Bigrootz Soil Help Needed

Rhombus23

5 minutes ago, Whatwentwrong said:

what evidence have you shown to prove your point.

I've got no point to prove. 

Some laughing faces, and yeah, you do all mostly parrot one persons view.

Cool.  Put everyone except Blackpool bouncer on ignore. 

Seeing as you don't want anyone else's opinion I'll leave you to it. 

A side by side has very limited use unless you’re running a good number of plants. Even cuttings could have better or worse health depending on the starting point. Different gene families will react very differently to the same environmental cues dep on their start point. I’ve personally never heard anyone saying you should PH soil. I didn’t even bother PHing in coco and had nice healthy, tasty plants that yielded well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modeflip said:

A side by side has very limited use unless you’re running a good number of plants. Even cuttings could have better or worse health depending on the starting point. Different gene families will react very differently to the same environmental cues dep on their start point. I’ve personally never heard anyone saying you should PH soil. I didn’t even bother PHing in coco and had nice healthy, tasty plants that yielded well. 

that’s fair but the ones who do say are most the actual compost manufacturers (as shown in the op’s op) and a guy on YouTube who has quite an awful lot of quite successful documented grows (as shown in the video) and the video posted does show him re-amending his soils ph by putting in water ph’d at 7.4 and he monitored his soil until the ph was what it should be and the plant made a dramatic improvement and all he did was add ph’d water.

also a side by side is what you have so you use what you can. The only way to even try and see a difference would be a clone run side by side. How else could you do it.

1 hour ago, fatboy77 said:

Cool.  Put everyone except Blackpool bouncer on ignore. 

Seeing as you don't want anyone else's opinion I'll leave you to it. 

sorry man, I have in another thread had some one say “well bb says you don’t need too”. That’s what formed that opinion but it was very narrow minded and based on one person. But looking at the only evidence regarding fixing soil ph you could forgive someone thinking it made a difference.

I suggest you do some research rather than making a fool of yourself. 

Get back to me when you understand what your talking about and understand the basic principles of soil

I'll leave you with a riddle. If a cow shits in the field and it rains. Who ph's the water running into the soil. Answers in a postcard 

Edit. You still haven't apologised for talking shit in the other thread accusing me of saying contrary shit when I didn't. Ph your feeds if you feel your right. Couldn't give a fuck tbh. What I will say though is I'll be mixing up over 100,000 litres of nutrients this year for container grown plants and I won't be phing any if it. 

But of course, I'm wrong cos YouTube sez so. lol

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

I suggest you do some research rather than making a fool of yourself. 

Get back to me when you understand what your talking about and understand the basic principles of soil

I'll leave you with a riddle. If a cow shits in the field and it rains. Who ph's the water running into the soil. Answers in a postcard 

Edit. You still haven't apologised for talking shit in the other thread accusing me of saying contrary shit when I didn't. Ph your feeds if you feel your right. Couldn't give a fuck tbh. What I will say though is I'll be mixing up over 100,000 litres of nutrients this year for container grown plants and I won't be phing any if it. 

But of course, I'm wrong cos YouTube sez so. lol

no, but you’ve never provided any evidence to show your right.

why haven’t you done a side by side, then instead of argueing the point you could just send someone there. Instead your answer is “I’ve never done it because you don’t have to”. My point would be, if you haven’t tried it you wouldn’t know the difference.

on the other hand I have provided at least some proof to show it actually does make a difference.

also as far as the other thread, if it’s the one where I told him to put dolomite lime in to stabilise his soil ph. All super soil manufacturers put put dolomite lime in to stabilise ph, hell even you do.

ps, maybe try mentioning me 

sorry, forgot some laughy faces coz they always show your right 

lollollol 

Edited by Whatwentwrong

pH in soil is an INCREDIBLY complex thing. It's not possible to provide a simple answer that "proves" anything. That video certainly proves absolutely nothing. 

Some types of microbial fermentation common to certain types of organic matter, and runoff from certain soil components and their breakdown products will move the dynamic equilibrium to one side or another. This is why you can buy ericaceous soil. These are baseline characteristics of the soil as mixed. This determines the equilibrium point it reaches. 

Watering in pH adjusted water will (because of the huge chemical capacity of soil to buffer) have fuck all medium term impact. It will wash your roots with a solution to which your plants need to rapidly adjust then readjust. Shocking them. But ultimately is not a good way of compensating for shit dirt. Hence not worth it. It will not have even a minute fraction of the capacity of the undissolved solutes in that soil. Which will take back over eventually. Especially so in larger pots. 

If your soil is out of whack, or drifts that way over time it's almost certainly a starting mix issue. Humic acids lower pH over time and this impact is buffered in particular by things within the mineral component or microbial action. 

Eta: this is why anyone with sense amends with solids - lime, sulphur etc for any soil pH they wish to achieve. Not amending water. Because that's pointless. 

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 5

You should do some reading up on ph buffering and you'd then get why the vast majority of us say there is no need to ph adjust your water when growing in compost. Also appart from the OP's brand, which is hardly an established brand of compost, I have never come across a compost manufacturer that recommends PH adjustment.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I have passed them on to my friend. 

I was surprised at pHing soil too, though I was surprised at the no need to feed as well. 

Please don't fall out over this, there are more important things to worry about. 

I'm going with deficient in everything and he's fed them... 

• Like 2

If youre using extremely hard water especially from a well you may need to adjust it but most tap water in the UK doesnt need to be ph'd in soil. Its close to neutral and has a low ec aka minimal effect on the buffering capacity of your soil. 6.5-6.8 ph water would be perfect but anywhere around 7 is fine. If youre growing no till and your soil ph drifts over time you adjust that with lime/sulphur not with whatever weak acid/alkaline you're using to adjust your water. Tap water has low buffering capacity so it wont take much to skew off the ph of your water but youd have to use a LOT of said water to shift your dirts PH which is what matters for the plant. Just drops in an ocean of hydrogen ions man.

• Like 2

On 01/02/2021 at 4:35 PM, Whatwentwrong said:

if you look at the only video/photographic evidence ever provided on the subject

Ever? Really? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whatwentwrong said:

on the other hand I have provided at least some proof to show it actually does make a difference.

You've posted a video made by a Youtubing attention whore and are stating it as fact. lollollol 

You've been here nearly 6 months and have 1 grow under your belt which, tbh, is a fucking embarrassment if your pictures are anything to go by, yet you're arguing with growers with decades of experience. 

Do yourself a favour and stfu about things you know less than fuck all about. :yep:  

lollollol 

• Like 2

Also no need for side by sides. Buffering capacity is I believe A level chemistry. 

Also to complicate it some more plants have some capacity to adjust the ph in their rhizosphere. But best not to rely on that too much just make sure your soil is good and about the right PH and youre fine. 

Edited by Sargares
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Oh yeah sorry:

lollollol

At least you remembered the laughy faces.

Edited by Whatwentwrong