Rdwc water pump vibration

Dsmile

What soundproofing do you recommended to put under the system to eliminate the low tone vibrations? Soundproofing tiles seem pretty pricey, i don't mind getting them for peace of mind but id lile some opinions on which/what to use. 

Thanks

Hi,

My brain pot a mj1200 return feed water pump causes me the most stress due to vibration noise getting transferred into my property, i have concerns that this may heard or felt in the neighbours house as i live in a semi, this noise is louder than the entire system of fans etc put together, i don't know what exactly is causing your noise issue, where its coming from e.g. brain pot and if its an airborne sound or noise caused by vibration going into the floor, so depending on your situation some or all of the following might help.

A heavy dense rubber underneath the noisy brain pot/pump

Acoustic floor insulation batten placed between your floor joists.

Try and keep the pump from touching the base of the floor using rubber feet or sponges, thus disconnecting the pump from touching anything that can soak up and transmit sound.

Hang pump to ceiling using bungee straps.

Add another layer of plasterboard in your room and use acoustic Greenglue acoustic compound as the sandwich between the 2 layers of plasterboard and acoustic sealant in any small means of sound escape.

Just some ideas, its difficult to eliminate sound altogether but look for sources of sound escape in your room, have well fitted doors, storm guards at the bottom etc.

To mask sound try setting your 7 day gas boiler timer to come on when the pump is feeding/returning. Add a radio at lowish volume and casually mention to all that you have tinnatus and music helps mask the humming in your head/ears and helps stop going crazy and sleep if you run lights on at night, or possibly switch the lights on to daytime running as their is more ambient noise from traffic in the day and not dead quiet like at night time.

Best of luck, noise can be a real threat so let us know what helps !!

Hope i've given you some ideas and things to work on

Edited by photobat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, photobat said:

Hi,

My brain pot a mj1200 return feed water pump causes me the most stress due to vibration noise getting transferred into my property, i have concerns that this may heard or felt in the neighbours house as i live in a semi, this noise is louder than the entire system of fans etc put together, i don't know what exactly is causing your noise issue, where its coming from e.g. brain pot and if its an airborne sound or noise caused by vibration going into the floor, so depending on your situation some or all of the following might help.

A heavy dense rubber underneath the noisy brain pot/pump

Acoustic floor insulation batten placed between your floor joists.

Try and keep the pump from touching the base of the floor using rubber feet or sponges, thus disconnecting the pump from touching anything that can soak up and transmit sound.

Hang pump to ceiling using bungee straps.

Add another layer of plasterboard in your room and use acoustic Greenglue acoustic compound as the sandwich between the 2 layers of plasterboard and acoustic sealant in any small means of sound escape.

Just some ideas, its difficult to eliminate sound altogether but look for sources of sound escape in your room, have well fitted doors, storm guards at the bottom etc.

To mask sound try setting your 7 day gas boiler timer to come on when the pump is feeding/returning. Add a radio at lowish volume and casually mention to all that you have tinnatus and music helps mask the humming in your head/ears and helps stop going crazy and sleep if you run lights on at night, or possibly switch the lights on to daytime running as their is more ambient noise from traffic in the day and not dead quiet like at night time.

Best of luck, noise can be a real threat so let us know what helps !!

Hope i've given you some ideas and things to work on

Hey, thanks. Sounds like my problem is very similar to yours, i've got the mj1000 or 12000 on my rdwc return, secured to the bottom of the bucket with suction feet, I cant suspend it because of the return line attached to it, the sounds been driving me nuts, vibrating through the house, i've got 2 airpumps and the extraction running but its this dull vibrating noise thats doing it, i'm also worrying its vibrating through to the neighbours.

• Like 1

Yes we are in a similar boat and its a right pain in the arse tbh like yours my pump is on rubber feet and i still get this drone of a noise, I can't raise the height of the pump up on sponges(i have tried like 2mm of sponge) or suspended in mid air because then the pump won't drain the brain bucket enough and the low level float switch in the iWS brain bucket will activate thinking there is water in the the brain bucket but the pump will be too high to actually pump anything away and will continue to run 24/7.

I have insulated in between floor joists and laid duralay heavy rubber crump underlay on top of the floor then 12mm ply then 2 more layers of this heavy rubber carpet underlay on top of the ply and sat the brain on top of all that but i still get this Humm/drone noise. 

What i would like to do is have the mj1200 or another pump suspended in mid air in the brain and have the pump entry and exit hoses go down to the bottom of the bucket but i have yet to find any pump suitable with a flow rate of around the 1000ltr per hour mark, i don't want to drop to a lesser flow rate per hour otherwise the flood and drain process will take too long, and its taking 20mins each way at present and that's without going to max flood height, its the only significant noise i have except for a small fan heater for lights off period.

I need to sort this issue once and for all asap as i'm masking the sound with my boiler and music but that's not a long term solution really, just a bit stumped with how to sort the issue, i was going to suspend the whole brain pot off the floor with bungees to the ceiling but the brain is quite heavy when full approx 15kg and it would stretch the bungees and mess up the flood/drain heights etc, maybe i will try with just rope to the ceiling, i can only have it a few say 5mm off of the floor otherwise my pots will not drain enough and too much water will remain in my pots, maybe 5mm would be enough to cut out the transmission of vibration into the floor because it won't be touching the floor like it is atm but idk :wallbash:

If anyones has got any ideas let us know because it's a big problem tbh

• Like 1

9 hours ago, photobat said:

Yes we are in a similar boat and its a right pain in the arse tbh like yours my pump is on rubber feet and i still get this drone of a noise, I can't raise the height of the pump up on sponges(i have tried like 2mm of sponge) or suspended in mid air because then the pump won't drain the brain bucket enough and the low level float switch in the iWS brain bucket will activate thinking there is water in the the brain bucket but the pump will be too high to actually pump anything away and will continue to run 24/7.

I have insulated in between floor joists and laid duralay heavy rubber crump underlay on top of the floor then 12mm ply then 2 more layers of this heavy rubber carpet underlay on top of the ply and sat the brain on top of all that but i still get this Humm/drone noise. 

What i would like to do is have the mj1200 or another pump suspended in mid air in the brain and have the pump entry and exit hoses go down to the bottom of the bucket but i have yet to find any pump suitable with a flow rate of around the 1000ltr per hour mark, i don't want to drop to a lesser flow rate per hour otherwise the flood and drain process will take too long, and its taking 20mins each way at present and that's without going to max flood height, its the only significant noise i have except for a small fan heater for lights off period.

I need to sort this issue once and for all asap as i'm masking the sound with my boiler and music but that's not a long term solution really, just a bit stumped with how to sort the issue, i was going to suspend the whole brain pot off the floor with bungees to the ceiling but the brain is quite heavy when full approx 15kg and it would stretch the bungees and mess up the flood/drain heights etc, maybe i will try with just rope to the ceiling, i can only have it a few say 5mm off of the floor otherwise my pots will not drain enough and too much water will remain in my pots, maybe 5mm would be enough to cut out the transmission of vibration into the floor because it won't be touching the floor like it is atm but idk :wallbash:

If anyones has got any ideas let us know because it's a big problem tbh

Oh wow, you've tried a lot. Doesn't give me much hope for the washing machine vibration mat i ordered. Regrettably i went with xl pots in my rdwc so I'd have  to suspend about 30kg, also ive got hard 2" pipes connecting them, which really limits flexibility, think i might try changing the pipes so i can raise the headbucket a bit, hoping the 6mm mat doesnt cause any leaks 

• Like 1

There are a few modifications u can make to the pump to dull the noise.

I don't recommend them.

I find the airstones can be the noisy bitches....which are u using ? 

If you want to eliminate it completely the options are very expensive and involves using DC pumps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dsmile said:

Oh wow, you've tried a lot. Doesn't give me much hope for the washing machine vibration mat i ordered. Regrettably i went with xl pots in my rdwc so I'd have  to suspend about 30kg, also ive got hard 2" pipes connecting them, which really limits flexibility, think i might try changing the pipes so i can raise the headbucket a bit, hoping the 6mm mat doesnt cause any leaks 

Hi Dsmile,

I will be interested to see if the 6mm washing machine vibration mat helps, this may well help somewhat more than my rubber crumb underlay, let me know how you get on with it please because like you im having nightmares over this vibration noise, I guess you will try this before resorting to trying to raise the 30kg brain pot up off the floor ?

Best of luck :v:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zen-ken said:

I don't recommend them.

If you want to eliminate it completely the options are very expensive and involves using DC pumps.

Hi Zen-Ken thanks for the response.

I'm using 3 different types of air stones myself,

The Blue triangle looking type ones

A larger grey/green tube style one with square end caps on each end,

and one like the one just mentioned but without the square end caps.

It's hard for me to tell which model is quietest tbh, they are all different sizes and used in different places, the square ended one is in my reservoir, the straight cylinder one is in my brain pot and the sort of triangular shaped ones were used to temporarily turn my aqua farm into a RDWC bucket to plonk 2 iws baskets into to finish a couple of late flowering plants off in, which seemed to work ok tbh, which i was quite chuffed with myself for my out the box type thinking!! :toldya: It would be great to hear your thoughts on which style of air stone is quietest as noise of any sort is my biggest issue.

Water pump cost is not my main concern, its all about stealth and reliability tbh, I didn't know anything about DC pumps but i have now had a look into them, i even found BLDC pumps, i think the BL stands for Brush less, and these and stated to be the quietest and still very efficient, so now i am wondering if its possible to have a DC pump wired into the Brain Bucket of a IWS system :unsure: i am not an electrician and just don't know, do you have any idea ?

I feel like you might be onto something here, many thanks :yep:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zen-ken said:

I don't recommend them.

Im using 2 airpumps a haeliav30 and haelia silent connected to 2x 5cm ball airstones per bucket, the pumps are noisy as hell but hanging them from bunjees stopped the noise passing through the house, by turning everything off 1 at a time i found most low pitch vibrations are caused by the recirculation water pump

Edited by Dsmile
Spelling
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, photobat said:

Hi Zen-Ken thanks for the response.

I'm using 3 different types of air stones myself,

The Blue triangle looking type ones

A larger grey/green tube style one with square end caps on each end,

and one like the one just mentioned but without the square end caps.

It's hard for me to tell which model is quietest tbh, they are all different sizes and used in different places, the square ended one is in my reservoir, the straight cylinder one is in my brain pot and the sort of triangular shaped ones were used to temporarily turn my aqua farm into a RDWC bucket to plonk 2 iws baskets into to finish a couple of late flowering plants off in, which seemed to work ok tbh, which i was quite chuffed with myself for my out the box type thinking!! :toldya: It would be great to hear your thoughts on which style of air stone is quietest as noise of any sort is my biggest issue.

Water pump cost is not my main concern, its all about stealth and reliability tbh, I didn't know anything about DC pumps but i have now had a look into them, i even found BLDC pumps, i think the BL stands for Brush less, and these and stated to be the quietest and still very efficient, so now i am wondering if its possible to have a DC pump wired into the Brain Bucket of a IWS system :unsure: i am not an electrician and just don't know, do you have any idea ?

I feel like you might be onto something here, many thanks :yep:

Be careful with sizings....I ordered a jaboa one and it was fucking huge lol

I don't recommend them.

I always raid the aquatics websites for this kind of information....you would be surprised the little nuggets I have gained from these sites.

(Try warehouse aquatics and blog sites)

I currently use a newajet 4500.....can't recommend them enough....Great pump....but I have mine external and bungy roped up. Eheim make great aquarium gear as well.

Pricing on the best DC sump/return/multi pumps start at 200 which was a little rich for me.

:smokin:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

I use Japanese ceramic airstones......biggest and heaviest I can afford at the time.....proper koi ones.

Stops them bouncing around in the pots 

Edited by zen-ken

This is going to be a problem as ime the pump still makes the pipes and pots vibrate.

If u search for acoustic matting you will find sites with many great ideas for noise cancellation.

Don't just raise the brain.....the whole system needs to sit at the same height....raise it all or raise nothing