Coco, LED light and CalMag; when/how to feed it?

FlyingArse

On 08/02/2022 at 11:54 AM, mysticriver said:

Welcome to the club -

My tap is at 0.7ec. Last week I found out that it was even killing my seeds (I now use RO for germinating with success), and i always had problems with plant deficiencies when I used tap water for growing. 

In my circumstances there was no other option but RO - I tried everything before.

mystic

Out of interest mate, what RO system did you go for? Also i take it you now need to add CalMag?

On 05/01/2021 at 1:26 PM, fatboy77 said:

Ffs so many people passing this bollocks around.... 

This entire industry if filled with these things.

"Got a Problem? Here's a bottle for that"

• Like 8

On 05/01/2021 at 4:23 PM, fatboy77 said:

Living darn sarf I've got it sweet, but it tastes like shite. 

Incredibly random but do you have non return valves on your pipes?

We're down south too and ours tasted terrible until I fitted non return valves on everything under the sink but mainly the dishwasher. The problem is that water can return from that pipe into your tap supply which isn't a huge problem but the rubber pipes will be making the horrible taste. I went from never drinking tap water to having it with every meal. Absolute game changer.

• Like 2

I spent years struggling to find nutes I was happy with but before then came the enforced shut-down  :police:...

Some time later I was in a position to start again safely so went to the local growshop to have a looksee what they had to offer...

Pompous knowitall git owns the place but he put me on to  ADVANCED : SENSI PH PERFECT  nutes...which I've been using ever since.

My tapwater is .4ec but these nutes will work just as well with RO.

Two part grow, two part bloom and a drop of Buddhas Tree PK is all I use...no other additives and no ph adjustment 

TBF it's not the cheapest but I've not had a crop failure, lost a plant or even a single yellow leaf. 

If you're tearing your hair out...give it a try...:yep:

• Like 3

posted results on another thread. don't need extra calcium, you'll just cause a lock out. send off a sample. see my results here... bmth water

fyi. I think they may beed more magnesium as this generates chlorophyll production and the higher photons from the leds requires more chlorophyll but if your minerals are in a decent range, you shouldn't need any extra. check your water!!!!!!!

We have analysed your water results and comments are below, values in parts per million (ppm) except pH.

Calcium 86

Magnesium 6

Sulphate 2

Alkalinity 280

pH 7.90

This is a moderate to very hard water, with moderate-high Calcium high alkalinity and low Magnesium and Sulphate.

Due to the high Calcium and low Magnesium of this water when mixed with our food the Calcium: Magnesium ratio will be outside of the good range when using Hydro or soil food and just inside the good range if using Coco.

We would recommend using extra Magnesium or ordering a custom food if growing in Hydro.

In soil it will depend on the amount of Magnesium in your soil/compost but either the addition of dolomitic limestone or some extra Magnesium with the feed.

In coco the ratio is inside the good range so either use the food as is and watch out for signs of Mg deficiency or add some extra Magnesium to the feed. We could do a custom coco food for this water but strictly speaking you don't really need one.

In all cases when adding extra Magnesium the easiest and cheapest way is to use Epsom salts from the supermarket or chemist, we will happily calculate the exact amount to use for you when we know what type of food you wish to use, generally it is a few grams per 10liters of water so not a great hassle.

Hope this was helpful any questions get back to us.

Kind regards

2 hours ago, stu914 said:

TBF it's not the cheapest but I've not had a crop failure, lost a plant or even a single yellow leaf. 

I don't know how strong it is but if it needs similar dosages (e.g 3ml/ltr) then it's about 2.5 times the price of most other nutrients. I've never had a crop failure or lost a plant either.

I'm not* saying anything about yellow leaves though :blushing: :kwasny:

Edited by KC
not*
  • Like 1

Just now, KC said:

2.5 times the price of most other nutrients.

I use about 1ltr bloom and just a few mill grow per crop which works out around £20.

Not having to ph is the main reason I use it, saves a bit on ph down and a lot of time faffing about...:yep:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, J.C said:

what RO system did you go for? Also i take it you now need to add CalMag?

I have the Hikins 5 stage reverse osmosis water system 600GPD under-sink with tap, and the VYAIR e-chen 600GPD diagrphram booster pump with power supply (both from d'river)

With my pressure, without a booster pump, the flow is a bit of a trickle, but with the booster pump, I get RO water that has 95% of contaminants removed and measures a steady 35 microsiemens (0.035ec/~19PPM) at a flow rate of 1L/min.

And yes I do use calmag (shogun) - I add just over 1mllL to take the ec to 400/0.4, and grow in ecothrive coco lite 70/30.

mystic

• 3 weeks later...