Bigrootz Soil Help Needed

Rhombus23

Hi,

I'm seeking some advice for my friend, he's got a couple of plants under a 315 in 20ltr or thereabouts pots of Bigroot zsoil. He has a humidistat and humidifier in the tent and it's adequately ventilated so the temperature and VPD are good but his leaves are showing deficiencies and I'm hoping someone here can advise please.

The soil claims "No nutrient needed just pH 6.0 water".....large.BigrootsFront.jpglarge.Deficiency1.jpglarge.Deficiency2.jpglarge.BigrootsBack.jpg

WHat are the minimum temp the roots are dropping to (or temp at ground level if don't have a probe)? Also as @Saddam implied, doesn't fill you with confidence in the compost manufacturer if they are advising to PH adjust the water...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rhombus23 said:

The soil claims "No nutrient needed just pH 6.0 water"

That is if you use big enough pots to facilitate the nutrient cycle, the minimum I would recommend is at least 50 litres per plant. 75 would be better. He's essentially trying to grow no till.

Also there's no need to ph the water. There's is a few lads who use smaller pots for no till but they supplement the nutrients in the soil :hippy:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rhombus23 said:

The soil claims "No nutrient needed just pH 6.0 water"....

Not sure if it matters but that is mentioned nowhere on their website. The soil itself is amended with dolomite and oyster shells to keep ph around 6.5 to 6.8 ph. No need to adjust ph at any point. If root temps and environment are all OK, maybe it needs some extra nutes at this point? Good luck. Someone may be able to help you a little more hopefully.

purple/red leaves can be a temprature thing (too cold)   a  phosphorus deficiency ,  a strain trait.     some plants use more P then others, but they all use it in large amounts.    you could use a seaweed solution soak, this will have all the trace elements needed by the plant to uptake its food. it also has a small amount of P in it.  the only thing ive found seaweed missing is N in large amounts.

anyway, a seaweed soak will not harm your plants and could be very benaficial

watch that video. the only person who says not to ph in soil as far as I’ve found is @blackpoolbouncer. the soil companies say to do it, other growers (other than BB) say to do it and this guy has put a video on YouTube showing the difference between a plant that is growing in soil that is out of the ph range and it clearly came back around when he fixed the PH.

@Whatwentwrong I think you need to do some more reading here, especially if you think Blackpool bouncer is the only one saying not to pH is soil. Pretty much 99.9% of soil growers here will tell you not to pH.

Don't mean to come across as rude, but you are very mistaken if this is what you think.

atb

greenie

• Like 5

Run out of food ages ago.  That's an everything deficiency, what you want at the end of the crop, not in the middle. 

And fuck ph in compost. 

@green_machinemaybe but I feel they are just repeating what one person has said, and @fatboy77it did make a difference to the grow in the video and he is clearly PH’ing his water each grow.

has anyone put a side by side on here with a ph’d grow and a non ph’d grow to show it doesn’t make a difference because if you look at the only video/photographic evidence ever provided on the subject it would prove it does make a difference.

@Whatwentwrong again I would say go do some searches and do some more reading mate. I have been using this account since 2007 and had another account prior to this, before that I was on overgrow, not pH'ing in compost was well established before even my time growing.

In terms of doing a side by side grow, I have never bothered as there is nothing to prove, I live in London and my water out of the tap is just awful with a pH of around 8.5, never once have I ever bothered to pH in compost and it has never been an issue all my plants are perfectly healthy. On the other hand, I have literally lost count of the number of people I (and others on here) have helped recover grows after they have wrecked them from pH'ing their water.

In terms of the video (I haven't watched it) if he is seeing a difference by pH'ing his water I would want to ask what compost he's using if you are using a good properly buffered compost pH'ing is not necessary as the compost will buffer anything you put into it into the necessary pH.

If you feel it works for you I mean go ahead and do it, but in properly buffered compost it is a waste of time and can cause way more problems.

atb

greenie

e2a: - I am an avid fishkeeper and breeder so I have both an HMA and RO system in my house, I also regularly check the pH, EC and TDS of all my tanks. If using custom mixed water was any better I would have swapped to this long ago, but my plants have always had water straight from the tap, again never had an issue from this.

Edited by green_machine
added more information
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Whatwentwrong said:

@green_machinemaybe but I feel they are just repeating what one person has said, and @fatboy77it did make a difference to the grow in the video and he is clearly PH’ing his water each grow.

Yeah we are all just parrots. 

Oh shit, there's a video on t'internet about it? That changes everything. 

lol

1 minute ago, fatboy77 said:

Yeah we are all just parrots. 

Oh shit, there's a video on t'internet about it? That changes everything. 

lol

what evidence have you shown to prove your point. Some laughing faces, and yeah, you do all mostly parrot one persons view.

sorry, I forgot my laughing faces.

lollollol 

three, so that makes my point three times more valid than yours now. Boom!!!!

(I added a “Boom!!!!” For dramatic effect and because being the most sarcastic seems to make you more right on forums)

Edited by Whatwentwrong
  • Like 1