First Coco Grow - which pots and Coco Coir?

Vapehead

You're not going to need anything bigger than 15L pots if your doing 4 in that space...you could probably get away with 10L pots and still only have to water once a day. You can grow a plant with half a k on it in a 20L pot of coco...

To give you an idea have a look at my L.ED to Believe diary in my sig :yep:

• Like 1

I believe the light you are using is only 150w even though they like to make you think its equivalent to a 1000w so even with 2 your space is well under lit so big pots are definitely out. I wouldnt go above 10ltrs

Owd

• Like 1

As Owd spotted, even with two of those lights you are underpowered.  No point having huge pots if your lights can't power the buds. 

Aye, coco is inert so pre-water with food and at ph 6ish. 

I've never used air/fabric pots, but I can see transplanting being a headache.  Maybe just use them for finals, I reckon potting up from plastic would be easier. 

I grow in coco using fabric pots and ionics coco nutes and in the past have had some big yields of grade A smoke. 
as others have said no point in going with too big a pot in coco. 
is I have used fabric pots for so long I now have a technique for removing the pots for potting up. 
The key is to let them dry out a little more than you would between waterings. Then I grip a bit of the fabric on the bottom of the pots and use that to pull the bottom of the pot off all the roots, you can hear them tear. Then I use the bottom of the pot to slowly slide up off the rootball. I then just fill the next pot so the top of the medium lines up with the edge of the new pot, then I fill with coco and give them a good feed with plenty of run off. I never get any transplant shock. also I have found from culling males that after about 2-3 days in their new pots the plants had already put horizontal roots out the side of the pots as well and straight down. 

Wizard :oldtoker:

• Like 1

@stonerwizard how big are these pots Wiz?

e2a So rooting growing through fabric pots is a myth then? I've grown through the jiffy outer layer (without removing it). I would have thought that the principle is the same

Edited by ScapeGoat
  • Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 4:42 PM, zeroG said:

If youre new to coco, just go to the coco experts, imho anyway, which is Canna. Canna coco professional coir meduim, Canna A&B nutrients - and that is seriously all you'll need for a first grow.

The most important thing being PH, do that part after youve mixed your nutes. 5.5 - 6.5, you know already im sure - but its useful to use all that PH window, and more, or less micro/macro nutrients become available at differing minutia in the pH...

You really, really , really dont need any 'additives', 'carb boosters', 'root juices' or anything other than 1 drop, and I mean that too! of Supervit per 4.5L of water...and you guessd it... i really, really, really mean that!!!

Do it by the numbers, if in doubt check out my diary in my sig...

Coco is for noobie doos like me, it must be the easiest growing technique in the history of growing techniques to learn, and produce good crops. The mastery takes a bit more as it does with everything.

Good luck!

Cheers mate. :yep: I'll definitely need the luck. :lucky: I'll check out your diary too.

I've already bought the stuff yesterday in the early hours, when I was paid. I went for Canna Coco Pro Plus. I also bought Advanced Nutrients Coco Grow. As I said, no need to PH with that, which makes life much simpler. Have been working with them for DWC and really liked how my plants looked. I'll be checking EC/PPM before watering and the run off afterwards.

On 10/01/2021 at 10:18 PM, Notorious B.U.D said:

You're not going to need anything bigger than 15L pots if your doing 4 in that space...you could probably get away with 10L pots and still only have to water once a day. You can grow a plant with half a k on it in a 20L pot of coco...

To give you an idea have a look at my L.ED to Believe diary in my sig :yep:

Will defintely check out your diary. :yep:

On 10/01/2021 at 10:32 PM, Owderb said:

I believe the light you are using is only 150w even though they like to make you think its equivalent to a 1000w so even with 2 your space is well under lit so big pots are definitely out. I wouldnt go above 10ltrs

Owd

On 11/01/2021 at 0:13 AM, fatboy77 said:

As Owd spotted, even with two of those lights you are underpowered.  No point having huge pots if your lights can't power the buds. 

I couldn't stretch to the Air Rap pots this time, as they're really expensive, so I just got the normal air pots - 1L, 3L and 9L for now. I'll get some 15L Air Rap pots for finals next week. Am not remotely concerned with my lighting being underpowered. Firstly, Mars Hydro state that 1 x TS 1000 can power 90x90xm grow space for veg, and 60x60cm for flower. https://www.mars-hydro.com/mars-ts-1000-led-full-spectrum-hydroponic-led-grow-light. So, if  they're correct then 2 should be fine, and I plan on getting a second very soon. Secondly, if 2 are not enough, I also have a 400w HPS and a 315w CDM (flowering). I was going to sell these 2 lights but will now keep them just in case more power is needed.  I may flower with 2 Mars Hydros and the CDM.

4 hours ago, stonerwizard said:

The key is to let them dry out a little more than you would between waterings. Then I grip a bit of the fabric on the bottom of the pots and use that to pull the bottom of the pot off all the roots, you can hear them tear. Then I use the bottom of the pot to slowly slide up off the rootball. I then just fill the next pot so the top of the medium lines up with the edge of the new pot, then I fill with coco and give them a good feed with plenty of run off. I never get any transplant shock. also I have found from culling males that after about 2-3 days in their new pots the plants had already put horizontal roots out the side of the pots as well and straight down. 

Letting them dry out a little bit more for transplanting is exactly how I used to do it in soil. I'll have a look at transplanting techniques for air pots.

I've sanitized the grow room and am ready to go again. I'll be collecting the cuttings from my mate tomorrow. :) Unfortunately, all the Orange Sherbets have now been taken. I'll be getting 2 OZK (love OG Kush :wub: so this cross should be lovely), 1 Zkittlez and 1 Critical tomorrow. I wanted to take them when my stuff arrives but I think I should grab them now before anyone else does. Will have to feed them with the hydro nutes until the Coco ones arrive, which is not ideal, but still better than nothing.

• Like 2

OZK is my wake and bake this morning, and current favourite toot.  Big up. 

Edited by fatboy77
Yeah I just got up, what of it?

1 minute ago, fatboy77 said:

OZK is my wake and bake this morning, and current favourite toot.  Big up. 

Great to hear! :yep:

I got my lazy arse out of bed at 1.30 today! lol Not my fault - I blame that lovely heavy indica Harriboz I bought and vaped last night! :stoned:lol

6 hours ago, ScapeGoat said:

@stonerwizard how big are these pots Wiz?

e2a So rooting growing through fabric pots is a myth then? I've grown through the jiffy outer layer (without removing it). I would have thought that the principle is the same

I personally haven’t had big roots grow through. I have seen pics where it’s happened online just never had it happen myself. The idea is they start to grow through them and die off. If they’re surviving outside the pot then there must be high humidity or something. I have always struggled to keep my rh up during veg. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stonerwizard said:

I personally haven’t had big roots grow through. I have seen pics where it’s happened online just never had it happen myself. The idea is they start to grow through them and die off. If they’re surviving outside the pot then there must be high humidity or something. I have always struggled to keep my rh up during veg. 

Meant when transplanting. So you don't remove the fabric you just put it in the bigger pot and the roots grow through into the moisture and the medium of the bigger fabric pot.

I'm going to try it one day soon just to see what happens. Doubt it will work but if it does it will save me a lot of time.

32 minutes ago, ScapeGoat said:

Meant when transplanting. So you don't remove the fabric you just put it in the bigger pot and the roots grow through into the moisture and the medium of the bigger fabric pot.

I'm going to try it one day soon just to see what happens. Doubt it will work but if it does it will save me a lot of time.

You can whack that air prune pot in a bigger pot and the roots grow through with ease. Its a struggle not disturbing the root mass when getting them out of the fabrics anyway.I do it myself all the time .

Edited by Wrist Stem 420
  • Like 1

It’s not something I have ever done. I have always removed them without any issues other than it being a bit of a pain in the arse. 

1 hour ago, ScapeGoat said:

@Wrist Stem 420 cheers for confirming mate, what fabric  pot sizes do you pot up from and into?

4 inch pots-3litre fabric-7.5litre fabric-15litre fabric. 

• Like 1

Been a very busy day.

I collected the cuttings at lunch time today. :) They're looking lovely; my mate's done a good job. 

Here they are. The big one is a Critical (Barneys, not a breeder I'd choose myself but it's free) and he'd already put her in a pot of coco. The 2 in front of her are the OZK (unknown breeder - a cut of a cut) and the smallest one in front of them is the Zkittlez (Dying Breed Seeds).  They're all in rockwool. large.5fff3b516608b_Cuttings-Day1.JPG

large.5fff3b520181b_Cuttings-DistanceFromLight.JPG The distance of the LED light from the seedlings. It's at just over 24" above the canopy. On my last grow using DWC, the LED fried my seedlings as it was my first time using it and I was caught out by how powerful it was because it hardly emits any heat. So this time I'm defintely erring on the side of caution.

They're looking better now than earlier. I think they were shocked by being out in cold temperatures when I went to pick them up.

I had to cancel my order for the hydro stuff - coco, pots, etc. Because of the Covid circumstances it was going to take a long time to process the order and deliver it, so I went to the hydro shop locally. I bought a bag of Canna Coco Professional Plus, 4 x 2L Air Rap Pruning pots and saucers, Ecothrive Charge and Ecothrive Biosys. They didn't have any final 15L Air Raps, so I had to order them from somewhere else.

The 3 in rockwool are ready to transplant into coco asap. Do I need to prepare the coco with nutrients and cal-mag, and if so can I transplant straight away or do I need to wait a while?

My mate said that he was feeding them at 40ml per 10L - Canna and Rhizotonic. Am using Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow for DWC but it can be used for coco if I add a little cal-mag, which I have. How much should I feed these girls tonight?

When watering in coco, do I top or bottom feed? The people at the hydro shop said it's better to feed from the bottom - is this right? If so, how can I measure the EC of the run off? If I top feed, should I get rid of the run off immediately or do the roots need to have a drink for a few minutes?

Also, I've read that EC should be around 0.7-0.8 and should be gradually increased throughout veg? The article said that the run off should be no more than 300 points higher than the inflow.

Do I need to do a weekly flush?

Sorry for all the questions. I wanted to research this for a bit longer but didn't get the time, unfortunately, as my mate wanted me to take the cuttings asap.

Edited by Vapehead