imo) I'm still playing 'new' SNES games, as I downloaded a rom pack with every game released. Still have to bring out my origional NES every now and then though, as duck hunt just ain't the same without a light gun :D

• Like 2

R-Type (1987) 35 years and I still can't get passed Lvl 4, it's tough :)

Used to Love micro machines :yep: I've got a soft modded  Original xbox with Shinobi, Contra, Bubble Bobble and a bunch of other stuff, But it's too big to leave out.

I'll have to have another look at retro pie as I have some RPi3 somewhere.

:oldtoker:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clumsy said:

R-Type (1987) 35 years and I still can't get passed Lvl 4, it's tough :)

Used to Love micro machines :yep: I've got a soft modded  Original xbox with Shinobi, Contra, Bubble Bobble and a bunch of other stuff, But it's too big to leave out.

I'll have to have another look at retro pie as I have some RPi3 somewhere.

:oldtoker:

Ah bubble bobble, spent hours playing it. Good puzzle game. 

Also anyone remember constantly listening to this in the arcades?

• Like 2

I loved the Amiga 500 (I had the 600 version with 1MB memory in it) - Sensible Soccer, Dune 2, Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Syndicate, Alien Breed and the Chaos Engine some great games with real thought in them. 

• Like 1

NeoGeo is another underrated platform, love the Metal Slug series. R-type used to give me a headache if I played it too long lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, McHazy said:

Rock Star Ate My Hamster :yep:

Ah lol you've reminded me of the Your Sinclair cover tapes. What was that Viz game I forget lol.

• Like 1